Hlao-roo

Screenwriter Scott Z. Burns clarifies his involvement with Ridley Scott’s new BLADE RUNNER Film

Scott Z. Burns: "I talked to Ridley about it at one point as a part of a larger conversation about us trying to find something to do together because I have such admiration for him. I’m as huge a fan of that movie as anybody else who would be reading this or watching it, so what I said to him was, 'Let’s not do that unless we have something amazing to do or to say.'

They all say that when they make a sequel/prequel/remake/reboot, but in the end, they have very little to say in said sequel/prequel/remake/reboot.

Yeah, it's always "we agreed not to do it until we could do it right", but 90% of the time that either goes out the window, or was PR bullshit to begin with.

To be honest, I would've said the same, so I think those feelings might be honest. Of course, Ridley Scott probably thought: You know, I'm making this movie, no matter what. So if you don't wanna do it, I'll find a writer who will.

(To my knowledge, it's Hampton Fancher who is attempting to write a sequel for Scott)

It all boils down to whether or not the screenwriter has the savy to get the dialogue and plot just right. Blade Runner is a very straightforward, even simple story, elegantly and economically scripted. The complexity lies in its narrative. The fear right now should be that - as the trend apparently demands - the new film gets Nolanised.

Just hours and hours of EXPLAINING.

• 2 months later...

AFI’s Night At The Movies Blade Runner The Final Cut Presented By Harrison Ford.

It’ll take place April 24 at the Arclight Hollywood in Los Angeles, CA

Tickets for all the screenings go on sale at 10 a.m. April 11 on the Arclight website: www.arclightcinemas.com.

Full line-up:

Kathy Bates presenting Misery

Cher presenting Moonstruck

Sally Field presenting Norma Rae

Peter Fonda presenting Easy Rider

Harrison Ford presenting Blade Runner: The Final Cut

Samuel L. Jackson presenting Pulp Fiction

Shirley MacLaine presenting Terms of Endearment

Demi Moore presenting Ghost

Mike Myers presenting Shrek

Sidney Poitier presenting In The Heat of the Night

Kurt Russell presenting The Thing

Kevin Spacey presenting The Usual Suspects

Those who live in L.A. are lucky bastards!

http://www.slashfilm.com/afis-night-at-the-movies-harrison-ford-presents-blade-runner-kevin-spacey-presents-usual-suspects-more/

Alex

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree. But I think the whole movie is a bad idea anyway.

Blade Runner belongs in a certain time and place in both Scott and Ford's careers.

It was a film where everything came together and it became better then the sum of it's parts.

It could have been an average production, but somehow it became something special. The new film won't have that, can't have that.

And nothing in Prometheus has led me to believe Ridley will be able to find the magic again.

I agree. But I think the whole movie is a bad idea anyway.

Blade Runner belongs in a certain time and place in both Scott and Ford's careers.

It was a film where everything came together and it became better then the sum of it's parts.

It could have been an average production, but somehow it became something special. The new film won't have that, can't have that.

And nothing in Prometheus has led me to believe Ridley will be able to find the magic again.

Exactly! Most that were involved were at the height of their creativity, especially Scott. The same applies to Vangelis and maybe Trumbull, although I'm sure he is still able to rock. Of course, Scott doesn't have Trumbull on his mind. He rather sticks to his usual FX crew. Syd Mead is still in business as well.

It's a sequel. Citizen Kane, 2001: ASO and Blade Runner have never been remaked. Citizen Kane doesn't even have a sequel. Heck, nor does BR at this point.

Alex

The closest thing that BR got to a sequel was a point and click computer game in 1997 that acted as a sidequel, but it wasn't actually full motion video but polygon rendering. It mentioned Deckard without showing him, but it did use the voice talents of Rachael, Kowalski, Chew, Tyrell, and Sebastian for cameos.

I know, I know, it doesn't count. It's like saying Rebel Assault II counts towards a Star Wars film just because it filmed original props before the prequels were released. But it's something.

• 6 months later...

Ford in his Reddit AMA:

I'm quite curious and excited about seeing a new script for Blade Runner if in fact the opportunity would exist to do another, if it's a good script I would be very anxious to work with Ridley Scott again, he's a very talented and passionate filmmaker. And I think it would be very interesting to revisit the character.

The closest thing that BR got to a sequel was a point and click computer game in 1997 that acted as a sidequel, but it wasn't actually full motion video but polygon rendering.

The backgrounds and cutscenes were prerendered, so that was full motion video ;) The characters and interactive objects were voxels, no polygons.

• 4 weeks later...

I know one thing, Ford will accept it. So we'll see Ford in the new Star Wars and Blade Runner. The circle is now complete.