The Virginian

fommes

According to the TV Works list, Johnny wrote the theme for the last season. Can anyone elaborate? I'm only familiar with the Percy Faith theme.

PS: while I'm at it - can anyone enlighten me about the Kraft Mystery Theater vs Kraft Suspense Theatre? Which one (if not both) did Williams write a theme for? Never heard this one either.

According to the TV Works list, Johnny wrote the theme for the last season. Can anyone elaborate? I'm only familiar with the Percy Faith theme.

PS: while I'm at it - can anyone enlighten me about the Kraft Mystery Theater vs Kraft Suspense Theatre? Which one (if not both) did Williams write a theme for? Never heard this one either.

Don't know about THE VIRGINIAN. Williams wrote the theme for KRAFT SUSPENSE, and I also know that he provided music for the other Kraft-sponsored series. Whether it was the theme or just incidental music, I'm not that sure about, though.

Regarding "The Virginian", I too only know the Faith theme, that dates from the earlier seasons. The TV works lists the theme as being available on a bootleg release, but I really don't remember any with that one. Anyway, I did check IMDB, and Williams name does not shows up on the composers list.

As for the Kraft shows, I do know Williams wrote two main themes for the Suspense Theatre, one for each season. Not sure about the others, need to check my info on those.

According to IMDB, the Kraft Suspense Theatre was re-titled in

syndication as "Crisis" and "Suspense Theatre". In addition to

the themes mentioned by Miguel above, he scored 12 episodes.

On a related topic, I'm discovering that Williams scored more

episodes of Wagon Train than the two listed on IMDB.

Wow!! Thanks for the link. Compiling this information must have taken a great deal of work!!

This entry is especially interesting:

117. "That Saunders Woman" -- (no composer credited; stock music from the series includes: Shuken & Hayes, Hans J. Salter, John Williams' "Golden West" played on piano at saloon)

Williams wrote the song "Golden West" for the Wagon Train episode titled "The Jenny Tannen Story", which aired on June 24, 1959.

Wow!! Thanks for the link. Compiling this information must have taken a great deal of work!!

This entry is especially interesting:

117. "That Saunders Woman" -- (no composer credited; stock music from the series includes: Shuken & Hayes, Hans J. Salter, John Williams' "Golden West" played on piano at saloon)

Williams wrote the song "Golden West" for the Wagon Train episode titled "The Jenny Tannen Story", which aired on June 24, 1959.

Yes, isn't is also available on the THEMES TO REMEMBER compilation? Or was that another Williams track from WAGON TRAIN ("Tomorrow" was also a track)....I can't be bothered to double-check my LP-to-CD?

Anyways, cool that a track from a different western series ends up in THE VIRGINIAN. But we're no closer to finding out if Williams wrote an alternative theme in the later season or, in fact, any material at all for this series.

• 5 years later...

No new information about this series? On this LP, we have some John Williams compositions, altought the music is directed by Stanley Wilson, and not necessarily for The Virginian (read "O Outros temas").

p_de12.jpg

The Virginian E Outros Temas Da TV Americana (1969, Decca [Brazil], DE 12)

Teakwood Nocturne (Caesar Giovannini); 87th Precinct (Morton Stevens); Premiere {from Premiere Theatre} (John Williams); Wide Country Theme (John Williams); Somewhere A Bird Is Singing (Mario Brengola & Dick Manning); All In My Mind (Lyn Murray & Jerry Gladstone); The Virginian (Percy Faith); Monaco {from Look At Monaco} (Percy Faith); Lydia (Benny Carter); Markham Theme (Stanley Wilson); Tomorrow (John Williams & Frederick Herbert); Trailmaster Theme (Stanley Wilson). Music conducted by Stanley Wilson.

Tomorrow is taken from "Wagon Train". What about "Wide Country Theme"?

Discography as a composer | Soundtracks conducted by others: http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/others.htm

"Tomorrow" is from WAGON TRAIN, yes. It was reused in other episodes of the show, and even other TV shows, like THE VIRGINIAN. It also appears on the VIRGINIAN soundtrack album at the time. Williams did not write any original music for THE VIRGINIAN.

"Premiere" is obviously from ALCOA PREMIERE, and "Wide Country" is from the shortlived series of the same name, although it's basically just the theme from the ALCOA episode "Second Chance" which they used as their spin-off episode.

The album you speak of here was also reissued as THEMES TO REMEMBER:

5383899873_b7be5f5e4b_b.jpg

Thanks, I will update my website this week-end.

So no music of The Virginian on this, I will remove the entry from the Compositions page.