Hlao-roo

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Amazing it took them so many years to realize that.

I'm tired of these 'thinkpieces' asking why Deadpool did so well in February. Did these people ask the same thing when The Hunger Games and Furious 7 smashed records in March 2012 and April 2015?

Back when films were still a novelty and had to be seen in cinemas, the studios did it year-round (1910-1970). It wasn't until Jaws and Star Wars came out that studios started to think certain months were dumping grounds.

Studios have been making excuses like that for decades. And then they act surprised when a kids' movie like The Lorax opens in March to big numbers, even though "kids aren't out of school yet!" No shit, but they are out on the weekends.

And then some people said Disney was crazy when they scheduled The Force Awakens for December, and that "Star Wars belongs in the summer!" 

Some people are just ignorant.

• 1 month later...

Well, going by the clue in that picture, I'd say, yes, he is.

I'm pretty sure he's cast for that opening scene that Ridley Scott already talked about some time ago. The guy (replicant) in that scene is huge.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed. I think Johannsson can channel the right textures and meditative sound, with something less brooding than Sicario.

Yeah, if Villeneuve sticks with Johannsson, this could work. But in an ideal world, it would be intriguing to see an electronica artist take a stab at it (I'm obviously taking it for granted that Vangelis won't do it). Someone like M83 or Ben Watkins, for example. I also think Hans Zimmer could nail this if he tapped into the Vangelis sound he channeled in certain tracks in INCEPTION and CHAPPIE.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

As a Blade Runner fan, I veto Zimmer since it's not a composer that moves me.

But have you actually heard tracks like "Time" from INCEPTION or "Breaking the Code" from CHAPPIE?

As for being 'moving' or not, that's entirely subjective. All I can say is that there are very few composers who regularly move me as much as Zimmer when he's on. Maybe John Williams, James Horner, Georges Delerue....Danny Elfman when he's in a melancholic mood. That's it.

42 minutes ago, Thor said:

As for being 'moving' or not, that's entirely subjective. 

Maybe you misunderstood, Thor. I repeat: It's not a composer that moves me. By 'me', I mean 'me', and not anyone else. I have heard enough music of Zimmer (including Time) to know it's not a composer that pushes the right buttons with 'me'. That's why I prefer Sakamoto for BR 2. Also, I don't want this to be the thousandth Zimmer assignment. Another composer that I like is Alex Desplat but he too is writing scores as if he is standing at a conveyor belt. Plus he doesn't seem right for the project. It's like asking for John Williams to write the score for BR.

Alex

Oh, I kinda like it, but it's not really my thing. You can add it to any recent film and it will be a perfect match. Composers like Vangelis and Sakamoto are more lyrical. That's how I went from Vangelis to voting for Sakamoto, BTW. 

There are other, more interesting a angelus-like bits in Inception. Time is basically Zimmer regurgitating his staple "moving adagio" from The Thin Red Line and Thr Da Vinci Code.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Maybe you misunderstood, Thor. I repeat: It's not a composer that moves me. By 'me', I mean 'me', and not anyone else. I have heard enough music of Zimmer (including Time) to know it's not a composer that pushes the right buttons with 'me'. That's why I prefer Sakamoto for BR 2. Also, I don't want this to be the thousandth Zimmer assignment. Another composer that I like is Alex Desplat but he too is writing scores as if he is standing at a conveyor belt. Plus he doesn't seem right for the project. It's like asking for John Williams to write the score for BR.

Alex

Fair enough.

As you know, Zimmer is one of my alltime favourite composers, so I'm always interested in potentially inspiring projects for him (which this is, I think). That being said, I understand the reluctance to have him involved in everything. So my first prioritiy would be some of the electronica artists I mentioned earlier.

1 hour ago, KK said:

"Time" is the weakest cue in Inception (which is otherwise a very fine score)!

It's the BEST cue on the whole soundtrack -- by FAR!

Both on album and as a score, it's a fantastic coda to have that music appear in fully developed form, and in warmly cathartic style, when you've heard it hinted at several times earlier in much more melancholic and fleeting shadings. Even just from that structural/dramatic standpoint, it's awesome.

Taken on its own, if you've never heard a note of the rest of the score and so can't appreciate the thematic significance of it, I can't imagine it still not being appealing, but I can start to understand that it sounds like your typical "epic emotional" music (Ottman's awful aping of it in the latest X-Men score doesn't help that image). But the construction, the intervals used, the harmonies, are so far beyond the usual amateurish stuff you get in that style.

And the score isn't really all that loud, is it? There's a fair amount of action, but it's quite tastefully arranged and produced - far from the wall-of-sound that many write it off as, especially when you compare it to certain other recent really LOUD scores! There's a ton of atmosphere and moody, pseudo-noir too.

As for best tracks/cues... I really like Mr. Charles.

3 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Both on album and as a score, it's a fantastic coda to have that music appear in fully developed form, and in warmly cathartic style, when you've heard it hinted at several times earlier in much more melancholic and fleeting shadings. Even just from that structural/dramatic standpoint, it's awesome.

Taken on its own, if you've never heard a note of the rest of the score and so can't appreciate the thematic significance of it, I can't imagine it still not being appealing, but I can start to understand that it sounds like your typical "epic emotional" music (Ottman's awful aping of it in the latest X-Men score doesn't help that image). But the construction, the intervals used, the harmonies, are so far beyond the usual amateurish stuff you get in that style.

And the score isn't really all that loud, is it? There's a fair amount of action, but it's quite tastefully arranged and produced - far from the wall-of-sound that many write it off as, especially when you compare it to certain other recent really LOUD scores! There's a ton of atmosphere and moody, pseudo-noir too.

As for best tracks/cues... I really like Mr. Charles.

What, exactly, are you talking about here?

He's talking about "Time", and probably in reference to my "dismissal" of it.

I do agree with you Grey, that it works as a satisfying conclusion to the album. But as a composition on its own, it just does very little for me, and doesn't compare to the sophistication of what precedes it. The theme works better in the noir-esque, minimalist form it appears in occasionally throughout the film. But I never felt it was something more suited for that scale. Granted its not all bad, but I'm more moved by the superior renderings of the same concept he's done in the past. 

12 hours ago, KK said:

He's talking about "Time", and probably in reference to my "dismissal" of it.

I do agree with you Grey, that it works as a satisfying conclusion to the album. But as a composition on its own, it just does very little for me, and doesn't compare to the sophistication of what precedes it. The theme works better in the noir-esque, minimalist form it appears in occasionally throughout the film. But I never felt it was something more suited for that scale. Granted its not all bad, but I'm more moved by the superior renderings of the same concept he's done in the past. 

In addition to the gorgeous "Time" (which IMO is perfectly placed on the album, in addition to being a wonderful piece in itself), I would also like to give a shoutout to "Old Souls" -- perhaps an even MORE Vangelis-inspired track, and just drop dead gorgeous. I can almost see BLADE RUNNER right there.

Yeah, that's a great one. Though I hold "Waiting for a Train" as the go-to cue in the score for that Vangelis-like sound. Lovely textures in that one.

"Paradox" is my preferred setting of the "Time" theme.

Warner Bros moves Blade Runner 2 up from January 2018 to October 6, 2017.

Fox has a Marvel comic movie scheduled for that date already (Gambit? Deadpool 2?), and so does Warner Brothers... unless they were saving that date for Blade Runner 2, of course.

On 16-4-2016 at 3:23 AM, Koray Savas said:

The fact that you always mistakenly use "then" instead of "than" drives my OCD insane.

I bet it's no longer a mistake by now.