Hlao-roo

By the way, anyone else excited about Villeneuve's new sci fi film ARRIVAL, which will premiere in Venice later this year? Seems like a perfect warmup to the new BLADE RUNNER movie.

Prisoners was so, so good but then Enemy was so, so bad, I'm cautiously optimistic about Arrival.

Oh, Sicario was in between too. I liked that one, but it wasn't very memorable, unlike Prisoners which I still think about.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Prisoners was so, so good but then Enemy was so, so bad, I'm cautiously optimistic about Arrival.

Oh, Sicario was in between too. I liked that one, but it wasn't very memorable, unlike Prisoners which I still think about.

I thought all of those films were absolutely brilliant, but my favourite is probably PRISONERS still.

If you're going to see one Villeneuve movie, let it be Prisoners. When I was watching, I thought I was witnessing the birth of the next great director.

37 minutes ago, Thor said:

I thought all of those films were absolutely brilliant

Of course you did

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's definitely Hugh Jackman's most impressive performance.  Gah that movie was so good.

More than acting performances, I think that the storytelling (the way in which the story was told - I truly was as tense as a piano string) and the ethical question at the heart of the story were the stars of the movie.

Alex

Sicario is a great film. Masterful exercise in tension and atmosphere. But Prisoners easily remains his most haunting work.

He's certainly one of the more promising names out there to look for.

Yes we have. And say what you will, but Villeneuve was successful in creating an experience worth having for me.

Can't really think of anyone else who I'd be more interested in with BH2, to be honest.

I don't think I'd really care much if this were in the hands of Scott. I'd be curious, sure, but not excited.

Scott will still be producer, as far as I know.

Villeneuve is IMO one of THE brightest director talents in recent years. ENNEMI is also seriously underrated, but fortunately enjoys a lot of positive buzz in the film critic circles I'm frequenting. I've told myself that I'm going to sit down at some point (soon) and watch all his pre-PRISONERS movies, including the shorts. Heard a lot of good stuff about INCENDIES, for example.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Richard said:

Alex, check-out the title-track to the OMD album "Junk Culture". You may find it familiar...

The first OMD album after the last good OMD album. They started sucking so quickly.

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Holy! Is he the new Deckard? I guess me (Jake Gyllenhaal) and BloodBoalers (Fassbender) were wrong.

No! He'll just play some android! There is still hope! i will keep on hoping! I will keep on believing!

My god, it's dead since a longtime for me.

With Villeneuve on board, you can expect a totally nonsense movie with little details that will enerve you as it is possible.

You never heard about Québécois canibalism?

I will never forgive him Enemy.

After seeing a movie like that, it gives me an urge to kill... to kill the director of the movie.

My time is precious, I don't like to waste it by seeing such fucked-up and bad movies.

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

But ... Enemy is artsy! What's wrong with doing a bit of artsy fartsy?

Well, good luck with BR2. I wish you a lot of artsy. :)

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The original Blade Runner's pretty fuckin' fartsy.

In a good way!

Well it became a cult movie. Because of... because of... the visual, the mood, Vangelis music, Harrison Ford, those big Coca-Cola adverts by Geishas, what else...

BR2 will only have one of those things : Harrison Ford.

Ha.