Hlao-roo

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Maybe Johannsson didn't want to stick so religiously to the analog synth sound of Vangelis.  Guess we'll find out whenever we finally hear this darn score already.

I always said (before there was any talk of a composer) that, if they ask Vangelis to do the score, he needs to go back to the same real analogue instruments, because I hate the cheap digital workstation sounds and samples that he is using today. And yes, this would probably be a problem for Vangelis. I think the only analogue synth he still has is a dusty Yamaha CS-80 which he probably keeps in the cellar. OTOH, I'm pretty sure that Zimmer has his own personal synth museum so it's most likely not a problem for him.

163 minutes sure seems like a director's cut instead of a studio cut.

Without having seen the final product, just on the basis of artistic integrity, I'm glad Villeneuve was able to negotiate for his version to reach theaters. Maybe I'll eat my words after finally seeing it

On 9/9/2017 at 1:30 PM, publicist said:

He actually does work a lot w/o Zimmer, i. e. 'It', 'Annabelle', 'A Cure for Wellness'. Sadly after a promising beginning he turns out mostly typical Hollywood fare that sounds like what hundreds of others did before him. But judging from 'Peter Pan' and other stuff i heard, he knows how to use orchestral voicings and can orchestrate himself. 

I had never heard of him before today, I just saw someone post a track from the Peter Pan project he composed, and I was impressed by it.  Unfortunately that was 10 years ago, and it doesn't seem like he's worked on much where he could take advantage of that type of musical language.  Certainly seems capable.  Would love to see him join forces with a director who could exploit that skill more.

"The first BLADE RUNNER sent a shockwave in the world".

What the hell are you talking about, boy?! The first BLADE RUNNER sent a giant yawn in the world!

In 1982, BLADE RUNNER was destroyed by critics, and ignored by the public. There were a few critics who "got it", who realised its potential, but not many. People were too busy gushing over E.T. to give a damn about depressing fare like BR. It only started to make an impact, in the years following.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

"The first BLADE RUNNER sent a shockwave in the world".

What the hell are you talking about, boy?! The first BLADE RUNNER sent a giant yawn in the world!

In 1982, BLADE RUNNER was destroyed by critics, and ignored by the public. There were a few critics who "got it", who realised its potential, but not many. People were too busy gushing over E.T. to give a damn about depressing fare like BR. It only started to make an impact, in the years following.

Thanks to video!

Yes. I can't tell you the amount of times that I rented it on VHS.

It's interesting to pinpoint when it started to resonate with audiences, but I'm pretty sure that companies with product to advertise, saw money in the BLADE RUNNER look.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Well it certainly sent a shockwave through the world of "hard" sci-fi fans.

Indeed. People used to happy-go-lucky tales, such as STAR WARS were certainly surprised to find Harrison Ford starring in a rather dour, and paranoid story.

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

These reactions are definitely making me excited, as early as they could be. I can't wait for Villenueve to try to tackle Dune, now. 

I'm not going to let myself get too excited.  Gonna keep my expectations pretty low based on the atrocious trailers.  If it's good, then awesome!

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Yes. I can't tell you the amount of times that I rented it on VHS.

It's interesting to pinpoint when it started to resonate with audiences, but I'm pretty sure that companies with product to advertise, saw money in the BLADE RUNNER look.

Indeed. People used to happy-go-lucky tales, such as STAR WARS were certainly surprised to find Harrison Ford starring in a rather dour, and paranoid story.

Harrison Ford also didn't kick ass and turned out to be more the villain than anything else. For many people that was kinda confusing because they wanted clear-cut heroes. 

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm not going to let myself get too excited.  Gonna keep my expectations pretty low based on the atrocious trailers.  If it's good, then awesome!

Oh definitely, but trailers are never the be all to the end all. That awful photoshop poster probably did no favors though, I know I had some doubts after that was released, but I never completely thought it might be bad. I still had a "glimmer of hope" anyway, and hopefully that paid off.

10 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Harrison Ford also didn't kick ass and turned out to be more the villain than anything else. For many people that was kinda confusing because they wanted clear-cut heroes. 

Indeed. The film was far too complex and layered (dare I say, intelligent?) for multiplex audiences. No wonder they all went for that cute thing with the extendable neck, rather than BR, and that other Summer of '82 brilliant study in paranoia - THE THING.

19 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I can't wait for Villenueve to try to tackle Dune, now. 

Dear Fancy (or whatever your name might be) we already have a great version of DUNE. It was directed by David Lynch, and released in 1984. Now, quit your speaking!

20 minutes ago, Richard said:

Dear Fancy (or whatever your name might be) we already have a great version of DUNE. It was directed by David Lynch, and released in 1984. Now, quit your speaking!

It's a fascinating film, but it was a box office failure and I'm not sure I consider it good. I think another go-around with the source material is a good thing, and it is happening, so I will be not be silenced. 

About the first reactions:

I read somewhere that they carefully choose fanboy-oriented audiences for these first screenings so these first reviews don't really say anything.

It's like picking a jwfan to review a new John Williams cd.

What will he say? that it's bad? Of course not!

Anyway, we'll see.

The first film still leaves me cold story-wise, but it's a masterpiece visually-aurally.

7 hours ago, filmmusic said:

About the first reactions:

I read somewhere that they carefully choose fanboy-oriented audiences for these first screenings so these first reviews don't really say anything.

It's like picking a jwfan to review a new John Williams cd.

What will he say? that it's bad? Of course not!

It's nothing new, really.

Whenever first reactions for a movie come out, they're generally very positive ("It's a freaking masterpiece!") or very negative ("It's a freaking disaster!"). And usually, these first reactions are of course freaking exaggerated.

My thought exactly. Brundlefly beat me to it. In fact, the whole film community (not just fanboys) is awaiting a sequel to Blade Runner with great scepticism and they are ready to rip it apart, so these first reactions are surprising, unless they are Villeneuve fanboys, of course. 

Hopefully, Hans Zimmer didn't fuck it up. Another Interstellar would be great. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that Johann Johannson left the project.

Everything else indicates a masterpiece:

- Villeneuve

- Gosling, Ford, Leto

- 163 min running time

- R-rating

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

How does Villeneuve indicates a masterpiece?

How does Gosling, Ford and Leto indicate a masterpiece?

How does a lengthy running time indicates a masterpiece?

How does a R rating indicates a masterpiece?

Please explain.

Not OP but

- track record

- grest cast, except maybe Leto (or his reputation)

- the last two: little studio meddling.

8 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

-The cast is fine, sure, but as any of them been in a masterpiece recently? (Expecting Disco Stu to bring up LaLaLand for Gosling...)

And Blue Valentine.  And Drive.  And The Big Short.  And The Nice Guys.

I’m not saying these are masterpieces.  Just that he’s a talented and versatile actor.

Unlike Leto, who can do off-putting and intense and... not much else.  That’s why he might be good as the “villain” here if Villeneuve can reign in his excesses!

Leto is like Cyclops.  He needs a good director to be the eye band that directs and controls his energy.

24 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

- Villeneuve movies are great and he is clearly a talented and promising director

- The cast is fine, sure, but as any of them been in a masterpiece recently? (Expecting Disco Stu to bring up LaLaLand for Gosling...which is a very fine film, but not necessarily a "masterpiece")

- The last two: maybe (and even then, that doesn't necessarily means "little studio meddling"), but that doesn't guarantee a masterpiece in any way. The Hobbit movies were around 160 minutes long too. Plenty of other examples of long movies that are not in any way masterpieces...

I agree with this.

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

And Blue Valentine.  And Drive.  And The Big Short.  And The Nice Guys.

I’m not saying these are masterpieces.  Just that he’s a talented and versatile actor.

Unlike Leto, who can do off-putting and intense and... not much else.  That’s why he might be good as the “villain” here if Villeneuve can reign in his excesses!

And this.

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

- Villeneuve movies are OK, but none anywhere near masterpiece status.

- The cast is fine, sure, but as any of them been in a masterpiece recently? (Expecting Disco Stu to bring up LaLaLand for Gosling...)

- The last two: maybe (and even then, that doesn't necessarily means "little studio meddling"), but that doesn't guarantee a masterpiece in any way. The Hobbit movies were around 160 minutes long too. Plenty of other examples of long movies that are not in any way masterpieces...

Villeneuve's movies are all either almost masterpieces or masterpieces. That is enough as a proof of quality. But there is more: Three awesome actors (I don't give a fuck whether they have mostly made bad or good movies, since they're working with Villeneuve this time),  a running time that indicates much passion (yes, I consider long running time as tending to indicate a passionated movie) and we have a rating which indicates that this movie has not forcedly been adapted to a main stream audience and younger viewers.