BloodBoal

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, I think Dexter has one of the best opening sequences I've ever seen. It's shot marvelously well, and it perfectly conveys who the character is without showing anything the average person couldn't see on an average morning. And the music is fun, to boot!

If we're judging just on music, though, I'd have to pick Star Trek (TOS), not only for the cheesy 60s fun of the original theme song, but also for the great music that it would later inspire in the films.

LOST

Simple yet effective.

The Pacific had a good albeit very long opening sequence.

The Simpsons is classic.

I also like the original Scrubs opening.

I'm sorry Koray, I normally don't ridicule you for you taste in music like some members here.

BUT THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE.

The Lost intro is a fucking fart slowed to 1/10th its normal speed.

Funny you posted this because I was just thinking about the Who's the Boss opening credits this morning. Not necessarily my favorites, but I miss hearing these ones from my childhood:

- Family Ties

- Laverne and Shirley

- The Cosby Show

- Mr. Belvedere

I also like Gilmore Girls, 30 Rock and Veronica Mars. I think my all-time favorite is Pushing Daisies.

LOST

Carnivale

Six Feet Under

Agreed. Thomas Newman's theme for "Six Feet Under" is something special.

The main titles for "Carnivale", alone, are worth the price of admission. This is a show that gets almst zero attention, simply because so few people have heard of it, let alone watched it.

Babylon 5

Every year had different theme music and different visuals, I don't know of any other show to do that.

Yeah! "B5" is a fantastic show. 'Nuff said.

I really need to rent that show

No Jason; you need to buy it, and keep it close, because it's a brilliant piece of work.

I like "Firefly", if only for the song: sweet. "Twin Peaks" is amazing in its ordinariness, totally belying what's to come, and undermining the audience like a sonofabitch.

Nothing, however, could match that glorious Saturday 26th March, 2005, when HE returned to BBC1. I'm not ashamed to say that there were tears in the Richard household.

Carnivale is one of the best television series of all time, and its a shame Daniel Knauf only got to tell the first third of his story

LOST

Simple yet effective.

I'm sorry Koray, I normally don't ridicule you for you taste in music like some members here.

BUT THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE.

The Lost intro is a fucking fart slowed to 1/10th its normal speed.

Musically, it fits with the rest of the score quite well. Mysterious atonal music. It's not a masterpiece nor something I would/do enjoy listening to, but it fits. Visually, it's pretty much perfect.

I'm probably biased because I think LOST is the greatest thing ever. Just watched "The Incident" and cried like a baby.

Aren't we getting ever-so-slightly off-topic, here? I think that BloodBoal's original intent was to pick main titles of TV shows that interest visually first, and musically second. I've just the seen opening of "CHiPs", and the best thing that I can say about it is, that it is one minute and twenty seconds of my life which I'll never get back. ;) Carnivale, on the other is worth watching for the titles alone.

Overall, I think Dexter has one of the best opening sequences I've ever seen. It's shot marvelously well, and it perfectly conveys who the character is without showing anything the average person couldn't see on an average morning. And the music is fun, to boot!

I actually don't care for the Dexter opening credits. Marcy and I started fast forwarding through it (though that might have just been cause we were watching so many episodes so close)

Also I mis-quoted her before: It was seasons 1 and 4 she liked the best, not 1 and 5

I actually don't care for the Dexter opening credits. Marcy and I started fast forwarding through it (though that might have just been cause we were watching so many episodes so close)

Well, I often fast-forward through shows' credits after having seen them a few times. That's more a function of how fast they are, and how many other distractions I have while watching. But anyway, to each his own. I think it's well-done. :)

Also I mis-quoted her before: It was seasons 1 and 4 she liked the best, not 1 and 5

Whew, okay...I feel better about you being with this girl now, Jay. ;)

Omen II, excellent clip, never heard of that one before. And it stars the Lost main character! (I still like Poirot more, though :))

Moving away from the OP's search for visually interesting main title sequences (I'm more interested in the themes themselves to be honest), as well as moving away from this thread's ridiculous emphasis on US TV (;)), I was thinking I'd link you guys to two TV theme highlights from Belgium, check them out:

The original De Mol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-a-a8DrvDs&feature=related

TV theme at 1:14

(By the way: does anyone know what music is played in the first minute of that clip? I've always wondered.)

Heterdaad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nhz5ueeKgo&feature=related

End Credits at 12:50

It's synth - but there's a great (and superior) symphonic version on the CD (that I think was used for season 2), but I can't find it on youtube unfortunately.

TNG. I especially love the part where the Enterprise rises into frame with Picard narration and Courage theme. Magic.

Also, when you see a guy walking on the bridge at the end.

The other Star Treks are pretty awesome. Voyager and DS9, although I prefer the original DS9.

In no particular order:

Angel

Doctor Who (Series 5/11th Doctor version)

Fringe (both the 80s and normal versions... Who'd have thought Abrams could compose an actual good title theme?)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Police Squad!

Voyager

I also like all the intros to The Wire, where in each season you get a different version of the same song and short glimpses of things to come. It's fun when you see it for the first time and you don't know the context for all these images and only as the story unfolds it all starts to make sense. That's probably why I never pressed FF at this point while watching an episode. There's nothing glamorous about it, but it sets the right tone. They have also great season openers. They all kind of encapsulate the theme of each one quite well, I'd say. And the opening quotes are great too. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmIvu1yg3bU

Karol