Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

5 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

Of course, but I don't have to like it

Probably a forgone conclusion. And go! - you now have 3 years to moan about its existence! 

Harrison Ford does not wear an eyepatch in his single appearance in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (YIJat Mystery of the Blues).

But the late George Hall did, as a 93 year old Indiana. 

57 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Funny that Jason is bringing this up as an issue almost 8 years after KOCS was released.

Once again you are wrong - it wasn't me that brought it up at all. It was fommes. You think I even remembered there was an episode where he had an eye patch?

41 minutes ago, Woj said:

Harrison Ford does not wear an eyepatch in his single appearance in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (YIJat Mystery of the Blues).

But the late George Hall did, as a 93 year old Indiana. 

Oh snap! Shows you how much I remember about that show. So then KOCS didn't contradict the show, then.

So does this film start with a fade from the Disney castle or Paramount mountain?

If the former, maybe we'll see George's haunted castle opener after all!

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It couldn't contradict the show because Lucas and Spielberg didn't even take it into account when making the film anyway!

Indy mentions being with pancho villa when he was young. That happened in the  show

I remember a bearded Ford in a chair holding something, which turned out to be a saxophone. But I never remembered his iconic face sporting an eyepatch. Nor did I watch enough episodes to remember him as an even older man, let alone with an eyepatch. 

Hall (the 90-something-year old Indy) had some funny prologues and epilogues in the series - the reworking for the second home video releases into 2-episode 'movies' was definitely to the detriment of the series.

Ford's guest appearance in Mystery of the Blues as a younger old Indiana Jones was pretty great - the music was a lovely homage to Williams there as well.

Oh, and they do indeed make that very obvious reference to the Young Indy pilot in KOTCS. Nice moment.

12 hours ago, Incanus said:

Will this be the movie Conan O'Brien suggested a few years back when interviewing Harrison Ford: Indiana Jones and the Comfortable Bed where people just bring the treasure to him instead of Indy going after the treasure. You know, because of his age and all.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Lucas did the Young chronicles and he is not ashamed of it. If something was mentioned in KOTCS it was intentional.

This.

On a side note, as i mentioned weeks ago, this new film could be a good possibility to introduce the new Young indy actor in a plot- mcguffin that spans two different eras of Indy's life. Like something he found in the past is needed to find the new artifact. The intro adventure of the film could be that ("Anyplace, 1930"), and then after that short adventure the true film starts with "Otherplace, 1960". And indy could have some flashbacks during the film.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

On a side note, as i mentioned weeks ago, this new film could be a good possibility to introduce the new Young indy actor in a plot- mcguffin that spans two different eras of Indy's life. Like something he found in the past is needed to find the new artifact. The intro adventure of the film could be that ("Anyplace, 1930"), and then after that short adventure the true film starts with "Otherplace, 1960". And indy could have some flashbacks during the film.

So Ford is Indy... part time?

It would be very cool to have a prologue in the '20s with a younger actor playing Indy. There'd be a nice symmetry if the main storyline followed Indy on one last adventure chasing down an artifact from his youth (established in the prologue). 

Kind of like the Cross of Coronado in TLC but for the story proper.

It'll be weird to have another actor play young Indy in a film after River Phoenix already did.

Speaking of The Last Crusade. Was any filmed helped as much by it's casting as TLC was by the masterstroke of having Connery play Indy's dad?

Without that the film would probably not be as well regarded.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Speaking of The Last Crusade. Was any filmed helped as much by it's casting as TLC was by the masterstroke of having Connery play Indy's dad?

Without that the film would probably not be as well regarded.

Yeah that was some spot on casting and chemistry right there.

Loads of people say it's their favourite one. Connery is fantastic in it of course, but I think it's a great comedy adventure framework even if they'd cast someone else. The hilarious dialogue is a bit of a gem. 

This new Indy movie will took place in what... 1968?

Hmm... Vietnam War...Martin Luther King... the Space Race/Apollo 6, 7 & 8... Robert F. Kennedy....

A Great year for an Indy movie...

But are trees okay to have in Indiana Jones movies? I mean, I realise it's not sci-fi an all, but aesthetic offence is a serious matter and must be confronted. Plus these were once Lucasfilm trees we are talking about. 

Quintus - observing the moronic JWFan point of contention surrounding sci-fi trees which nobody actually gives a shit about  

Its not a JWFan thing, just an Alex thing. He prefers sterile corridors over trees in his SF I guess

If Anakin Skywalker had spent all his youth in sterile corridors, he'd have had no midichlorians to shoot into Padme to make twins. 

Damnit, Alex was right.