A discussion on Philip Glass...

Kevin

The typical Philip Glass jokes aside, I'm a big fan of his film work. His distinctive style of repeating passages/phrases never gets repetitive enough for me.

I like (not in descending order of preference):

-The Illusionist (probably his best work)

-The Hours (should have won the Oscar instead of Goldenthal's Frida)

-Cassandra's Dream

-Mishma: A Life in Four Chapters

-Koyaanisqatsi

-Powaqqatsi

-Naqoyqatsi

I only have two of his albums: The Illusionist and a free sampler from Amazon (which I can't recommend more, as it is free). I love most of his music. It is repetitive, but I can take his style in moderate doses. My favorite things he's written include "The Orange Tree," "Etude No 2," and "The Grid."

His film work pales in comparison to his concert work (although having said that Mishima is one of my favourite film scores of all time). Itaipu and Symphonies Nos. 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8 are all rather good.

You can't call yourself a Philip Glass fan until you've endured a live performance of Music in Twelve Parts. ;)

His film work pales in comparison to his concert work (although having said that Mishima is one of my favourite film scores of all time). Itaipu and Symphonies Nos. 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8 are all rather good.

You can't call yourself a Philip Glass fan until you've endured a live performance of Music in Twelve Parts. ;)

You can't call yourself a Philip Glass fan until you've endured a live performance of Einstein on the Beach. :lol:

You can't call yourself a Philip Glass fan until you've endured a live performance of Einstein on the Beach. :lol:

I haven't had the opportunity to do that as yet (although I do have the full conductor's score here) - but next year: http://www.barbican.org.uk/theatre/event-detail.asp?ID=11928

Many great moments in his music but in the end it's not that great music for me.

Illusionist is the only film score that works and concert music has its moments but definitely

minimalism isn't very strong brand in the music history.

'Minimalism' is a meaningless and irrelevant term.

Philip Glass is good at making arpeggios but when I listened to his violin concerto (way more traditional in style) I felt that he is not as musically well-read or talented as his colleagues (past or present).

Alex

While slightly familiar with him I don't have any of his works. I suppose if I had the time I might want to revisit his career, which is quite diverse and much larger that I originally realized.

Unfortunately I mostly have the image of his music that was used on South Park.

Anyone who wishes to challenge the idea that Philip has not been well-trained should look up his history.

For anyone who knows of her, you do NOT study with Nadia Boulanger if you were an idiot. If you did, you didn't last long.

Check out the documentary Philip Glass in 12 Parts.

I claim myself to be a Philip Glass fan. He has a very clear and unique voice. You may hate it or love it. I initially did not like Philip Glass and avoided him. But, I forced myself to listen to many works from different times in his career.

Don't be afraid to challenge yourself! I'm not saying that any here does not do that on a regular basis. But, moving beyond an initial gut reaction can lead to interesting avenues of thought.

Of course, this is just an opinion. Enjoy what you will! :)

Philip Glass is good at making arpeggios but when I listened to his violin concerto (way more traditional in style) I felt that he is not as musically well-read or talented as his colleagues (past or present).

That was one of his first pieces for full orchestra (from 1987). His ability to write for that size of ensemble has developed considerably since then.

Check out the documentary Philip Glass in 12 Parts.

You know, that documentary could have been a lot better than it actually was. A bit shorter than the two hours (half of those 12 parts were entertaining). You get to see his marriage problems.

It's interesting that you prefer Naqoyqatsi's score over the first two films. I don't agree with you, but it's sort of refreshing to hear.

I enjoy Koyaanisqatsi the most out of the three films and scores. During an empty day, I've shut the lights off and listened to the music. It has a very meditative quality to me. Nothing sinister going on... just enjoying the music!

Kudos to you for your differing opinion! wink.gif

Alex

How can you be good at "making arpeggios"? They're not really made, they just exist. That's like saying he's good at "making a B flat scale."

If there is one album of Glass that I still enjoy that would be Naqoyqatsi. It is a more human version of the other two. Mostly thanks to Yo-Yo Ma.

Karol

His Cello Concerto No.2 will be based on the music of Naqoyqatsi.

I enjoy Koyaanisqatsi the most out of the three films and scores. During an empty day, I've shut the lights off and listened to the music. It has a very meditative quality to me. Nothing sinister going on... just enjoying the music!

Agreed 100%. Some years ago (2003) I was lucky enough to see Philip Glass and his cohorts perform the music for Koyaanisqatsi live to picture. I was sat in the middle of the very back row and must admit to having had a 'liquid lunch' beforehand; to this day I am still not sure if my half cut state added to or detracted from my enjoyment, but it was certainly a memorable experience.

:unsure:

Glass is awesome. Not always, but often.

'Minimalism' is a meaningless and irrelevant term.

Blame Nyman. ;)

If there is one album of Glass that I still enjoy that would be Naqoyqatsi. It is a more human version of the other two. Mostly thanks to Yo-Yo Ma.

I couldn't put it above the amazing Koyaanisqatsi (special favourite: Pruit Igoe), but I adore Naqoygatsi. It manages to have a very mathematical and a very human quality at the same time. Powaqqatsi feels more uneven to me, I love the Anthem bits, but the rest doesn't stand out too much.

Special Glass recommendation: Tirol Concerto for piano and orchestra. The gorgeous middle movement has a strong similarity to Truman Sleeps.

Special Glass recommendation: Tirol Concerto for piano and orchestra. The gorgeous middle movement has a strong similarity to Truman Sleeps.

YES! Many thumbs up!

I also recommend Piano Concerto No.2 - After Lewis and Clark, which is certainly a digital workout for any pianist.

Is there any love for Glass operas here?

• 9 years later...
14 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

All the Glass music I'vee heard is the most boring crap I've heard in my entire life.

Then you've only heard his boring works. Check out his score to Mishima, for starters.

On 2/24/2011 at 10:50 PM, Jim Ware said:

YES! Many thumbs up!

I also recommend Piano Concerto No.2 - After Lewis and Clark, which is certainly a digital workout for any pianist.

Is there any love for Glass operas here?

I adore Akhnaten. Also, Kundun is easily my favorite score of his and one of my all time favorite scores

Holy Bump, Thor!  The thing is, his music has changed a lot.  Nowadays it's much more classical and sorry to say, boring.  Let's be real, pretty much all his originak work in the 2010's isn't that great, perhaps even before since The Hours or Symphony No.8.  He got... old.

But since the Hours, there has been almost 50 albums released of previous material, it's never ending! You can have very interesting orchestration, like Harp variations of piano music or choral orchestration, etc..).  Orange Mountain Music is an awesome label.  It's impossible to say PG aways does the same thing when there is stuff like :

• Glassworks
  • Einstein on the Beach
  • Akhnaten
  • Koyaanisqatsi
  • Mishima
  • Kundun
  • Satyagraha
  • Songs from Liquid Days
  • Dancepieces & Dance No.1-10
  • Powaqqatsi
  • Solo Piano
  • Itaipu / The Canyon
  • the CIVIL warS
  • At least half of his symphonies (ex: No.5)
  • The Hours (both score and piano version)
  • Etudes for Piano No.1-10
  • The Voyage
  • The Concerto Project Series
  • The Recording Archives

7 hours ago, Romão said:

I adore Akhnaten. Also, Kundun is easily my favorite score of his and one of my all time favorite scores

Akhnaten is when he got closest to nailing the opera medium and maximized its potential for storytelling, though the other two clearly have their moments. But it was never really his forte, to be honest. Kundun is brilliant.