Recommend some ambient and/or electronic scores.

Kevin

I know that most people here of the prejudice of big orchestral scores being best. But there are some good electronic or acoustically ambient scores out there. So if you know of any, recommend them out to us.

Brian Tyler's The Lazarus Project

Mark Isham's Crash

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With me I have to say it's nothing do with whether it is full Symphonic stuff or electric stuff - it's purely down to the music and each medium has it's advantages and disadvantages....I don't care whether I buy a fine wine from Tescos or Harrods - it's the wine that counts.

So - stating the damn obvious - TRON: Legacy. Does that one count?

This kind of music is basically 75% of what I listen to these days - calm, soothing, atmospheric, ambient. With NO upbeat tracks or anything to break the mood. So I created a similar thread over at FSM recently.

I agree with NEXT THREE DAYS. Haggis' films always have this kind of sound, no matter who the composer is - Isham's CRASH and IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH are other examples.

Off the top of my head, I recommend:

"Blade Runner",

"Chariots Of Fire",

"The Bounty",

"L'Apocalypse Des Animaux",

"Antarctica", by Vangelis.

"TRON", by Wendy Carlos.

"Legend",

"Thief",

"The Sorcerer",

"Risky Business", by Tangerine Dream,

"More",

"Obscured By Clouds", by Pink Floyd.

"The Jupiter Menace", by Larry Fast/Synergy.

"Birdy",

"The Last Temptation Of Christ",

"The Long Walk Home", by Peter Gabriel.

"2010", by David Shire.

""Runaway",

"Rent-A-Cop",

"Link", by Jerry Goldsmith.

"The Year Of Living Dangerously",

"Witness",

"The Mosquito Coast",

"Dead Poet's Society", by Maurice Jarre.

"Green Card", by Hans Zimmer.

I hope that that's enough to be going on with?

Would The Social Network count? :o

Yes, it would. Not a bad score that one. The album is a bit long though.

With me I have to say it's nothing do with whether it is full Symphonic stuff or electric stuff - it's purely down to the music and each medium has it's advantages and disadvantages....I don't care whether I buy a fine wine from Tescos or Harrods - it's the wine that counts.

Not really because of the amount of orchestral parts in it, and it's not really that ambient.

Never Cry Wolf by Mark Isham works wonderfully well in the film (it does add a bassoon and some strings (could be samples though) to the electronics).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSOliCMxkeo

And the '80s cult classic, also by Isham:

Wow, how extremely '80s sounding The Hitcher is! I actually can't recommend it at all!

Can't say I'm really a fan of this sort of score. It can work well in the context of a motion picture, but it doesn't usually offer what I need from a standalone musical experience, unless it serves as a relatively brief contrast against music with more...content in it. But by and large, I usually want either music that is somehow memorable and properly stimulating to both mind and heart...or no music at all.

Isham is wonderful, and very underrated/underheard it seems.

Sometimes ambience and atmosphere are what I need, depending on what I'm doing. And it's usually the 'Blade Runner' soundtrack, which is both ambient and electronic.

I am surprised there is no mention of my favourite electronic score: Brad Fiedel's 'The Terminator'.

"The Player", by Thomas Newman,

"Traffic",

"Solaris",

"The Limey", by Cliff Martinez.

"Changing Lanes",by David Arnold.

"Miracle Mile",

"Near Dark", by Tangerine Dream.

"Images",

"The Missouri Breaks", by John Williams.

"1984", by Eurythmics.

"1984", by Domnic Muldowney,

and dare I suggest "Labyrinth", by someone called Trevor Jones. :lol:

This kind of music is basically 75% of what I listen to these days - calm, soothing, atmospheric, ambient. With NO upbeat tracks or anything to break the mood.

Muzak!

Nope. Glorious music that gives you strength and that you're on top of, instead of frustrating, whimsical, mickey-mousey action adventurers in the symphonic style. I hardly listen to those anymore, not even those by Williams.

Richard, there are lot of picks on your list that I wouldn't put in this category. Carlos' TRON and the Tangerine Dreams (except maybe RISKY BUSINESS) are far too gritty. 2010 and the Goldsmiths are way too upbeat in parts. PLAYER is too arty and all-over-place, so is IMAGES. MISSOURI BREAKS is gritty Americana, a whole other genre.

But you're spot-on with the Vangelises and some of the others.

Yeah, the symhony orchestra has proviced nothing but rubbish, I see it now!

I must listen to synth doodlings and whale music....

You should! Good luck. :)

This kind of music is basically 75% of what I listen to these days - calm, soothing, atmospheric, ambient. With NO upbeat tracks or anything to break the mood.

Muzak!

Nope. Glorious music that gives you strength and that you're on top of, instead of frustrating, whimsical, mickey-mousey action adventurers in the symphonic style. I hardly listen to those anymore, not even those by Williams.

Richard, there are lot of picks on your list that I wouldn't put in this category. Carlos' TRON and the Tangerine Dreams (except maybe RISKY BUSINESS) are far too gritty. 2010 and the Goldsmiths are way too upbeat in parts. PLAYER is too arty and all-over-place, so is IMAGES. MISSOURI BREAKS is gritty Americana, a whole other genre.

But you're spot-on with the Vangelises and some of the others.

But there are two categories as suggested by the thread creator: ambient music and electronic. While Carlos' for example can hardly be classed as ambient, it's electronic therefore fits in that category.

But there are two categories as suggested by the thread creator: ambient music and electronic. While Carlos' for example can hardly be classed as ambient, it's electronic therefore fits in that category.

Ah, right you are. I had my own thread at FSM too much in mind. All is game, then. :) (though I still wouldn't put things like MISSOURI BREAKS or IMAGES in either category).

Ah, right you are. I had my own thread at FSM too much in mind. All is game, then. :) (though I still wouldn't put things like MISSOURI BREAKS or IMAGES in either category).

How would classify "Images"?

Oops, I've just remembered another one, the daddy of 'em all: "Forbidden Planet". bowdown

I'd classify IMAGES as an avantgarde, contemporary classical composition.

By the way, as long we're on electronic music in general, here's my Top 10 electronic scores of all time:

http://montages.no/2010/04/topp-10-synth-soundtracks/

Use Google Translate if you want to get the gist of the text.

I'd classify IMAGES as an avantgarde, contemporary classical composition.

By the way, as long we're on electronic music in general, here's my Top 10 electronic scores of all time:

http://montages.no/2010/04/topp-10-synth-soundtracks/

Use Google Translate if you want to get the gist of the text.

Thanks for the list, Thor. You are obviously a connisseur of electronic music, and it's always a pleasure to talk about that sub-group of music, with people.

I stil maintain that "Midnight Express" deserved to win the Oscar in 1979. Whether it deserved to win over "Superman", is, of course, a whole other matter..

"Thief" is brillant, and is one of TD's best works, even if it does sound a ltiile "proto-Exit" at times.

I can only salivate st the thought of a film score by Kraftwerk...

Are you familiar with the work of Larry Fast, with, or aside from, his work with Peter Gabriel?

When music starts becoming muzak, no thanks. I don't want ambient sounds or stuff that puts me to sleep.

But I would recommend Wendy Carlos' 2 discs, Rediscovering Lost Scores Vol. 1 & Vol. 2. Both feature her original versions and demos of The Shinning as well as Tron and a few other short scores.

Not really because of the amount of orchestral parts in it, and it's not really that ambient.

No it isn't, but much of it is electronic - and even a lot of the orchestral stuff serves as a tool to further the electronic side, if you get my meaning....ok - not phrasing it very well - how about this: It is an electronic score, but one that would suffer incredibly without the presence of the orchestra.

When music starts becoming muzak, no thanks. I don't want ambient sounds or stuff that puts me to sleep.

But I would recommend Wendy Carlos' 2 discs, Rediscovering Lost Scores Vol. 1 & Vol. 2. Both feature her original versions and demos of The Shinning as well as Tron and a few other short scores.

I'm with you there, Mark. Walter/Wendy Carlos doesn't get enough love in music circles. "TRON" is one of the best scores of the 80s, and both "The Shining", and "A Clockwork Orange" went almost un-noticed.

"Switched-On Bach" is good, as is "The Well-Tempered Synthesiser". Man, I wish that I'd seen her concert with Larry fast at The Beacon, a few years ago.

When music starts becoming muzak, no thanks.

If they would play the music of Artemyev's Solyaris in elevators, nobody would be taking them.

"TRON" is one of the best scores of the 80s

Isn't that a 50/50 blend of orchestra and synths?

Can't say I'm really a fan of this sort of score. It can work well in the context of a motion picture, but it doesn't usually offer what I need from a standalone musical experience, unless it serves as a relatively brief contrast against music with more...content in it. But by and large, I usually want either music that is somehow memorable and properly stimulating to both mind and heart...or no music at all.

+1

Thanks for the list, Thor. You are obviously a connisseur of electronic music, and it's always a pleasure to talk about that sub-group of music, with people.

I stil maintain that "Midnight Express" deserved to win the Oscar in 1979. Whether it deserved to win over "Superman", is, of course, a whole other matter..

"Thief" is brillant, and is one of TD's best works, even if it does sound a ltiile "proto-Exit" at times.

Are you familiar with the work of Larry Fast, with, or aside from, his work with Peter Gabriel?

Not outside the Gabriel work, no. I'd like to know more, though.

You're right that I'm an electronic music junkie, and not only film scores. In fact, that's how I became interested in soundtracks in the first place - through instrumental electronic music by the likes of Jarre, Vangelis, TD, Kraftwerk and other pioneers. I'm also very much into harder, more contemporary stuff - especially in the house category and goa/psytrance (Oakenfold, Juno Reactor, Infected Mushroom, Sphongle, Daft Punk, Underworld...you name it).

So much great stuff out there!

Over the last two years or so, I've very much returned to my synth roots, but now for calmer, soothing, ambient textures like CRASH, IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH, SOLARIS, MOON, BREAKING & ENTERING, THE SAINT OF FORT WASHINGTON, THE LOVELY BONES, THE NEXT THREE DAYS and so on.

When music starts becoming muzak, no thanks.

If they would play the music of Artemyev's Solyaris in elevators, nobody would be taking them.

"TRON" is one of the best scores of the 80s

Isn't that a 50/50 blend of orchestra and synths?

Pretty much, yes, although in the CD booklet notes, Carlos says that - and I'm paraphrasing, here - it's 100% of both. One way of looking at it, I s'ppose.

As for the Artemyev score; I like it a lot; he is after all the John williams (oh, all right, then, the Hans Zimmer) of Russian film scores.

Not outside the Gabriel work, no. I'd like to know more, though.

You're right that I'm an electronic music junkie, and not only film scores. In fact, that's how I became interested in soundtracks in the first place - through instrumental electronic music by the likes of Jarre, Vangelis, TD, Kraftwerk and other pioneers. I'm also very much into harder, more contemporary stuff - especially in the house category and goa/psytrance (Oakenfold, Juno Reactor, Infected Mushroom, Sphongle, Daft Punk, Underworld...you name it).

So much great stuff out there!

Over the last two years or so, I've very much returned to my synth roots, but now for calmer, soothing, ambient textures like CRASH, IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH, SOLARIS, MOON, BREAKING & ENTERING, THE SAINT OF FORT WASHINGTON, THE LOVELY BONES, THE NEXT THREE DAYS and so on.

A very nice collection of "ambient" scores, to be going on with, Thor. I totally forgot "TSOFW"! An early JNH, and one of his very best! Is it stretching a point to include "Grand Canyon" in your list? Apart from the Copeland-esque end title, it's quite ambient, and modern. I'd like to add "Dune" to the list, but I suspect it's too orchestral.

You mention Krautrock. Are you into Neu, Can, Holger Czukay, and the like? There's a Dutch band called "Alquin", that is good.

At the moment, and in an ambient vane, I'm into "Young Country", "Susannah And Magical Orchestra", "Hot Chip" "Bonobos", "Portico Quartet", and "Fourtet".

Regarding Mr. Fast; all his works are available through his web site. You may, or may not like him, but it is easy to trace the history of electronic music through his CDs. He starts out with a Moog, a Mellotron, and an Oberheim. Later, he adds stuff like Juno, Jupiter, and Arp, then goes on to Synclavier, and Prophet 5, winding up with Akai, and full MIDI. It's worth a listen, at least.

A very nice collection of "ambient" scores, to be going on with, Thor. I totally forgot "TSOFW"! An early JNH, and one of his very best! Is it stretching a point to include "Grand Canyon" in your list? Apart from the Copeland-esque end title, it's quite ambient, and modern. I'd like to add "Dune" to the list, but I suspect it's too orchestral.

You mention Krautrock. Are you into Neu, Can, Holger Czukay, and the like? There's a Dutch band called "Alquin", that is good.

At the moment, and in an ambient vane, I'm into "Young Country", "Susannah And Magical Orchestra", "Hot Chip" "Bonobos", "Portico Quartet", and "Fourtet".

Regarding Mr. Fast; all his works are available through his web site. You may, or may not like him, but it is easy to trace the history of electronic music through his CDs. He starts out with a Moog, a Mellotron, and an Oberheim. Later, he adds stuff like Juno, Jupiter, and Arp, then goes on to Synclavier, and Prophet 5, winding up with Akai, and full MIDI. It's worth a listen, at least.

Thanks for the recommendations!

No, I think it's fair to include GRAND CANYON, if you disregard the end titles and the "bluesy" riffs here and there. But the opening, ethereal chords are some of the most beautiful things he's ever written. JNH taps into that sound once in a while, like the glorious "Swimming" cue from WATERWORLD.

I think it's fair to include DUNE too, even though it is largely orchestral. It has that dark, foreboding, slow, but at the same time extremely beautiful sound going on.

Brian Eno is one I definitely like. As I said, THE LOVELY BONES hardly leaves my iTunes player these days. His "film music" compilations are pretty good too (music composed for fictional films).

A great score in the same vein is Michael Land's THE DIG. Fantastic album that has the scope and harmonic language of Wagner, but in a very restrained, moody, otherwordly way. One of my favourites.

Thats what I like about electronic scores-no traditional orchestration to worry about, just you and your keyboards.

I guess this is the only score that I can think of in the electronic arena.

Vangelis "warmed" the picture by including acoustic instrumentation which represents the human side of all this.Vangelis is smart..

To me, he's the electronic John Williams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJrOVLEUBgw

Damn! Now I wanna go work on some "synthy" BLADE RUNNER type stuff!

Brian Reitzell and Alex Heffes' score for Red Riding Hood is a nice little surprise, ambient score-wise. Paired with the visuals, the music is just mesmerizing and beautiful. The direction and acting is terrible, but in terms of style - the movie is a winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUeSz4ms6tA

I also recommend David Julyan's The Prestige. It plays better after you see the film, though.

Both Elfman and Armstrong's Hulk scores have ambient and synthy portions.

Never really heard much in Elfman's HULK, I'm afraid, except some bits for colourization here and there. It's mostly a very orchestral score (with some of the world music leftover bits inspired by Danna's rejected score). Armstrong's score I'm not that familiar with.