Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way that Disney would dare to fire/“demote” Steven Effing Spielberg for something his child does, and I’m certain if they did that they’d be looking for a new Indy as well.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

It's a great film, however I thought the ending was a teensy bit rushed.

It doesn’t quite achieve greatness for me, but in the comic-book/superhero landscape it’s very good.

I heard Spielberg stepped down from this as he's now being eyed to take over from Bob Iger at Disney. His first enactment as CEO will be to bring in his pal George as the new overseer of Star Wars.

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Wow, going from the "core 5" of the series to potentially just Ford. No Lucas, no Spielberg directing, no Khan editing, potentially no Williams scoring?

Oh my gosh, Crumbs. I just realized this means we won't have Kamiński filming the next one. :woop:

6 hours ago, HunterTech said:

It still weirds me out that despite the amount of crazy stuff that happens, people still consider the MCU bland. Like I get why some would say that by account on how strictly formula it is, but it's just fascinating that it'd turn out that way.

“It’s not what a movie is about, it’s how it is about it” - Roger Ebert

6 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

I take it she's adopted?

She is. 

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

I heard Spielberg stepped down from this as he's now being eyed to take over from Bob Iger at Disney.

Sorry, Lee, but Iger's successor has been appointed.

3 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Oh my gosh, Crumbs. I just realized this means we won't have Kamiński filming the next one. :woop:

That is great news, hopefully they can closer emulate Slocombe's earthy, contrast-heavy style instead of Kaminski's approach. 

WoW shocking news. But why don't they make the last one with ford and then reboot the whole thing? Or introduce the successor in this film by with the original crew....

Damn, I wanted a Williams score :/ and the Indy series to end well rounded...

36 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

There was once a time that this news would have been enough reason for JWFan to lower the flag half-staff. What happened?!

Honestly, this is good news. Spielberg doesn’t need to be attached to this pathetic attempt at a sequel.

Lucas did the Young Indy Chronicles back in the early 90's and it was a bold educational idea, to have Indy meet Freud, signposts of history and so on, to give it an edge beyond endless escapism. This would be nigh impossible today, except for a Disney+ tv series and that's exactly where Indy belongs: a reboot sans Ford, with a fresher outlook on things than remaking old serials. 

I'm not unhappy about this, the more I think about it. Spielberg clearly wasn't comfortable making a new Indiana Jones in the style of the original trilogy. Why attempt the same thing unless you're going to right the wrongs of Indy 4?

The last few minutes of this review brilliantly surmise what separates KOCS from the originals and makes some astute observations about why Spielberg probably isn't the right fit for Indy anymore. Maybe he reached the same conclusion?

An added bonus here is that Koepp will surely be booted off the project without Spielberg's direct input. Please get some competent screenwriters for this, not proven failures who already botched their chances.

The fact that he's walked also suggests he isn't even arsed about making amends for Crystal Skull anymore. I'm sure I remember seeing him implying in some interview that he wanted to do that with Indy 5.

44 minutes ago, crumbs said:

An added bonus here is that Koepp will surely be booted off the project without Spielberg's direct input.

I really hope so. Koepp's writing was just terrible on Crystal Skull.

9 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The fact that he's walked also suggests he isn't even arsed about making amends for Crystal Skull anymore. I'm sure I remember seeing him implying in some interview that he wanted to do that with Indy 5.

Bit of a shame that he doesn't care about Indy 4 being his swan song in the saga. What a horrible way to close things off (maybe he's worried Indy 5 will be even worse and it's better to quit with just the one dud?)

*Mangold gets chosen as director for Indy V*

The trailer:

Bearded, grizzled Indy with a sad look, says: "Sallah, the world isn't the same anymore", as Johnny Cash's Hurt plays on the background over some sad, depressing scenes. Then, the title of the movie: "Henry".

(how come no one has made this meme yet?)

18 hours ago, Quintus said:

In the scheme of things, Spielberg bailing is probably beneficial to this film - remembering very well here that he's been sick of the whole affair for DECADES. Not only that, but Stevie's exciting movie mojo is already sitting pretty in the care home, where it's been enjoying bed baths for the past ten years. He's not fit for high adventure any more.

You can forgot John "stale" Williams too; the most damaging thing about this change is yet more delay in its actual production. Indiana Jones is a legendary trilogy from a bygone golden era in American blockbuster cinema. It shouldn't be remembered as the time cursed cobble job it's becoming. It's undignified. Just let it RIP.

You say he's not fit for high adventure any more, but I got a real kick out of Ready Player One (and also Tintin, but maybe it being nearly 10 years old means I shouldn't count it in).    

On 2/27/2020 at 2:49 PM, crumbs said:

maybe he's worried Indy 5 will be even worse and it's better to quit with just the one dud?

That’s where my thinking is at. I think Indy 5 is doomed to fail because: a) it’s a sequel in a series is quite simply done and over with and b) it’s an action-adventure film whose hero is pushing 80.

I’m actually very happy Spielberg isn’t directing this.

34 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

You say he's not fit for high adventure any more, but I got a real kick out of Ready Player One (and also Tintin, but maybe it being nearly 10 years old means I shouldn't count it in).    

I actually sort of enjoyed RPO, especially on small screen, but at no point did it feel like a Spielberg film. It was very J.J. Abrams.

Karol

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Bit of a shame that he doesn't care about Indy 4 being his swan song in the saga. What a horrible way to close things off (maybe he's worried Indy 5 will be even worse and it's better to quit with just the one dud?)

Everyone who thinks Indy 4 was bad will hate Indy 5 even more. There is no logic trying to make another film to "amend" things, because fans will never be pleased.  Every new film will make it worse. Once a franchise has peaked, there's nothing you can do. That's why it's wise to know when to end it.

Fans always want new films, until they get them; then, they hate them, and want even more films. 

(Fans wanted more SW. Disney made VII to please them. Fans said it was too derivative. Dinsney made VIII radically different. Fans said it was too different. Disney made IX trying to placate everyone. Fans said it was a stupid film. 

And the worse thing is, all this was predictable back in 2013!)

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I actually sort of enjoyed RPO, especially on small screen.

The marketing on that one made me think I’d hate it. It’s a testament to Spielberg’s skill that I didn’t. I still didn’t think much of it, though.

A Terrence Malick directed Indiana Jones movie is all you need. Indy wondering through the grass reminiscing about how, even despite he have lived all this great adventures, he's still so miserable.

52 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

A Terrence Malick directed Indiana Jones movie is all you need. Indy wondering through the grass reminiscing about how, even despite he have lived all this great adventures, he's still so miserable.

Would make for a great score.