Hlao-roo

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Dude walking in fog to his lambo. That's sci-fi for you?

It's Jay's sarcasm again.

Is it shallow of me to really be thrown that Ford seems to just be wearing a Hanes t-shirt in both the poster and that clip?  After the evocative future-noir costume he had in the first, it feels really really wrong.

Maybe Villeneuve forgot about the costumes ...

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

So you do understand teasers for trailers!

I do now ...

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Is it shallow of me to really be thrown that Ford seems to just be wearing a Hanes t-shirt in both the poster and that clip?  After the evocative future-noir costume he had in the first, it feels really really wrong.

10 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Nah, you're not alone regarding this. It definitely looks too mundane.

I mean, you can think whatever you want to and read what you want into it after starting at a poster for so long. 

It looks ok I guess. I'm sure Roger Deakins will make it nice to look at at least. But this is a film I don't really want or need. With Star Wars and Marvel films I don't really mind them churning them out - they're popcorn entertainment and it's part of their nature to be derivative and repeating the formula. But this is something different.

Karol - hoping they don't make The Shining sequel with Jack Nicholson

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Well, they did make a sequel to Chinatown, which is kinda closer to Blade Runner.

As usual I haven't watched the trailer, but my default attitude towards this is still total scepticism. I just can't see how Blade Runner of all things can be built on in a way which feels worthwhile and invigorating for the original fiction. Been burned too many times by these things. 

The second half of the trailer does frame it in that kind of generic way (blaring synth beats and all). But I doubt the actual film will be like that, or at least hope it won't.

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

It looks ok I guess. I'm sure Roger Deakins will make it nice to look at at least. But this is a film I don't really want or need. With Star Wars and Marvel films I don't really mind them churning them out - they're popcorn entertainment and it's part of their nature to be derivative and repeating the formula. But this is something different.

Yeah but you hate everything these days so what's the point? You're the new Alex!

This looks positively amazing. Great combo of the old look and some spectacular new visual styles. With Scott, form is always content, and few of his films are more ripe with that than BLADE RUNNER. I'm happy that Villeneuve has extended and developped that under the master's tutelage.

October can't come fast enough.

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Yeah but you hate everything these days so what's the point? You're the new Alex!

For the record, I don't hate everything. Sure, lately I was disappointed in Villeneuve's Sicario, Disney's Star Wars and Netflix's Stranger Things, but I also encountered movies and TV series that I liked. I'm not crocs! 

Anyway, back on topic, notice how the voice of Gosling is kind of absent in the trailer ...

Alex

The problem with this sequel might be that it's a little bit too serious and tragic. Notice the extremely intense dramatic reaction of officer K (Gosling) at one point in the trailer, or the heaviness of (villains?) Jared Leto and Robin Wright. 

People don't always realize this but  there was something sad and lonely about all the original characters in Scott's movie, yet at the same time Roy Batty, Tyrell, Priss had something playful as well. Villeneuve's characters might be more one-dimensional.

Alex

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Does it look good? Is cinema saved?

Q1/ Yes.

Q2/ Not by a long chalk.

51 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The problem of the sequel might be that it's a little bit too serious and tragic. Notice the extremely intense dramatic reaction of officer K (Gosling) at one point in the trailer, or the heaviness of (villains?) Jared Leto and Robin Wright. 

People don't always realize this but  there was something sad and lonely about all the original characters in Scott's movie, yet at the same time Roy Batty, Tyrell, Priss had something playful as well. Villeneuve's characters might be more one-dimensional.

Alex

Agreed.

Any shot with that ejit from SPECTRE, is one shot too many.

Where's Gaff?

Is any part of this film based on the sequel novels (EDGE OF HUMAN ?)?

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Does it look good? Is cinema saved?

Is Blade Runner 2049 set to massively reduce the number of superhero movies being made? Doubtful.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Is any part of this film based on the sequel novels (EDGE OF HUMAN ?)?

No, Hampton Fancher wrote the story and Michael Green turned it into a screenplay.