Godzilla 2012

gkgyver

I recently discovered for myself that the movie I'm most looking forward to in the next two years is the reboot of Godzilla in 2012.

As disturbing as this notion may seem to many of you, I am hoping there are a few people here who share my love for every movie of this 55 year old, 30-something movie saga.

And yes, I love every one of them, even such unbearable trash like "Destroy All Monsters".

godzilla2012.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Destroy All Monsters is one of the last of the classic films.

Godzilla Finals Wars is the abomination of the series.

I've mentioned this film in a few threads since last summer when it became official and public.

I just hope they have some sense when it comes to the music and actually pick a good composer and not one the RC zombies.

I think you're the only Big G fan who thinks DAM is trash. Considering what that flick is to the Showa era and Kaiju as a whole, it's like saying 'I love Star Trek, even unbearable trash like Wrath of Khan'.

But yes, I hope and pray G2012 will not be another Emmerichesque pos.

Oh, I think I confused Destroy All Monsters with All Monsters Attack, the movie in which the kid becomes best friends with Minya.

Personally, I prefer the Heisei series.

Giacchino would be a good choice.

Nah, we need a more moderns low-key string ostinato-driven score with no themes augumented with synth. To delve deeper into the psychology of to explore the primal nature of its character. That's how it's done these days. Not some cheesy themes and fanfares.

...Suddenly, I realized that's probably exactly what we are gonna get...

Karol - who regards Godzilla as Arnold's best non-Bond score :)

Karol - who regards Godzilla as Arnold's best non-Bond score :)

Seriously? Independence Day's score is better than Godzilla. Godzilla is littered with reprises of similar passages from both Stargate and Independence Day.

Independence Day is by far the more superior score. I implore you to get La-La Land's version of Independence Day (especially if you have their Arnold Godzilla). You will most likely end up enjoying it.

Arnold's score is good!

How about John Williams?

Arnold's score IS good. For a US-popcorn-cheese movie.

But not for a serious reboot of the Toho character.

Nah, we need a more moderns low-key string ostinato-driven score with no themes augumented with synth. To delve deeper into the psychology of to explore the primal nature of its character. That's how it's done these days. Not some cheesy themes and fanfares.

...Suddenly, I realized that's probably exactly what we are gonna get...

Fingers crossed for Ramin Djawadi!

Oh, I think I confused Destroy All Monsters with All Monsters Attack, the movie in which the kid becomes best friends with Minya.

Personally, I prefer the Heisei series.

Giacchino would be a good choice.

I'm also a huge Heisei series fan, but I don't think All Monsters Attack is a total loss. Revisiting it recently, and reading an excellent critical analysis by David Kilat, the film's an interesting glimpse of the lower Japanese working class at the time and what a young child brought up in those economic conditions would have to do to survive. In his case, it was Godzilla and Minya in his imagination that allowed him to deal with his real-world problems that he might not have been able to otherwise by becoming a self-reliant individual in a dangerous world. Shinichi Sekizawa's script holds a bit more juice than what its reputation credits it for.

Watching the films in their original Japanese presentation gives one a better appreciation for them.

If I'm not mistaken I think part of the problems with All Monsters Attack was Eiji Tsuburaya's illness and death. The film uses too much stock footage.

I'd welcome another Godzilla movie where Godzilla is a dinosaur and not an iguana.

Having seen the director's previous film Monsters, this could be in good hands. That film was 100% character oriented, despite containing hollywood standard effects that he did in his bedroom.

... as long as he doesn't hire the same guy to score it. That's a bad idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I find Ifukube's later incantations of the Godzilla March far cooler and more profound. Especially "Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah" is awesome, when he slows the march down, and combines it with The Wrath Of Godzilla theme.

But to me, most Godzilla films are so extremely enjoyable *because* they are not "good" films.

Yeeeahh, but with that mindset in Hollywood you end up with Emmerich's version.

I'm really looking forward to this film, though I haven't seen much of the original movies in a while.

• 9 months later...

So, any news on this project?

I didn't find major news, except that the film might possibly be delayed. I've seen the date 2014 attached to it somewhere.

Wikipedia says:

In July 2011, Legendary announced that writer David Goyer would write the script howeveron November 9, 2011, it was reported that Max Borenstein has been attached to write the film instead.