• None But the Brave
    • Midway
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • Empire of the Sun
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    • Schindler's List
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • Memoirs of a Geisha

S's List (film) is the only film that almost made me cry.

Never seen E.T.?

E.T. is lovely but it never made me cry. Neither did a lot of movies that are supposed to make you cry. Actually, I think I'm always too conscious that what I see in a film is not real.

On that score (no pun intended) I refuse to be manipulated.

What's the point of listening to music, if you don't like to feel emotions it carries? :unsure:

The last thing I would say about SL score is that it is sentimental and manipulative. What struck me about it is how it feels more like a classical piece than a film score. You know, tracked in the film like sometimes they do in a documantary. Instead of typical underscoring of scenes, characters and such. It is a very emotional music, but not in a dramatic sense. Which makes it very raw for me and unlike any other score from Williams.

Karol

What's the point of listening to music, if you don't like to feel emotions it carries? :unsure:

Background music to block out the busy hectic sounds of the world around.

Something interesting to occupy the mind while driving, doing chores, reading, writing, bathing, swimming, walking the dog, etc.

The last thing I would say about SL score is that it is sentimental and manipulative. What struck me about it is how it feels more like a classical piece than a film score. You know, tracked in the film like sometimes they do in a documantary. Instead of typical underscoring of scenes, characters and such. It is a very emotional music, but not in a dramatic sense. Which makes it very raw for me and unlike any other score from Williams.

Karol

Absolutely. Moreover, this music really feels aunthentic. It doesn't fake emotions, like, say, AotC, but you can tell it comes straight form the heart of the composer deeply moved by the story.

Oh, I fully agree. I was actually referring to the film. I didn't like the way that it wanted you to feel for the plight of its characters; that it wanted you to be upset as you see bodies get tipped on to the fire; that it wanted you to share Schindler's "I could have done more" moment. That's why I find the scenes that surround the main characters far more interesting, and thought-provoking; the "why", rather than the "how", or the "what". Let's face it; any bozo can shoot a film focusing on the plight of an oppressed minority (heck, even "Insurrection" wasn't too bad in that regard), but to try to privide an explanation for it happening - to explore a reason - that's much harder. IMHO, The Holocaust should not be a scource of cheap emotional heart-string pulling, which is why I like "Shoah", so much; it's just people talking! I would liked to have seen Spielberg delve much deeper into the subject, but I guess that would have made the film unwatchable, and, as I have posted before, the one thing that Spielberg is not, is cynical.

"SL", is a remarkable film by any standard, and, perhaps only Spielberg could have made it (wasn't Scoresse once attached to the project?). I find that there is an awful lot to admire about "SL", but I don't want to let one of the greatest Human disasters in history be reduced to a tear-jerking melodrama.

Apparently Mrs. S. wasn't too impressed with the whole thing, either. It seems that I am in good company.

Actually, I met Steven's mother a few years ago (who is actually Mrs. Addler, she owns the restauruant called Milky Way in southern California), and she said every time she hears the first few notes of "Theme from Schindler's List" she gets shivers.

Unless you're talking about Kate Capshaw.

Actually, I was refering to Mrs. Emilie Schindler.

Ah, okay. But like Merkel said, it seems like she disliked not because it was poorly made, but because she had other issues with it:

Ms. Schindler had contended, though, that the film overlooked her role in keeping the Jews alive. ''Oskar is the hero -- and what about me?'' she told German ARD television in a 1999 interview. ''I saved many Jews, too.''

Although unlike Merkel, the article suggests (though does not state) that she did recieve some money from the film:

They had no children, and for decades, Ms. Schindler lived alone in Argentina, subsisting on a state pension until the film brought her more attention.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0DE1DD133CF93BA35753C1A9679C8B63&scp=8&sq

I stand corrected, Indy ;) As I said, I could be wrong, my recollections of the whole thing were quite vague

I will defend you once you will be right, don't worry....

I can see a movie in this: "X-JWfanMen United".

Isn't that part of the fun of this site; that people can say what they want about a film, or a score, and know that they won't be attacked on the way home, like some football fans who happen to wear the wrong-coloured scarf are? As long as it doesn't morph into the personal, then there's no harm done. So what if you like SL, and I don't? So what if you call me "idiot", and I call you "Man U supporter" (2-0 :( )? I would never wish to hurt a JWfan member, and I would never expect to be hurt by one; that's what moderators are for. As long as we realise that it's a laugh, then I'm in.

• 12 years later...

Per a discussion over in one of the "vs" threads, I had to go look to see if there had been a previous WW2 JW thread, and of course there had been (and I even added to it). There's been a thread about everything, LOL!

Anyway, are there any more titles to add than the ones that are already in this poll, the question is.

Additions:

INDIANA JONES 1, 3, and 5 (partially). This was already discussed earlier, and dismissed. I think that's correct.

THE BOOK THIEF

SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET

And some TV things:

ALCOA - "Seven Against the Sea"

KRAFT - "The Long, Lost Life of Edward Smalley", "The Action of the Tiger"

CHRYSLER - "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch", "War of Nerves"

CONVOY - "Lady on the Rock" plus one other episode

AMAZING STORIES - "The Mission"