Rare Score Collection being sold by Intrada

Jay

2/9/11

One of the projects finally getting tackled around here has been mentioned a few times but not yet really embarked upon: the posting for sale of a massive collection of out-of-print and rare CDs from a former collector's estate. Yes, several thousand. Some of you wrote with specific inquiries, others just wanted to know when we'd regularly start posting the titles on our "one-of-a-kind" pages. We did move a small handful over the last year but until now we just couldn't find time to really go at it.

Well, the time has come. With the addition of Steve now as a full-timer, I've threat... I mean encouraged him to manage the task of inventorying and posting some titles every week. It's a very data-intensive job but somebody (not me) has to do it. Titles will go up on the site in totally random order be they ultra-rare or common as dust and prices will be all over the map. Eventually Steve'll scan the artwork as well, but for now he's at least getting some stuff sorted out and posted. Which leaves me more time to snooz... I mean mix, edit and master upcoming albums. That's much more fun than entering endless text on the website.

One thing we still have to sort out. The collection has all of our early releases as well. I've never been a fan of selling our own rare CDs at inflated prices. That said, I know the prices these things get on the secondary market so I don't wanna just give them away, either. (Every extra buck we take in goes back into upcoming projects, which is something I am a fan of.) So rare Intrada discs will appear at some point.

As if you don't have enough CDs out there to choose from already!

The place these will go up for sale is here:

http://store.intrada...ategory.2116/.f

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really cool, particularly about their previous releases being included. I'd love a chance to pick up The Tower, their first signature release.

Surely though if it's a collector, there isn't going to be more than one of a particular title...

Hope Jaws 3-D comes up, along with some of the Goldsmiths, at an affordable price.

Love that the first disc up there is a Doug Fake score.

That's not from this 'collector batch', it's been there for ages. I bought it along with one of my orders in 2009 and it's a really nice score. Absolutely worth getting for $3.

Hope Jaws 3-D comes up, along with some of the Goldsmiths, at an affordable price.

Love that the first disc up there is a Doug Fake score.

That's not from this 'collector batch', it's been there for ages. I bought it along with one of my orders in 2009 and it's a really nice score. Absolutely worth getting for $3.

$3? $3???!!! Where?????!!!!!

I'd buy that for a...er...$3.

http://store.intrada...2&category=2037

In the 2 or 3 years I've been properly aware of Intrada, every time I've looked in Anything Goes, that score's been in there (and apart from a clearout last year, the only one in there). Maybe they don't want to give it unfair prominence due to being composed by Doug Fake.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I was wrong before about this collector guy's scores...

I thought they'd be going up in the Anything Goes section.... but I did some more digging around their site and now I believe they are actually going to go here, under "One of a Kind Items":

I'm pretty sure the annoying ebay sellers (that make everything more expensive) like jbt9955 or what's his name are all over this. And I'm not the person to check this out on an hourly basis.

So that random sale of used scores they got from that collector?

I thought they'd be going up in the Anything Goes section.... but I did some more digging around their site and now I believe they are actually going to go here, under "One of a Kind Items":

Anything Goes is for the really cheap priced CDs or stuff they really want to move, whether it be limited, OOP etc etc. One Of A Kind Items will always feature unique, OOP, limited editions or scores they know will grab some cash on the secondary market.

Unless it's dirt cheap.

I picked up the Spartacus OST* because it was under $20 and I was not familiar enough with the score to justify the Varese set.

Here's a question:

Intrada got 3,000 CDs from a composer, right? Doug said they'd eventually list them all for sale in a random order, right?

Well, if they knew an expanded version of a score was coming (either from their label or another's) it would behoove them to list those CDs BEFORE the expanded version came out, right? I mean, they won't get any money for something like, say, Dracula OST if they try to sell it after a new version is out, right?

Something to ponder :)

True but using SAE as an example, they will put used stuff regardless and there will always be some collector(s) who want the original as well and are willing to shell out the cash for it.

I would hesitant to buy anything that hasn't been issued in the past 10 years.

Yes, but there's a lot of stuff to reissue. Even with a CD per week between Intrada and LLL there's so much expandable music out there.

Even if Dracula wasn't a likely candidate for reissue, $100 is way too much. I think I bought mine for around $40, most sell in the 40-60 range.

OK I've decided I'm going to start posting the titles that go up for sale here in this thread. This morning they had one listed that made me go "Oh, hopefully they are selling that now because an expanded version is coming soon" - problem is, I've already forgotten what it was, and its been sold :P

Right now they have:

John Williams - Dracula ($100)

Ennio Morricone - Frantic ($60)

Alfred Newman - Prince Of Foxes ($10)

Honestly, I wouldn't get my hopes up that every CD being sold may be up for grabs because Intrada is going to release it...more likely, they know some other label may at some point release it (meaning they're speculating as much as we are) and they don't want to risk investing in a CD that will soon be worth less than half its original price.

I agree its not a true indicator by any means, but it will be interesting to look back in this thread and see if anything thats gets released later this year was sold by them earlier this year

John Barry - Across The Sea Of Time ($18)

Jerry Goldsmith - The Burbs ($40)

Michael Kamen - Don Juan DeMarco ($7)

Edward Artemyev - The Inner Circle ($40)

Maurice Jarre - Tai-Pan ($100)

Alex North - Cleopatra ($25)

Danny Elfman - Extreme Measures ($6)

Elmer Bernstein - Frankie Starlight ($10)

Maurice Jarre - The Professionals ($40)

John Williams - Sabrina ($7)

• 2 weeks later...

Georges Delerue & Vladimir Cosma & Jean-Pierre Bourtayre - Arsene Lupin ($50)

Elmer Bernstein - The Cemetery Club ($5)

Geir Bohren and Bent Aserud - The Dive ($6)

Henny Vrienten - Kongo ($10)

Geir Bohren & Bent Aserud - The Last Contract ($5)

Alex North - The Misfits (Ryko) ($4)

Carles Cases - Pareja De Tres ($12)

James Horner -The Rocketeer ($15)

Jerry Goldsmith - Sleeping With The Enemy ($13)

Daniel Tarrab & Andres Goldstein - Some Who Lived (Algunos Que Vivieron) ($6)

I'd highly recommend The Rocketeer to anyone who likes James Horner but doesn't have it. It's one of his best scores and unlikely to ever be expanded

Georges Delerue & Vladimir Cosma & Jean-Pierre Bourtayre - Arsene Lupin ($50)

Elmer Bernstein - The Cemetery Club ($5)

Geir Bohren and Bent Aserud - The Dive ($6)

Henny Vrienten - Kongo ($10)

Geir Bohren & Bent Aserud - The Last Contract ($5)

Alex North - The Misfits (Ryko) ($4)

Carles Cases - Pareja De Tres ($12)

James Horner -The Rocketeer ($15)

Jerry Goldsmith - Sleeping With The Enemy ($13)

Daniel Tarrab & Andres Goldstein - Some Who Lived (Algunos Que Vivieron) ($6)

I'd highly recommend The Rocketeer to anyone who likes James Horner but doesn't have it. It's one of his best scores and unlikely to ever be expanded

Jason, what's with the Rocketeer? Damaged masters, nearly complete OST release ...?

With all those multiple rereleases of their classic animated films, you would think they wouldn't have any problem expanding scores for rerelease.

What's their issue?

They've simply never licensed a title that already had an OST to one of our beloved labels for expansion before.

They've let labels release scores that never had an OST - Honey I Shrunk The Kids, The Journey Of Natty Gann, etc. But no premiere releases.

They've simply never licensed a title that already had an OST to one of our beloved labels for expansion before.

They've let labels release scores that never had an OST - Honey I Shrunk The Kids, The Journey Of Natty Gann, etc. But no premiere releases.

Which sucks since that almost guarantees that we won't see a score like The Rocketeer released in complete form by one of our labels.

One hundred percent correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Nigel Westlake - Babe ($6)

Theo Nijland - BJ Nader Inzien ($6)

Janusz Stoklosa - Ekstradycja 3 ($5)

Athur Honegger - Honegger: Musiques D Films & De Scene ($15)

Nathan Barr - Hostel: Part II ($17)

Geir Bohren and Bent Aserud - The Ice Palace ($7)

Bjorn ISfalt - Isfalt: Filmmusik ($5)

Juan Carlos Cuello - Pidele Cuentas Al Rey ($7)

Bill Conti - The Thomas Crown Affair ($20)

Zbigniew Preisner - Weiser ($15)

Jeff Rona - White Squall ($12)

• 3 weeks later...

Henry Mancini - Adventures Of The Great Mouse Detective ($10)

James Newton Howard - Collateral ($8)

James Newton Howard - Grand Canyon ($10)

Richard Hartley - Sheena ($100)

Alex North - A Streetcar Named Desire (Goldsmith conducting) ($40)

Jerry Goldsmith - The Sum Of All Fears ($30)

Georges Delerue - True Confessions ($100)

Christopher Young - The Vagrant ($30)

• 2 months later...

Jerry Goldsmith - Angie ($5)

Bernard Herman - At Fox Volume 1 ($15)

Jerry Goldsmith - Congo ($12)

Dave Grusin - Havana ($4)

John Williams - Heartbeeps ($40)

John Williams - Jaws 2 ($60)

Alan Silvestri - Judge Dredd ($20)

Jerry Goldsmith - Legend ($15)

Hans Zimmer - The Rock ($7)

If those are the nice prices, i don't want to know what they charged for them in regular sale.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Some of the those prices are pretty steep.