The J.R.R Tolkien Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

You should call them and offer them to do it.

You know what else would be nice? For you to finish your goddamn Chamber Of Secrets review.

Ooh the burn! The burn!

• 1 month later...

Completed buying the History of Middle-earth series last week (sans Index) as well as Tree and Leaf. 

Haven't bought a new copy of The Hobbit in over 3 months. 

I consider this progress! 

2 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Completed buying the History of Middle-earth series last week (sans Index) as well as Tree and Leaf. 

Haven't bought a new copy of The Hobbit in over 3 months. 

I consider this progress! 

Are you an Irish speaker?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobad-Anonn-agus-Hobbit-Irish/dp/1904808905

On 3/27/2016 at 5:03 PM, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Completed buying the History of Middle-earth series last week (sans Index)

"Sauron Defeated" or "End of the Third Age"?

Why would he buy End of the Third Age?

The End of the Third Age is comprised of the first section of the hardcover volume published as Sauron Defeated, the ninth volume of The History of Middle-earth.

Inky is correct. I bought Sauron defeated.

Got the absolutely gorgeous Maps of Tolkien's Middle-earth today. Written by Sibley with beautiful illustrations by Howe.

Also picked up the 50th Anniversary edition of Farmer Giles of Ham.

33 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Inky is correct. I bought Sauron defeated.

Got the absolutely gorgeous Maps of Tolkien's Middle-earth today. Written by Sibley with beautiful illustrations by Howe.

Also picked up the 50th Anniversary edition of Farmer Giles of Ham.

I remember collecting all of those maps separately years ago (they were folded to the size of small paperbacks and came with accompanying small booklets) before a friend bought me the complete map set for Christmas. Beautiful maps and illustrations indeed.

Just filling gaps in the collection while I can. Think I need to pick up Tales from a Perilous Realm next. 

Might look for Monsters and the Critics and Sir Gawain while I'm in the UK. 

Secret Vice is out next week. Think that'll be all the major bases covered. Now just need to find time to read everything! 

21 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Secret Vice is out next week. Think that'll be all the major bases covered. Now just need to find time to read everything! 

Ah they managed to find yet another piece of Tolkien miscellanea to release. Count me in! Just take my money already!

And tell me about it. I have to find time to read all of these things. More often than not I want to familiarize myself with the subjects of Tolkien's published lectures so I have been reading Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl and Sir Orfeo and Beowulf lately before delving into Beowulf, Monsters and Critics and other various lectures and essays on these texts.

I think Secret Vice is in Monsters but this is published with unpublished notes and commentary and stuff. Who cares, I'll buy it anyway. 

Yeah I forgot that the essay is in the Monsters and Critics (among others things) but I too am interested in the notes and commentary, which seem to be very substantial (like with The Story of Kullervo).

• 3 weeks later...

While in Edinburgh recently I picked up some new stuff. Got the hardcover of A Secret Vice and also paperback copies of Finn and Hengest and the Father Christmas Letters.

Cooler than that though was my second hand finds. Found a first edition hardcover of Humprhey Carpenter's biography of Tolkien in spectacular condition for £12 and a first edition hardcover (also in excellent condition) of The Complete Guide to Middle-earth by Robert Foster for £10. 

Thanks!

They had some other things too but I was limited by what I could carry in my suitcase. There was a 1st Printing Second Impression of the Book of Lost Tales for £14 which would have been very tempting had the dust jacket been in better condition.

My friends all found really cool stuff that they are into too for good prices. Great shop, much better than the second hand bookshops in Dublin! 

I doubt our second hand booksellers would harbor such treasures on their shelves at reasonable prices but it is always fun to explore none the less. :) 

Which reminds me, I ought to order Secret Vice ASAP!

• 3 months later...

I have you know I am a young fellow compared to the LotR!

On 29 juli 2016 at 8:59 AM, Incanus said:

I have you know I am a young fellow compared to the LotR!

But I had forgotten Ojala, if indeed this is still the same that walked the woods and hills long ago, and even then was older than the old. That was not then his name. Oudste en Vaderloos we called him, oldest and fatherless. But many another name he has since been given by other folk: Inky by the Dwarves, Mikko by Northern Men, and other names beside. He is a strange creature...

• 1 month later...

The Facsimile First Edition of The Hobbit has been released. 

Got it at lunch today. Very nice. Comes in a slip case, has A&U as the publishers, green stained across the top, teal green underneath the dust jacket.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like they found another small part of Tolkien's old works that has remained unpublished until now, The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun and it will be released on the 3rd of November. The text is once again edited by Verlyn Flieger.

51EJhElCtQL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Amazon UK link

Amazon link

As nice it is to get another work from the author (with Alan Lee illustrations no less) this is starting to feel like milking Tolkien's legacy beyond the last drop by finding ways to re-release the already existing texts in a slightly different form and calling it an illuminating new find.

And is it 10 years already since the release of The Children of Húrin? My the time flies!

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

As nice it is to get another work from the author (with Alan Lee illustrations no less) this is starting to feel like milking Tolkien's legacy beyond the last drop by finding ways to re-release the already existing texts in a slightly different form and calling it an illuminating new find.

Normally I'd agree with you, and I was actually about to post a similar comment about the Tolkien industry pumping out another product.

But when I think about it, I really don't believe the Tolkien estate has abused the fans the way, for example, the studios do with multiple DVD/BD releases of the same films.  They're offering something new with these releases in terms of editorial content and artwork, and frankly they know the market for these books is pretty much limited to Tolkien fanatics and scholars. They don't "need" to put out these books, and I think most Tolkien lovers are happy to get them.  In fact, contrasted with the marketing tie-in's for the films, I think these new volumes are being handled tastefully and actually with some restraint.

1 minute ago, Glóin the Dark said:

*burp*

Glóin the Dark, I might have known you'd be the one to survive that mountain of food.

14 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Normally I'd agree with you, and I was actually about to post a similar comment about the Tolkien industry pumping out another product.

But when I think about, I really don't think the Tolkien estate has abused the fans the way, for example, the studios do with multiple DVD/BD releases of the same films.  They're offering something new with these releases in terms of editorial content and artwork, and frankly they know the market for these books is pretty much limited to Tolkien fanatics and scholars. They don't "need" to put out these books, and I think most Tolkien lovers are happy to get them.  In fact, contrasted with the marketing tie-in's for the films, I think these new volumes are being handled tastefully and actually with some restraint.

I think the publisher is more ready to exploit the movie tie-ins for Tolkien's books as these things bring publicity and raise the sales but the estate does most of the time produce worthy additions for the fans from Tolkien's archives.

I guess the target audience here is more those who might not otherwise peruse the History of Middle-earth series from cover to cover to find out about these various versions of Tolkien's tales and this is an opporturnity to present in condensed form all the relevant material on a single major part of the legendarium, just like with The Children of Húrin.

On 2/26/2011 at 4:41 PM, Stefancos said:

A few weeks ago I started reading The Lord Of The Rings again. It's been maybe 3 years since I have read any of Tolkiens work.
I'm once again complete engulfed in this world he has created.

Steef, just curious if you've re-read LOTR since your 2011 re-read when you started this thread?

Well Burger King did have those kids toys, along with that mail-away Uruk Hai figure (which was a great figure btw - fuck knows what ToyBiz were thinking making a good army-builder like that an exclusive).

59 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes i have. Twice I think.

I think I'm going to read it again this Christmas.  It's been a few years, and the last time as the unabridged audiobooks. So easy to get pulled into that world again once you start.  Tolkien is magic.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Abridged? I fear that wouldn't work for me.

Nor I. Which is why I said unabridged. ;) 

Though actually the BBC radio version w/Ian Holm as Frodo is quite good. The US Mind's Eye version is, however, unlistenable.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

I think I'm going to read it again this Christmas.  It's been a few years, and the last time as the unabridged audiobooks. So easy to get pulled into that world again once you start.  Tolkien is magic.

Bob Inglis?

25 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

The unabridged Children of Hurin audiobook read by Christopher Lee is really good.

I think even an old phonebook read by Christopher Lee is really good.