John Williams and the Boston Pops - "Hooray For Hollywood" - May 25-28, 2011

TownerFan

As just reported of the JWFan main page, Williams will premiere his Oboe Concerto on May 25, 2011 with the Boston Pops:

http://www.bso.org/bso/mods/perf_detail.jsp?pid=prod3880218

HOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD AND A TRIBUTE TO AUDREY HEPBURN (May 25, 26, & 28)

John Williams may be known for his famous film scores including Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Harry Potter, but he’s also written many orchestral works that showcase the talented musicians of the Boston Symphony and Boston Pops. On May 25, the first night of the Boston Pops Laureate Conductor’s three performances at Symphony Hall, Mr. Williams will present the world premiere of his Concerto for Oboe, written especially for principal Pops oboist Keisuke Wakao. Film footage will be featured alongside the Hollywood scores during much of the second half of the performance. In addition to a special tribute to Audrey Hepburn, this program will feature a tribute to the heroes of film, including the Suite from Casablanca, and music inspired by the villains of the silver screen including selections from Dracula, and the “Imperial March” from The Empire Strikes Back.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pity he never did trumpet concerto for late maurice murphy,that would of been great!luckily sort of makes up for it in scores.

I've been going to John Williams' May concerts in Boston every year since 2008. Guess I should keep that trend going, eh?

Last year I waited outside in the POURING rain, and got him to sign my HOOK LP!

Fantastic! I'll be sure to tune in the webradio on May. The last two times it was the closest I'll be to being there! :)

Edit: And check the description!

John Williams, the brilliant composer and conductor behind films including Jaws, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and the Harry Potter series, brings you a night of some of the most memorable movie music and film clips of all time with special emphasis on the villians and heroes we’ve all grown to love. The concert also features the world premiere of Williams’ Concerto for Oboe, written for Pops principal oboist Keisuke Wakao.

:up:

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought my tickets on the third row !!! I'm such a big fan of his concertos. Can't wait to see the new one.

On the seating chart, it says : each number represents a table seating 5. So there are tables in Boston Symphony Hall ? I don't see this on the pictures. Anyone knows anything about it ?

Between the stage and standard seating on the floor level, there are little tables. It's an awkward arrangement, especially when you're squished in with a bunch of strangers and if they're all annoyingly ordering drinks during the concert. But Williams and the Pops will be right in front of you, or kind of on top of you. It'll be cool.

I havent gotten my tickets yet. I just got to make sure my buddy wants to go.

Jason, what night are you going? Maybe you can help me get the maestro's autograph?

Here's the program for the Boston concerts:

WILLIAMS

Jubilee 350

WILLIAMS

Suite from Far and Away

WILLIAMS

Devil's Dance from The Witches of Eastwick

WILLIAMS

Night Journey from Dracula

WILLIAMS

Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back

WILLIAMS

March from 1941

WILLIAMS

Theme from Sabrina

HERMANN

The Inquirer from Citizen Kane

STEINER

Suite from Casablanca

WILLIAMS

Oboe Concerto (premiere)

WILLIAMS

A Tribute to George Lucas and Steven Spielberg

Wow, some real gems among the usual suspects... "Night Journeys" from Dracula! And "Jubilee 350" (one of my favourite JW celebratory pieces)! I officially envy all of you who will attend! ;)

I havent gotten my tickets yet. I just got to make sure my buddy wants to go.

Jason, what night are you going? Maybe you can help me get the maestro's autograph?

Dunno yet, I kinda forgot about this. Let me talk to the GF and decide on a night

• 2 weeks later...

Got tickets for the Wednesday and Saturday concerts. For Wednesday, I'll be right in front of the stage. Then we're doing right balcony.

They replace the oboe concerto with suite from Memoirs of a Geisha for the Saturday show. Neat!

They replace the oboe concerto with suite from Memoirs of a Geisha for the Saturday show. Neat!

Darn, this means the Oboe Concerto will not be broadcasted on WGBH radio... I guess they changed the program for this very reason.

So, anyone attending the Wednesday or Thursday concerts: bring on your recorders! :)

I didn't even realize these concerts were broadcast... what dates for the 2008 and 2010 series were broadcast?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Will also be there Wednesday the 25th. Looking forward to hearing "Jubilee 350" and "Sabrina" in concert for the first time, along with the "Far and Away" suite that I can never grow tired of.

Hoping for a sneak peek at "War Horse" or "Titin" as an encore... the usual suspects (ET and Indiana Jones) are included in the Lucas/Spielberg tribute so it'll have to be something new.

I was at the May 15th show!! :o

Did anyone record the broadcast??

I do have it :o) ... I will try to upload it soon as it'll be possible ;)

I'm attending Thursday night's show, but won't be recording anything. I don't own any "fancy" recording equipment for starters, but I also won't be fliming videos on my camera like I have in previous years. Just going to enjoy the music this year :)

I was at the May 15th show!! :o

Did anyone record the broadcast??

I do have it :o) ... I will try to upload it soon as it'll be possible ;)

Thanks!!!

---

I'm going to tonight's show!!!! John Williams on Star Wars' 34th birthday, can't get more epic than that! :D

I'm also going tomorrow night. My girlfriend and I will be eating dinner at that noodle place nearby for dinner before the show, then waiting outside to hopefully get JW's autograph after the show

yep. You literally just wait outside after exiting. Last year I stood there with my then-GF for 45 minutes in the rain with a group of ~20-30 other people

I dunno about that. It's where the arrow points in the pic I posted. You won't miss the crowd of people standing there