Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

I was thinking this the other day. What LFL should do is to cancel the fifth movie already and make a Triple A video-game based on the franchise. Ford could be the voice actor for Indy (but not the motion capture), or, if he doesn't want to work for a videogame, hire an impersonator that can do his voice from the 80s. 

Also, Williams could provide the main themes for the game, with another composer (like Gordy) making the old and new themes into an underscore for the game. It'd be a Solo-ish collaboration, but for a videogame.

The only way to bring the franchise back without making an elderly Harrison Ford into an unbelieavable action hero is animation, either for a movie or a game. We haven't got a big Indy game since the PS2 (!) generation.

Nah, just make Indy 5 fully mocapped like Tintin. Ford can still play the role and voice the part (of a younger Indy). And with the latest cutting edge technology in graphics (the Tintin movie was 9 years ago) the visuals could be absolutely stunning. I don't know why they don't just concede that an 80yr old man jogging around playing an action hero is just... undignified. A fully animated Indy movie could be great and I'd suddenly be interested in a sequel again.

Either that, or get ILM to deepfake the fuck out of Ford's performance.

Mangold did an excellent job with Logan telling a fitting story of an aged hero, playing with classic super hero tropes, making something akin to a modern day western, and doing justice to the central character. I can see him doing something similar that feels appropriate to Indy while also grounded in the reality of how fuckin' old Ford is instead of trying to recreate the past and pretend Indy is ageless like KOTCS. I think Mangold might be able to get a genuine, soulful performance out of Ford as well.

13 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Mangold did an excellent job with Logan telling a fitting story of an aged hero, playing with classic super hero tropes, making something akin to a modern day western, and doing justice to the central character.

Do you really want the sombre, sanguinous style of Logan in an Indiana Jones film?!

Given Ford's age, the proper equivalent won't be between him and Wolverine in Logan: it would be between him and Professor Xavier in that film. Dunno about you, but that's not something I want to see. I'd rather stay with the Indy from The Last Crusade.

Let Indy go.

13 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Something like this would be ideal. 

Holy shit lol. I'm so glad I never watched that movie a second time. Is that really how the scene went? All those gags with Indy accidentally shooting bad guys? Spielberg is so corny sometimes. Love the shot of all the prairie dogs, lol.

I would watch the whole movie again if it was all like this.

7 hours ago, Smeltington said:

All those gags with Indy accidentally shooting bad guys?

It has never looked like an accident to me. I remember reading somewhere an explanation that Indy as a former American soldier knew that a mass-produced Thompson can fire if dropped with enough force, and the Russians didn't.

It's related to "I like Ike".

After rewatching the previs and having some more big laughs, yes, I think you're right, it's not supposed to be accidental. Instead, it's laughable due to the idea that he could successfully shoot someone using his whip to aim and fire a gun that was in someone else's hands, and then successfully shoot someone else by dropping a gun in just the right way. Indy was always cartoony but this is next level.

Even though this was Williams' least good Indy score, it's still so much better than the film it was written for, that it actually goes even further to proving his godliness.

1 minute ago, Smeltington said:

Even though this was Williams' least good Indy score, it's still so much better than the film it was written for, that it actually goes even further to proving his godliness.

Yes!

The best parts of the score are all during the most inspired parts of the movie.

The last third of that movie is very uninspired and sadly the music follows suit.

- Way too many characters along for the ride

- Mac's storyline became a joke unto itself

- Nobody cared about Oxley

- a lackluster jungle chase scene that can't even be mentioned in the same breath as it's predecessors,

- a complete jumbled mess as to how they finally get to the interdimensional beings. (3 waterfalls with no sense of peril and the Ugha Warriors were treated like a joke)

Still love it though.  :lol:  The good still outweighs the bad for me.

I watched KOTC the other day and it’s so obvious they didn’t film in any of the locations that are depicted (I understand it was all filmed in the US).

Also the depiction of Peru is clumsy at best. Chichen Itzá is in Mexico and the Nazca lines aren’t in the middle of the Peruvian jungle. Also, Mariachi music for Peru? Really?

I realise it’s fiction but still...

1 minute ago, Alex said:

I watched KOTC the other day and it’s so obvious they didn’t film in any of the locations that are depicted (I understand it was all filmed in the US).

Also the depiction of Peru is clumsy at best. Chichan Itzá is in Mexico and the Nazca lines aren’t in the middle of the Peruvian jungle. Also, Mariachi music for Peru? Really?

I realise it’s fiction but still...

Yeah agreed.  The sets weren't fooling anyone.  The sets in the previous movies had a sense of realism to them.

Maybe Kathleen Kennedy will be free soon to helm this project, and lead the clichéed and regressive series into the 21st century, by bringing the cucking of Indiana Jones full circle, or, as it's called in inside terms, doing a Picardectomy. 

2 hours ago, Bellosh said:

i actually thought the nuclear explosion and the ufo taking off looked good.:blush:

They did..screw the critics!

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes!

I bought the Concord box and sold SKULL  off.

Very disappointing score though I really liked the film

• 2 months later...

Koepp on why Spielberg left the movie:

“I tried a couple different versions with Steven and they all had some good stuff about them and they all had some stuff that didn’t work, which happens. But it was just very hard to have everybody come together and have all the elements — Steven, Harrison (Ford), the script and Disney — come together at once. And it didn’t,” Koepp said.

“When James Mangold came in and Steven stepped out, that was a pretty logical breaking point,”Koepp told Den of Geek. “It’s a gracious time to step out the door because I think the last thing a new director wants is the old director’s writer. I mean, that’s a drag. The last thing you need is some guy sitting around with his arms folded saying, ‘Well, the way Steven would have done it is…’ I had one nice friendly conversation with him and then I’m sure he wanted to be able to move on anyway. Everybody was pretty polite, I thought.”

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1150126-david-koepp-explains-why-steven-spielberg-left-indiana-jones-5

I really genuinely hope this will never happen. And not even for the reasons you'd think. The new film could potentially delay the release of Williams' complete scores even further! ;)

Plus I don't want to watch it.

Karol

A motivated Spielberg with a story and a plan could have probably pulled something successful off immediately after the Disney/Lucasfilm sale, but it sounds like they were never able to find a way to make it  work.  Now, time is going by and the star is only getting older.  I think COVID was probably the last nail in the coffin of Indy 4.  Who knows when they'll be able to safely film something of this scale with the requirements involved (COVID control generally, international travel, location shooting, etc.).  And if they filmed it all domestically with liberal use of green screen, would anybody WANT to watch that?  MAYBE they could pull it off reasonably with the new technology developed for The Mandalorian....

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

A motivated Spielberg with a story and a plan could have probably pulled something successful

No.

Ford is too old to play an adventurer and action hero. He already was too old for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

No script and no director are getting around this simple fact.

Every time this topic gets bumped, I get nervous that this movie is really going to happen.  For better or worse.

But the thought of another John Williams Indy score.....well that makes me :w00t:

Also, Shia LaBeouf has redeemed himself with his acting roles since KOTCS, (not that he was ever bad, even in KOTCS --- it was mostly a poorly written character.). Take the Diner/Exposition scene, he's really good there.  I'd be most welcome to see him as Mutt again.  Hopefully he drops the 'Mutt' and goes by Henry.

Is that a hot take?  I dunno, but this film probably isn't happening, so who cares, right?

Bringing Ford back is silly, they need to do a full reboot with younger actors and even then they don't 'need' to do it. They're just wringing out the last sour drops of this franchise now and it's sad. Let the original films stand as they are!

11 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Why do you say that?

COVID mainly. International travel is just too restrictive right now and there's no end in sight.

And nobody wants another Indy film shot entirely in the US on a soundstage.

Thinking of KOTCS, I wish they’d do a “special cut” without the Shia/Tarzan-scene... and maybe get rid of that ridiculous cgi-gopher in the paramount intro.

Everything else I can forgive, and it’s not a bad movie, but those two things really take me out of the experience.

Not just Scotland, but north west Scotland. We have a thing called the Screen Machine (don't believe me? Google it), which tours the "highlands and islands" three times per year. Last time it was here was in January, but I couldn't go, because my car was fucked (a car is essential, up here). There appears to be no sign of it returning, any time, soon. Pity. I'll probably miss NO TIME TO DIE.

On 9/30/2020 at 8:52 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

We have a thing called the Screen Machine (don't believe me? Google it)

I googled it, and... LOL! I can't believe that exists!

_96355566_screenone.jpg

screenmachine2.jpg

I guess you could call it a...

Movie trailer!

:banana: