The J.R.R Tolkien Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Started my now annual re-read of The Hobbit. Bought the Annotated edition last year so I've gone with that this time. Fascinating read :)

• 2 weeks later...

What I've heard so far doesn't sound that impressive, generic even. Doesn't hold a candle to the imagination involved in The Silmarillion.

Yeah just making sure...because it sounds far from the kind of music I imagine you writing.

It's a big flashy website for some pretty run-of-the-mill stuff. But again, they're just brief glimpses. Nothing against it of course, just not what I'd personally picture for something like the Silmarillion.

TGP says he writes with pen and paper....

From what I remember, TGP isn't against just writing with DAW.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reading The Peoples of Middle-earth, two things that I thought were interesting in the portion dealing with "Durin's Folk":

#1 Thorin carried a Oaken shield after the battle of Nanduhirion

#2 Angmar was mentioned as being one of the areas Gandalf suspected of an attack occurring

Reading The Peoples of Middle-earth, two things that I thought were interesting in the portion dealing with "Durin's Folk":

#1 Thorin carried a Oaken shield after the battle of Nanduhirion

#2 Angmar was mentioned as being one of the areas Gandalf suspected of an attack occurring

Again not the final draft of Tolkien's writings that was published with the Lord of the Rings Appendices but that reference to Angmar is still an interesting one. Tolkien says that Gandalf thought "The presence of Smaug and the depression of the Men of the North makes an attack that way toward Angmar and against Rivendell likely." But Gandalf was most concerned with Lórien and Rivendell rather than Sauron focusing on the lands of Eriador yet. This seems more likely than a roundabout route to invade Rivendell through Angmar considering Dol Guldur resided hundreds of miles to the south of Angmar. Gandalf's most pressing concern with the quest was A) to establish a dwarven kingdom (to resist the Shadow) and to hopefully destroy Smaug so Sauron could not use him as a weapon, which Gandalf speculates upon in the situation if Erebor had not been re-established or people of Dale had not been there to meet Sauron's armies when he assaulted Rhovanion. "Dragon-fire and savage swords in Eriador, night in Rivendell."

Tolkien seems to have at some point even decided that Mount Gundabad was a dwarven stronghold in the past but overtaken by Orcs. This did not end in the final draft of his appendices histories.

Recently joined the Tolkien Society. Anybody else on here a member?

I used to be. Joined it when I was ten. After a few years I decided that I'd rather spend the membership fee on videos.

What do you get as a member these days?

1 copy of Mallorn a year and 6 copies of Amon Hen. Got Mallorn and Amon Hen yesterday along with a couple of post cards and book marks. Mallorn looks good but I've not had a chance to read through it yet. Said I'd join for the year and see what it's like.

You get a key ring in the shape of the One Ring.

I'd feel compelled to hum The Seduction of the Ring every time I locked the front door.

1 copy of Mallorn a year and 6 copies of Amon Hen.

Yeah, those were the two publications way back when I was a member. I still have a pile of them stored away somewhere. I think the Mallorns were more frequent then - maybe two or three a year.

You get a key ring in the shape of the One Ring.

I'd feel compelled to hum The Seduction of the Ring every time I locked the front door.

1 copy of Mallorn a year and 6 copies of Amon Hen.

Yeah, those were the two publications way back when I was a member. I still have a pile of them stored away somewhere. I think the Mallorns were more frequent then - maybe two or three a year.

Yeah, looking through the digital archive (which you get as part of the membership) it seems Mallorn used to be more frequent. The digital archives go back as far as 2009 so there's a bit of reading for me there as well.