Main Title/Approaching the Death Star doesn't get enough love

BLUMENKOHL

As far as music that accompanies the opening scenes of Star Wars movies go, everyone basically will pick "Rebel Blockade Runner/Imperial Attack" as the best there is. And it may be.

But I'm not so sure. I always thought the music accompanying the opening scene of Return of the Jedi was better. It's a little more subtle, it builds and builds, it introduces the new big theme of the movie very gently. There is also a finality to it, the basses are more prominent, there is a tinge of sadness. By the time you're in the next scene on Tatooine the music has completely hit it home that this is the last chapter of the saga. Of course, by the time the shuttle lands, Vader's theme has gained ground, and yet it is a deserved blast of the theme. John Williams has given us such musical "foreplay" teasing us with the music as it all builds to the final "The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am!" that something that should come across as cheesy is well-earned.

Of course "Imperial Attack" has one of the coolest moments in film music, as the escape pod...err escapes. But Jedi also has something up its sleeve, I would offer the music that accompanies the commander walking towards the shuttle as one of the most compelling passages of underscore Williams has written. You almost want to *gulp* for the commander, there is a hell of lot of tension and nervousness there, with a dash of sinister.

I'm recalling this mainly from the music, not having watched the Star Wars movies in years, which I think brings me to the next point about this track: it manages to tell a memorable story out of a scene that would otherwise be considered a simple daily procedure for the Empire. Also, you just don't get musical story telling like that these days. With this track, you can hear Vader's Shuttle angling down towards the Hangar bay. Wonderful stuff!

Discuss! Disagree!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Musically it continues Vader's ominous / evil presence from Empire and gives the Emperor's pending arrival a sense of dread. There is a sense of mystery as you don't know who is on the shuttle when you first see it, part of it lies in the music and the images on screen as we do not see Vader's command ship, just the standard Star Destroyer.

His Jedi score is almost criminally underrated and this cue is an absolutely brilliant showcase of Williams' absolute understanding of the tone and intention of these movies. The Imperial statement is probably the best in the entire trilogy and I completely agree with Blum's assessment of the swelling strings underscore as the commander nervously approaches the shuttle - it is Williams at his peak , in the zone.

Definitely a great opening. But all three original films have excellent opening cues. (Even the prequels generally do, too, though it's certainly more in line with Williams' stylistic preferences of the 2000s.) ANH is unrivaled in its sheer enthusiasm and excitement, but ESB brought a more eerie vibe, with all the fantastic music for Hoth, and then ROTJ is great for the reasons described above.

Also, you just don't get musical story telling like that these days

Amen to that. The main reason why I can't get into modern scores as much anymore.

And yes, the opening of Jedi is just one musical orgasm for the ears.

It was always my favorite intro music; I love how mysterious and serious it is. Jedi in general is a very enjoyable score; it was the only one I absolutely had to buy in the Special Edition version... for the other two classic scores the Anthology was quite satisfying (I bought the SEs for these much later).

Although ESB is my favorite overall, the immediate music after the opening scroll is better in Jedi, IMO. I like some of the unused Hoth stuff almost as much. I would rate the opening of ANH third in this category. I kind of like the opening of RoTS better than AotC or TPM, though.

This is the first Star Wars music I ever heard. My favorite part is still when the commander approaches the shuttle and Vader exits.

I like this version of the main title as well. The brass sounds excellent.

I like ESB's the best (original version, although the eerie rescore is cool too). ROTJ is great, and the arrangement is wonderful, but it does slightly feel like it's going through the motions. And as statements of TIM go, I prefer 'The Emperor Arrives'.

He's referring to the film version. Williams originally wrote a LOT more score for...well, the whole film, but especially the opening on Hoth. The SE releases include the original version first, then later include the alternate material that was used in the film, as well.

Absolutely agreed. Just one of the many reasons why ROTJ is my favourite Star Wars score. It's probably the most mature, haunting and nuanced one of the lost. There's a sense of wariness and longing to it that really hits my heart strings. Some might call that 'going through the motions' but I think it adds a powerful new dimension to the film. It's Star Wars grown up (though ESB came close).

On another note, is that a development of the "commander's nervous walk towards the Vader's shuttle" around 1:39 in the Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor track?

They sound similar. Some sort of "nervousness" motif perhaps? Or my imagination running wild at 2:30 AM?

Every time I listen to that opening track, I swear I can hear the shuttle as it drops from the star destroyer, even though my brain knows it isn't really there. Much like how I can always hear Chewie when I listen to the Throne Room track. Shows what a nerd I am.

Shows what a nerd I am.

Nah not really. A lot of times when I listen to film scores, especially ones I really like such as the Star Wars ones I always visualize in my head the scenes that the music is playing for.

On another note, is that a development of the "commander's nervous walk towards the Vader's shuttle" around 1:39 in the Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor track?

They sound similar. Some sort of "nervousness" motif perhaps? Or my imagination running wild at 2:30 AM?

It may only be a coincidence or just a case of Williams' style but "Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor" has a similar feel to it. Not as dramatic a statement but somewhat similar.

It may only be a coincidence or just a case of Williams' style but "Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor" has a similar feel to it. Not as dramatic a statement but somewhat similar.

That's always been one of my absolute favorite tracks from ROTJ, even in its Anthology "Faking the Code" version which lacks the solo low brass lament somewhere in the middle.

Are you talking about the missing brass from the Tie Fighter fly by of the throne room tower?

Yeah I was actually disappointed that was missing from the Anthology, believe it or not.

Are you talking about the missing brass from the Tie Fighter fly by of the throne room tower?

Sure. I never bothered to watch the movie that closely to what is happening while those notes are onscreen.

I like having the different versions of the scores presented by the Anthology and the SE.

That's always been one of my absolute favorite tracks from ROTJ, even in its Anthology "Faking the Code" version which lacks the solo low brass lament somewhere in the middle.

+1

The opening as the shuttle leaves the ship and goes into hyperspace is amazing. It's one of the best cues of the score.

Absolutely agreed. Just one of the many reasons why ROTJ is my favourite Star Wars score. It's probably the most mature, haunting and nuanced one of the lost. There's a sense of wariness and longing to it that really hits my heart strings. Some might call that 'going through the motions' but I think it adds a powerful new dimension to the film. It's Star Wars grown up (though ESB came close).

are you referring to the empty sound? the real echoey sound that is in "The Levitation"?

are you referring to the empty sound? the real echoey sound that is in "The Levitation"?

I'm sorry, but I've got no idea what you're on about.

To qoute Percy, himself, "Main Title/Approaching The Death Star" gets "all my love", because it has always been my favourite of the three "main titles". The visuals that it supports are ashtonishing in their simplicity - the Imperial cruiser rumbling overhead; the shuttle Tydirium emerging from the docking bay flanked by two T.I.E. fighters and flying off to camera left. If you listen hard, on a good 5.1 system you can hear the T.I.E. fighters' engines behind you in the shuttle cockpit. Nice.

I agree with what's been said so far. I've dissected the opening music to Return of the Jedi, and I believe its unique sound details Luke's solo mission to bring down the Sith. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that only one trumpet playing most of Luke's theme? A solo trumpet, for the lone Jedi, the one person who can take down the Emperor.

The opening of The Empire Strikes Back is very militaristic, more like a march than the original Star Wars theme, which is just a full-on orchestral orgasm of the highest magnitude. I wonder if John Williams and his orchestrating team had these ideas in mind when figuring out how to present the opening titles in the original three films.

As for using the Imperial March before the Imperial officer says "Inform the commander that Lord Vader's shuttle has arrived," it cheats us out of the surprise of who is arriving, and that line has very little significance. Yes, it could be argued that it is "The Imperial March," but it really only applies to Vader. It's the only quibble I have with the opening. It could have delayed the suspense a little bit longer. It's awesome to see a reprise of a Star Destroyer flying over the screen.

And the music playing as the commander walks to the shuttle is truly bone-chilling. I always get goosebumps.

I always thought the music accompanying the opening scene of Return of the Jedi was better. It's a little more subtle, it builds and builds, it introduces the new big theme of the movie very gently.

What is that "new big theme of the movie?" There are only three new themes in Jedi (Emperor, Ewoks, Luke & Leia), and I don't hear them in the beginning of the film.

It's an awesome cue. I love the Gerhardt recording.

Of all six scores, ROTJ is the one I listen to the least. For some reason.

The highlights, and there are lot of them, are brilliant, but the Endor stuff tends to drag a bit. That makes the score as a whole a slightly uneven experience for me, so I play not not as often as I should.

It's an awesome cue. I love the Gerhardt recording.

Of all six scores, ROTJ is the one I listen to the least. For some reason.

The highlights, and there are lot of them, are brilliant, but the Endor stuff tends to drag a bit. That makes the score as a whole a slightly uneven experience for me, so I play not not as often as I should.

Agreed. There is a lot to recommend this score, but it is less effective then either "Star Wars" (I'll have no truck with all this "A New Hope" bollocks!), or "The Empire Strikes Back", due in no small part to it sounding like it was recorded over the 'phone from a toilet in downtown Los Angeles.

For me, the best parts are the quieter passages such as "Brother/Sister, Father/Son" (the brass heard over the shot as the camera pans down from the Death Star to the shutle, and then further down to the landing platform is spine-tingling); the electronic tones heard as Luke enters Jabba's palace; "Faking The Code" (marvellous!); the errie strings heard as Luke's and Vader's lightsabres clash; the final part of the piece that ends with the establishing pan shot of the rebel hanger; the piece that begins right after C-3PO says "here we go again". These are just some of my favourite pieces, I'm sure that you all have yours.

P.s, does anyone really prefer "Jedi Rocks" to what was originally written? I mean; really?

I always thought the music accompanying the opening scene of Return of the Jedi was better. It's a little more subtle, it builds and builds, it introduces the new big theme of the movie very gently.

What is that "new big theme of the movie?" There are only three new themes in Jedi (Emperor, Ewoks, Luke & Leia), and I don't hear them in the beginning of the film.

Don't forget Jabba's Theme

Indeed ROTJ have a great score... among the amazing musical moments I love The Dark Side Beckons, Shuttle Tydirium, Alliance Assembly and many more.

does anyone really prefer "Jedi Rocks" to what was originally written? I mean; really?

I like the bass, its better withought the vocals

Lovely, barely heard bridge on that one.

I would also consider the Forest Battle and the Rebel fleet (the one with that sense of imminent danger - I'm not sure what it's called) to be "themes." There are also a few other melodies in various tracks that I think are substantial enough to be more than just motifs (Rancor pit, Sail Barge Assault, victory celebration/Ewok celebration). Of course, if you're just talking about the "flagship" type of themes, then I agree with the three or four already mentioned.