Home cinema.

We all discuss films, and film music, but how do you watch films at home? Are you happy to view them on your PS3, or on your stereo telly, or do you need something approaching the "cinema experience" to satisfy you?

What about film scores? Do you listen to music re-mixed in 5.1 (or even in 6.1, sometimes), or are you a 2-channel purist?

What about the various sound/vision formats? Are you a DVD, or a Blu-Ray person? Are you happy with Dolby Digital, or do you need DTS Audio Master to get your movie rocks off? Taking into consideration that the soundtrack is half of a film (and is, more often than not, the most manipulative part of it!), is the presentation of sound important to you?

I hope to purchase a 7.1 Blu-Ray system in the near future, but what do JWfan-ers prefer?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have:

46" Samsung 1080p LCD

Denon 7.1 AV Receiver

LG 1080p Blu Ray Player

Oppo 1080p up-converting DVD player

DirecTV HD Reciever w/ DVR

Energy Encore 5.1 Speaker set

DirecTV box, Oppo, and Blu ray are all HDMI. Also have a Wii and X-Box (not 360) hooked up with component cables and many old school systems (Gamecube, N64, Dreamcast) hooke up S-Video or Composite

I don't have any TVs or sound systems right now. I do all of my watching and listening at my computer. I'm sure I'll get a TV (etc.) at some point, but right now, I have neither the space nor the funds to justify the purchase.

yea in college I just used my computer for personal viewing; the TVs in all my dorm rooms were always various roommates of mine

My present to myself when I got my first "real" job after college was a TV - a whopping 32" Sanyo tube TV woot!

I am fortunate enough to have a bona fide Man Cave in my basement. For the past 9 years, I've enjoyed movies on a 65 inch Mitsubishi television, which while a bit old skool (1080i, rear projection technology), it provides a very warm, film-like presentation. What it lacks in LCD clarity, it more than makes up for with it's picture size.

I have a Sony Blu Ray player, and various DVD players I never use.

I have some lovely somewhat high-end-ish audio, which was chosen and installed with help from an audiophile family member. A 5.1 Panasonic receiver, B&W Front speakers, a Paradigm center speaker, a sub, and 3 rear surround speakers which are installed in the wall behind me.

There is certainly much better, newer stuff out there, but I am never feeling the need to upgrade.

TV: LG 47 inch LDC TV (edge lit LED )

Surround : Sony 5.1 receiver(I only use 5 full range speakers no sub woofer)

TV programs: HD cable box

Blu Ray/ DVD :Play Station 3

Games: Play Station 3 and xbox360

3 rear surround speakers

3?! How can you have 3 rear speakers on a 5.1 system?

No sub at all? Don't you miss the LFEs?

Toshiba DLP Full HD 1080p + 6.1 Surround Sound + Blu-ray = My home theater

Same thing. Minus the sound system.

I plan on converting our den into a movie theater some day. Some time, when my wife isn't looking.

No sub at all? Don't you miss the LFEs?

I used the setting that re-directs the bass to the speakers. I live in an apartment and this way I can even keep the 5 speakers on at night.

(I do own a sub-woofer but it's in a closet somewhere)

3 rear surround speakers

3?! How can you have 3 rear speakers on a 5.1 system?

Sorry, my mistake. It is a 6.1 receiver.

Projector: Epson PowerLite 8350

Screen: Da-Lite High Power

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V765

Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S570

Fronts: NHT Absolute Towers

Rears: NHT Absolute Zeros

Center: NHT TwoC

Sub: Premier Acoustics PA-120

why do people still use projectors?

Isn't it a hassle to use and only work ok in very dim rooms?

I'm just wondering what's the main advantage of using one

37" Insignia 1080p

Sony Blu-Ray player BDP-S350

I got a crappy stereo system. I got 2 speakers in the front, with built in sub-woofer, and 2 speakers in the back.

Oh I guess this is the thread to mention the PS3 doesn't work with universal remotes and you have to buy a 80$ gizmo to make it work with a Harmony

This is why I've learned to hate Sony over the years, there's always some bullshit like this to deal with

PS3 doesn't work with the Harmony One? Whew, thanks for the heads up, because I was very close to buying one with my awesome discount.

If we're going to get all technical, my blu-ray player is a PS3, my receiver is Phillips I believe, and my speakers and subwoofer are Yamaha. All connected with HDMI and optical audio. Oh, and HD cable box as well.

The main "setup" is 37" Samsung LED LCD and Samsung Blu-ray player, they work great together. I don't yet own the sourround speaker system but I'm planning on buying it this year. Sometimes, I also watch movies (only DVDs) on my PC on a 22" Samsung LCD monitor.

Oh I guess this is the thread to mention the PS3 doesn't work with universal remotes and you have to buy a 80$ gizmo to make it work with a Harmony

This is why I've learned to hate Sony over the years, there's always some bullshit like this to deal with

I use the controller to navigate Blu-ray discs. It gets the job done.

The main "setup" is 37" Samsung LED LCD and Samsung Blu-ray player, they work great together. I don't yet own the surround speaker system but I'm planning on buying it this year. Sometimes, I also watch movies (only DVDs) on my PC on a 22" Samsung LCD monitor.

I'll take that as a recommendation, Mag, as the 7.1 system that I want is also Samsung. My budget probably won't run to it, so I'll have to make do with a 5.1 Blu Ray set-up. Oh the shame! :lol:

Seriously; as a long-standing audiophile, and one who places great importance on how a film sounds as well as how it looks, it's very reassuring to know that JWfan-ers feel the same way.

To deviate ever so slightly from the main topic: what DVDs/Blu Rays would you all say that has the score well represented? By this, I mean which scores sound top-notch on home cinema systems, and why?

Personally I like how "ST:V", and "Basic Instinct" both sound (especially with the latter in DTS). So, what DVDs/Blu Rays have a score that is not only forward in the mix, but also has a good surround spread?

Conversely, are there are scores that are over-mixed, or under-mixed? Does the music get in the way of the rest of the soundtrack, or is it inaudible?

Just my PC and some decent stereo speakers for music (well, headphones most of the time).

A standalone blu-ray player for BDs and DVDs, with a Sky HD box.

All of it goes through a 1080p LG monitor/TV - I can switch it from being a dual display or showing a normal picture from BD/Sky.

Even when I get my own place, I doubt I'll have a man-cave. I like having everything in one place, not a hole in the dark.

I have the Sony blu-ray remote. It's a lot more functional than the controller, and only $20.

Samsung PN63B550 63" 1080P High Definition Plasma TV

Onkyo TXNR807 7.1 Home theater receiver

Sony Playstation 3

Microsoft X-Box 360 W/ HD-DVD attachment (Yes, I have a bunch of movies...)

- also w/ Kindle

Nintendo WII

Sony BDPS560 High Definition Blu-Ray DVD Player

Panamax SP8-AV AC & Coax Power Protection

Verizon Fios DVR

Mirage MX 5.1 Channel Miniature High-Performance Speaker System

2 additional Mirage MX speakers for the rear center surrounds

- Don't let these little speakers fool you, the amount and clarity that are thrown out of these little beats is unreal and far beats the Bose system I had previously. They fire upwards and umbrella the audio so placement is barely an issue, and anywhere you sit in the room is the perfect seat. The sub that comes with it as well fires as deep as any expensive sub I've ever had.

I'm very happy with my little man-cave setup. I barely ever go to the movies anymore thanks to Fios On Demand and DVR, and Netflix (as well and Netflix streaming on the 360 and PS3), I am very happy with tv and film.

post-118-0-65261800-1299769570_thumb.jpg

Sanyo PLV-Z4000 1080p LCD projector

90" 16:9 screen

Momitsu BDP-899 Blu-ray player (region free)

Arcam AR100 5.1 receiver

Tannoy Mercury speaker set

(also connected: a PS3 and a Wii)

Big screen that's hidden when you're not using it, no cables or equipment necessary on the "front side" of the room. In fact my screen goes over three Ikea Billy shelves partly filled with my DVD and Blu-ray collection. When I got my curtains, I made sure to pick light-proof ones, so dimming my room isn't a problem.

How about the sharpness of these thing? All projectors I've seen seemed to have a pretty soft and fuzzy picture with not so good contrast .Not sure how it is with the newer HD ones

yeah it does, but it's not very intuitive. Also it means I still have to keep the TV remote around to change the TV input. The Harmony works perfect with the xbox360 though

PS3 doesn't work with the Harmony One? Whew, thanks for the heads up, because I was very close to buying one with my awesome discount.

it does, if you buy the remote adapter. The PS3 has no IR port apparently

http://reviews.cnet.com/remote-controls/logitech-harmony-adapter-for/4505-7900_7-33656465.html

How about the sharpness of these thing? All projectors I've seen seemed to have a pretty soft and fuzzy picture with not so good contrast .Not sure how it is with the newer HD ones

I never owned an LCD/plasma TV, but when I replaced my Sony Trinitron TV with my first LCD projector in 2003 or so, it actually did better at dark movies than the TV (and at less the price). Back then LCD was still infamous for high fade-out times, leaving trails behind bright objects, but that effect was actually much worse on my TV. Dark City became much more watchable all of a sudden. As far as sharpness goes, LCDs were always sharper than CRTs, so that was a plus back then as well.

I've had my new projector (my third, all Sanyos) since Christmas, and I'm perfectly happy with it. Blu-rays became much more spectacular compared to the previous 720p model, and when watching Dark Knight, I can't imagine anyone having a problem with its sharpness. As far as resolution goes, I could probably go from the current 2m wide screen to a 3m one, but the projector probably wouldn't be powerful enough for that (few in its price range are) and I wouldn't know where to put the screen. But at 2m width, it's still great, and quite big enough (I'm sitting about 3.5m away from the screen).

At my current contrast settings (I actually stuck to one of the defaults this time), it's probably not as high on contrast as it could be, and probably even less so than TVs with high contrast settings, but it's certainly high enough and looks real/film-like. Setting it higher probably would mostly introduce artificial contrast.

I'm just wondering what's the main advantage of using one

I use it only for movie watching - which is almost always at night - so ambient light is not an issue. Even if I did use it in the daytime, my projector is ridiculously bright and I get a very good picture with ambient light.

Also, with a projector you get much better bang for your buck. A few years ago a 1080p projector was $10,000. Now you can get them for as low as $1,000. Let's see, $2,000 for an LCD TV that gives me a 55" image, or $1,000 for an LCD projector that gives me a 100" image.

After having both a 55" LCD and the projector, I've learned that you watch movies on a TV, you "experience" them on a projector.

5l78sy.jpg

No, not really. But personally I love the old style TVs which were essentially radios with a screen.

I can imagine the above item in Blade Runner or something.

A friend of mine were agreeing the other day that we miss the manual tuning knob or multi tuning wheels you used to have on older TVs.

It made you feel "one with the machine". None of this fiddling around with unresponsive remotes, nonsense.

One day the old look shall return as a 'retro' thing, but using modern technology. I predict it. Oh yes, it shall come to pass.

So Let It Be Written So Let It Be Done!

Also, with a projector you get much better bang for your buck. A few years ago a 1080p projector was $10,000. Now you can get them for as low as $1,000. Let's see, $2,000 for an LCD TV that gives me a 55" image, or $1,000 for an LCD projector that gives me a 100" image.

After having both a 55" LCD and the projector, I've learned that you watch movies on a TV, you "experience" them on a projector.

I get what you're saying, but the burgeoning manager in me would argue that an LCD TV is a one-time investment (as long as it doesn't break and need expensive service). That projector (as long as it doesn't break and need expensive service) needs replacement bulbs every so many hours, and I don't know how much they cost. They also need a clean wall or a projector screen.

They would certainly be the envy of all man cave owners, that's for sure.

I'd probably burn mine out prematurely by playing video games on that 100" screen.

Don't let these little speakers fool you, the amount and clarity that are thrown out of these little beats is unreal and far beats the Bose system I had previously.

I should think they would! Bose is all T and A, with no guts, whatsoever.

5l78sy.jpg

No, not really. But personally I love the old style TVs which were essentially radios with a screen.

I can imagine the above item in Blade Runner or something.

A friend of mine were agreeing the other day that we miss the manual tuning knob or multi tuning wheels you used to have on older TVs.

It made you feel "one with the machine". None of this fiddling around with unresponsive remotes, nonsense.

One day the old look shall return as a 'retro' thing, but using modern technology. I predict it. Oh yes, it shall come to pass.

So Let It Be Written So Let It Be Done!

Ha, ha, very funny! :lol: "The future's bright: the future's retro".

I can see the "Blade Runner" connection. I believe it's called "future-retro". Unfortunately, it's also called "naff", and I do not intend to go anywhere near it. On the other hand, if you could find a home that is decked out in 50s garb, then it would fit in nicely. I have £5 on me. Think I'll just pop down to see Mr. Magpie, before the royal wedding. I'm sure I won't lose face...

I get what you're saying, but the burgeoning manager in me would argue that an LCD TV is a one-time investment (as long as it doesn't break and need expensive service). That projector (as long as it doesn't break and need expensive service) needs replacement bulbs every so many hours, and I don't know how much they cost.

I use my 55" LCD for everything but movie watching. And since I only watch a few movies a week, the 4,000 hour bulb life is more than enough to last me until my next upgrade.

If you're using it for everything (and most people don't) then yes the costly bulb replacement would be a definite issue to consider (around $300).

We own a Sony Bravia 52" TV, and a Sony Blu Ray player. I am looking to treat myself to a decent surround system this summer. Anyone own this Bose combo?

http://www.amazon.com/Bose%C2%AE-Lifestyle%C2%AE-home-theater-system-Black/dp/B003JQLPWY

If so, how is it? Does anyone recommend anything else instead? $2,000 is pretty much my outside limit, and that's probably pushing it.

I don't have a surround system, yet... However I know when Dawn and I get married next year she wants to get a surround sound system for us as do I.

For now I've got a 42'' Samsung HDTV and a Sony Playstation 3 to act as my Blu-Ray player.

If so, how is it? Does anyone recommend anything else instead? $2,000 is pretty much my outside limit, and that's probably pushing it.

As Steef hinted at, if you ask about Bose in "respectable"/audiophile circles, you won't get any positive comments. Apparently they're all oomph and nothing else.

Ok. That's worth knowing. Oomph has it's place, but as the speaker combo will also double as my music sound system I want to be sure everything sounds as good as it can. I know a B&W set-up would be brilliant, but I don't have the six or seven thousand bucks I'd need to get that off the ground. Can you suggest any affordable alternatives?

I'd love to get a Bose system but like others stated it's just too pricey. My friend Joe got a set of Bose speakers and he said the tiny cubed speakers was about $1,000, just for the speakers!

imac.jpg

It's a bit small, isn't it?

As Steef hinted at, if you ask about Bose in "respectable"/audiophile circles, you won't get any positive comments. Apparently they're all oomph and nothing else.

Ok. That's worth knowing. Oomph has it's place, but as the speaker combo will also double as my music sound system I want to be sure everything sounds as good as it can. I know a B&W set-up would be brilliant, but I don't have the six or seven thousand bucks I'd need to get that off the ground. Can you suggest any affordable alternatives?

It's not often that I find myself agreeing with the Orange One, but Stefan's right. BOSE is nothing but tits and arse! Marian's also right; BOSE has not got a good reputation among serious audiophiles.

If you're going for a home cinema-in-a-box style of set-up, then investigate Samsung. Maglorfin has a Samsung system, and he likes it.

If you are going to go for separates, then investigate KEF, QUAD, Marantz, Onkyo, Monitor Audio, and Cyrus, if those are available in the USA. All have an individual sound, and will offer pretty good two-channel reproduction.

If you can; listen before you buy. Remember; you possess the two greatest pieces of hi-fi that has ever been created, so use them.

Happy hunting, and happy listening, and don't let JWfan hear that you have bought BOSE, otherwise I'll come round your house, tie you up, and force you to watch all 14 episodes of "Trial Of A Time Lord"! :lol:

My set-up:

Samsung 50" LED-lit DLP TV

Pioneer receiver

Oppo BDP-83 universal player (HDMI-out for all discs)

Pioneer and JVC jukebox changers

JBL E-series speakers

Yamaha 315 subwoofer

HP dm3t-3000 laptop (w/ SSD and backlit keyboard)

For the best-sounding speakers that don't break the bank: look at JBL, Polk, and Paradigm. Best to hear them first, if you can... but reviews might have to do.

As for receivers: go for Yahmaha, Onkyo, Denon, or Pioneer's newest models. When researching, look for units that have features that you'll actually use. No need in paying more for a model that has bells and whistles you won't.

BenQ MP512ST 800 x 600 DLP Short-Throw Projector

PS3

PS3 surround sound bar (debuted late last year.

When my girlfriend goes to bed: Tritton AX Pro Dolby Digital Precision Gaming Headset

I like having a projector, because as as someone who doesn't own a TV, and who cherishes the big screen experience, it makes watching movies an experience, like others have mentioned. And only being able to watch films on a projector means I don't watch TV which - no judgement here against anyone else - is a good thing for me.

Projectors and PS3s are an ideal combination for another reason: you can take any bittorent files downloaded on your computer (TV shows, Bluray rips), put them on a USB stick and transfer them to the PS3 - and get incredible picture quality.

Thinking of upgrading to the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 some time in the next year.

Happy hunting, and happy listening, and don't let JWfan hear that you have bought BOSE, otherwise I'll come round your house, tie you up, and force you to watch all 14 episodes of "Trial Of A Time Lord"! :lol:

Nooooooo!!!!!! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. This is clearly something I shouldn't rush into. I want to treat myself for finally completing my dissertation, but I also want to make sure I buy something I'll still love in five or ten years. Software may change, but good speakers will still sound good 20 years later!

Pixie:

This is what I have

http://www.amazon.com/Mirage-MX-5-1-Channel-Miniature-Theater/dp/B001IX5IZA

I have an additional two additional Mirage MX speakers to complete the rear for 7.1

They are on Amazon for $700. I paid $1000 for them at Crutchfeld last year.

I have had an Infinity system, Bose system, and when I first started building my theater a mis-matched system.

These little buggers sound the best. As I mentioned in my post a few post up, they fire the sound up into the air (they are not front firing speakers) and the sound umbrellas, so precise placement is not necessary. I have a picture of my setup and you can see that the three front speakers are all on the tv stand. But the sound completely fills the room as if they are professionally placed. The 7.1 sound is incredible. Nice deep lows, great highs, great spacing. I cannot say anything negative about these speakers at all, I am very happy with them and don't feel the need to upgrade the speakers for a long time.

The Mrs. has been after me to try and downsize my speakers, especially with us moving.

To satisfy her I would actually need a cloaking device for them.