What is John Williams most "Goldsmithian" theme?

Sandor

Today I was listening to John Williams' score for Heidi, and I find the main theme extremely "Goldsmithian", especially as it's arranged in the Main Title cue.

What John Williams theme do you find most "Goldsmithian"? I know Jerry and John are very different composers, but where do you feel their creative output overlapped?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I've ever heard a Williams theme that sounded "Goldsmithian" to me. As you said, they're very different composers. Each has (or had :() a pretty unique, recognizable musical voice. I haven't heard Heidi, though.

Midway sounds very Williams, so does The Lost World

I guess I'd agree with Eiger Sanction. I might mistake it for one of the thrillers Goldsmith scored in the 70's like Cassandra Crossing

None. They both have very distinctive sounds.

But Williams has sounded a bit like Herrmann on occasion. Like the main theme from WITCHES OF EASTWICK. And THE FURY.

Goldsmithian doesn't necessarily has to mean that he's writing in his style. I picked TLW because it kind of reminds me of Goldsmith's more muscular adventure.

Karol

Yeah I kind of think some people are taking this the wrong way.

I'd say Heartbeeps is a good candidate. There are a few cues from Munich that have a Goldsmith feel to it.

But Williams has sounded a bit like Herrmann on occasion. Like the main theme from WITCHES OF EASTWICK. And THE FURY.

Hasn't every major or minor composer sounded like Herrmann in one score or another at one point in their career? ;)

Ahh, Monsignor, JW's 1982 Razzie nominee for Worst Musical Score. Yes, the main theme sounds like a parody of the Godfather. I still don't know how I feel about that.

I'd say Heartbeeps is a good candidate.

Yes!

yes the main theme of Monsignor is Godfather inspired

but everything else is pure Williams

I thnik I don't mean Monsignor, but Visit to Sicily or something like that?

I think the love theme from The Missouri Breaks sounds like a fairly typical Goldsmith love theme. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head, but it really struck me when I heard it.

None. They both have very distinctive sounds.

THE FURY was even *mixed* with classic Bernard Hermann work in mind, like NORTH BY NORTHWEST.