Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

It's called disagreeing with a consensus.

But change the word to actor if it helps ya.

Star and actor are not exactly the same in my book.

Karol

Nathan Fillion is average at best, a guy whose name is consistently brought up by Whedon fans for every nerd property solely because he played a rip-off of Han Solo in Firefly.

I've only ever watched Firefly from Whedon's TV and base all my appreciation of Fillion on his Captain Mal. I'm sorry if that's considered unreasonable by bananas George Clooney worshippers.

Kyle Chandler has always had that 'Classic Hollywood' vibe. He can play any era. King Kong he pulled-off the 30's actor, in Super 8 he matched the 70's feel. And he's good in present day. I don't know about Indy, but he would definitely excel in an Indy film.

Some of the Clooney Bruce Wayne scenes weren't half bad. He kinda pulled off this older semi-retired version of the character pretty well. In my opinion, better than a bearded limping Christian Bale, however long after The Dark Knight that was supposed to take place.

Kyle Chandler has always had that 'Classic Hollywood' vibe. He can play any era. King Kong he pulled-off the 30's actor, in Super 8 he matched the 70's feel. And he's good in present day. I don't know about Indy, but he would definitely excel in an Indy film.

I can agree with that.

Bloody hell I agree. He's like a suave Bruce Campbell.

Some of the Clooney Bruce Wayne scenes weren't half bad. He kinda pulled off this older semi-retired version of the character pretty well. In my opinion, better than a bearded limping Christian Bale, however long after The Dark Knight that was supposed to take place.

It was only like 6 years.

The third one is the most heinous, when all of a sudden, Gotham City changes from what seems like a coastal city to a deep inland city with three rivers just because they need a football stadium. And during the final chase sequence, the number of times they recycle shots down the same city streets is very annoying.

I would consider Chicago to be a coastal city, ie you can go pretty far out from the dock area and still see water. Like New York, where its coastline is wide rivers that turn into bay before ocean. Chicago just happens to be on a giant freshwater lake. I realize that BB Gotham has rivers because that's where their narrows is located when the inmates escape and Batman saves Joffrey. But using Pittsburgh for the new Gotham footage betrays all previous skylines by showing fewer skyscrapers, less urban buildup (it's a small city), and narrow rivers you can swim across.

Of course, because the Batwing hauls the nuke out to sea. Except that's not possible when you use Pittsburgh as part of your Gotham. Took me right out of the film.

Well, the fact that "Wayne Manor" is about 20 miles from where I live took me out of the movie (Not to mention the fact it has been rebuilt as an old building? What?). Guess you can't avoid stuff like that. But that's what you get with real life locations.

Karo

The original Matrix script actually made it quite clear it was supposed to be Chicago (probably because the Wachowski's are from there), but that was changed to a nondescript location when they decided to film in Sydney. I think it works better this way.

I read a Cracked article that said The Matrix filmed with all the twins they could find in Sydney to suggest a lazy programmer was repeating people.

Took two days to film.

The Matrix makes me laugh because of all the obvious Sydney landmarks even though it's supposed to be some generic American city.

To the rest of the world it was a different city, one we can't easily identify. We didn't laugh. In fact, we paid attention to the lady in red.

Australians always laugh whenever they see something so obviously local in an American movie.

I remember everyone laughed at that shot of Sydney at the end of Independence Day, but we all snicker whenever Hollywood filmmakers try to pass off one of our cities as their own.

I wonder if Canadians are the same when they see a film trying to pass off Vancouver as New York?