What's the size of your...

Kevin

Score collection right now? ;)

At last count recently, I have just under 500 scores. I'm happy enough with that number and I am determined to not let my collection get big for the sake of being big. There are people out there who have to buy everything that comes out and never have time to listen to the stuff they bought. I could never imagine not listening to a score that I like for five years just because my collection is huge and my time is being eaten up by other scores. Getting rid of scores that are marginal in enjoyment/memorability is always the key to keeping your collection small. It also helps that I have not bought too many scores so far this year (I've only bought 4-5 scores in 2011).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting on for 200 J.W., 100 for J.G., and about 50 each for Horner, and Barry. 25 or so for J.N.H., and about 15 each for Elfman and T. Newman. Added to that, I have the odd 2-3 scores by composers, and other stuff, so I would say approximately 1000.

Somewhere between 450 - 500. Not including scores from which I only have a few tracks or a main theme.

Maybe 150 of those are physical too.

I've done 2 major culls to get rid of stuff I don't listen to, and I plan to continue to keep my collection manageable.

For physical CD's (that's including the Ron Jones TNG set) I've got 161 as it stands now.

For scores on my hard drive, that are expanded, promos and complete scores, it's a lot more.

No idea. I've been cutting down drastically over the last few years. Used to have about 1000. Now it's somewere between 6-700, I would think (plus a couple of hundred non-film score CD's). Still have lots more to sell too.

My iTunes has some more (since I've also downloaded quite a few albums that I don't have in CD format) - current count is 925 albums and more than 15 000 tracks!

It was approaching 450 a good while back, but I haven't really taken inventory in years. I imagine it's right around that number now. I'm about to add to it with a handful of scores I've been waiting to get for a while now, but aside from those occasional bursts, I'd just about say my collection is "complete."

- Uni

I have nearly 2400 itens on my physical collection (mostly classical, then film scores, and some jazz) -- then some 60 vinyl albums. I never counted how many recordings I have on my 4 hard drives and numerous back up DVD-Rs.

I may have miscounted

Star Wars Complete Saga (6), Back to the Future (2), Indiana Jones (4), Jaws, Star Wars The Clone Wars, Superman The Movie, Jurassic Park (2), How To Train Your Dragon, Chicken Run, and Lord of the Rings (3 1/2).

so about 22 1/2

My iTunes file count stands currently around 41,000 music files. Some are downloads, but most are ripped from a CD. But all you really need to know is:

They're real, and they're spectacular!

I may have miscounted

Star Wars Complete Saga (6), Back to the Future (2), Indiana Jones (4), Jaws, Star Wars The Clone Wars, Superman The Movie, Jurassic Park (2), How To Train Your Dragon, Chicken Run, and Lord of the Rings (3 1/2).

so about 22 1/2

Kinda surprised you have such a small collection of physical CD's.

My iTunes file count stands currently around 41,000 music files. Some are downloads, but most are ripped from a CD. But all you really need to know is:

I know that I am showing my ignorance, but when you talk of "files", do you mean whole CDs, or individual tracks?

I'm up over 200 albums now, and quite happy with what I have. I'd rather keep it manageable and listenable that just grab a bunch of stuff for the sake of making it look better.

I know that I am showing my ignorance, but when you talk of "files", do you mean whole CDs, or individual tracks?

Hey Richard,

Just tracks, of course. If anyone here has 41K albums/CDs, then I feel sorry for their hard drive! :)

I'd go through and count the different albums, but that would take forever. Lots of my albums aren't film scores, they are classical recordings of things from Aaron Copland works to Elliot Carter's String Quartets, pop music, jazz, etc. I've had to become more rounded and versatile in my listening than I ever thought I would have to be, which is why I may be listening to "Alexander Nevsky" on the way to work, and Ludacris on the way home. haha :blink:

Hey Richard,

Just tracks, of course. If anyone here has 41K albums/CDs, then I feel sorry for their hard drive! :)

I'd go through and count the different albums, but that would take forever. Lots of my albums aren't film scores, they are classical recordings of things from Aaron Copland works to Elliot Carter's String Quartets, pop music, jazz, etc. I've had to become more rounded and versatile in my listening than I ever thought I would have to be, which is why I may be listening to "Alexander Nevsky" on the way to work, and Ludacris on the way home. haha :blink:

That's an awful lot of music, which most people can only dream of owning. Even if the average CD had 10 tracks, it still means that you would have in excess of 4000 CDs - no mean feat.

P.s., I've just Googled "Ludacris". He's a bit of a 180 from "Alexander Nevsky". :lol:

I'm up over 200 albums now, and quite happy with what I have. I'd rather keep it manageable and listenable that just grab a bunch of stuff for the sake of making it look better.

Amateur!

Shame on you, Mark! You can NEVER have enough good music! :P

When your stack of unopened CDs rivals your stack of opened ones, we'll talk.

Not sure what you mean, there, Wojo, could you explain. How many unopened CDs do you have?

I at least open mine when I get them and take them for a test spin to make sure they are ok.

I once bought a sealed (sealed, mind you!) Varese 2-CD "The Fury", in London, only to get it home to find...CD 1 was missing!!!!!!! I made a sound you would not want to hear twice in your life (or once, for that matter).

Not sure what you mean, there, Wojo, could you explain. How many unopened CDs do you have?

At least 20 if you count those still sealed.

If you count those that I bought used but have not touched yet, upwards of 50.

Factor in the three large compilcations of classical music that I bought, add another 40 to that.

I at least open mine when I get them and take them for a test spin to make sure they are ok.

I too always open the ones I get the day I get them. I rip them to my hard drive then put them on my CD shelf.

If you have any sort of 'stack' of unopened CDs, you're buying too many.

I agree.

I too always open the ones I get the day I get them. I rip them to my hard drive then put them on my CD shelf.

If you have any sort of 'stack' of unopened CDs, you're buying too many.

I agree.

Bull. I'm not buying too many. I'm not making the time to open and rip them fast enough. My job, my schoolwork, my meager social life, and sleep are creating a bottleneck.

Buying too many? Huh. So I should have waited until I had some spare time and space before buying Flesh+Blood, Cliffhanger, Predator, Spacecamp, Home Alone, and Star Trek V? Someone's hat is too tight.

The hobby and industry of collecting limited edition soundtracks is nothing at all like buying movies or books. You don't have to buy the movie or book the day of. It'll be there. Soundtracks vanish like that <snaps fingers loudly, bothering person beside him>, and once they're gone, I either have to pay above retail or pirate them.

Once I buy them, they're mine and I can take my sweet time getting around to them.

It's a good thing I'm not telling you guys how many unplayed games and unread books I've bought...

I say bullshit to that. I think you're just being lazy about ripping CD's.

It doesn't take very long to rip a CD (maybe what under a minute?) then put it on your iPod, iPhone or whatever mp3 type player you have. Then of course listen to it while you're not doing anything.

I'll stop trying to get through to you.

At the end of the day, there are the haves and the have-nots. When it comes to the music I want, I'm not in the have-nots. That's the difference.

Wojo, the same thing happens with me. Since last March (2010) I have had a constant stack of new or unopened CDs to listen to, it's overwhelming at times but it's nice. I listen to them in the order that I receive them and each CD gets listened to twice and all the notes read before I rip it to itunes and put the CD on the shelf with the main collection.

My current stack, in the order of which they'll be listened to, has...

1. Battlestar Galactica (Phillips, Intrada)

2. Jason and the Argonauts (Herrmann, Intrada rerecording)

3. Rich and Famous (Delerue)

4. Le cinema de Georges Delerue (6 cd set)

5. Fear Strikes Out/The Tin Star (Bernstein)

6. Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy

7. Cliffhanger (Jones, Intrada)

8. Distant Worlds 2: More Music from Final Fantasy

9. Last of the Mohicans (Rerecording)

10. El Cid (Sedares recording)

11. Michael Collins (Goldenthal)

12. Robin and Marian (Barry, rerecording)

13. Ivanhoe (Rozsa, Intrada rerecording)

14. Sweeney Todd (Orgiginal cast, 2 disc)

15. Miklos Rozsa: Hollywood Legend (Bernstein recording)

16. The Essential Elmer Bernstein Film Music Collection (2 disc Prague recording)

17. The Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith (Telarc recording with London Symphony)

18. Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams

Plus on the way I have Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend, One Little Indian, and In Harms Way. And I just won an auction for the Varese Club Goldsmith at 20th Century Fox box set. So I'm set for a long time, but I don't plan to stop buying either. Hence a never ending pile!

Interestingly, I think that this particular pile is very representative of my collecting habits regarding composers and eras.

And to answer the question of the topic, I don't have a count right now since my spreadsheets got deleted on my old computer, but I have something in the area of 700-800 film score albums/box sets and perhaps 150-200 classical recordings. And maybe 20 rock albums, mostly Bon Jovi, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, or Rolling Stones.

Wojo has a very particular and meticulous way of ripping and tagging his music. I don't blame him for buying the scores upfront, we all know how fast they can sell out. I still have upwards of 20 Blu-rays that I haven't watched yet, simply because I don't have the time to sit down and burn through them all in a weekend.

Not to mention other hobbies such as music and gaming. I sometimes buy faster than I can listen. There are definitely a few scores I've skipped over and haven't gotten too, and others that simply don't get much play time in the grand scheme of things.

With all that being said, who cares anyway? His music, his life, his money, let him do what he wants.

I'm operating under the guise of "it hasn't happened yet, so it probably won't." It's the same theory that allows me to scream at 80 mph on the open freeway at night oblivious to deer and cops.

I once bought a sealed (sealed, mind you!) Varese 2-CD "The Fury", in London, only to get it home to find...CD 1 was missing!!!!!!! I made a sound you would not want to hear twice in your life (or once, for that matter).

:lol2:

Sorry, Richard. Not to laugh at your misfortune, but, the way you worded it. Did you get it replaced?

Wojo, can you still open and spin the CD itself in a standard CD player, before ripping and tagging? Just for enjoyment? Are you unhappy with your backlog, or are you OK with it?