Rest in peace Michael Gough, 94

Wojo

Michael Gough (23 November 1916 – 17 March 2011) was a British character actor who appeared in over 100 films. He is perhaps best known to international audiences by his recurring role as Alfred Pennyworth in all four movies of the Burton/Schumacher Batman franchise, beginning with Batman (1989).

He additionally guest-starred on Doctor Who, most notably as the villain in the serial The Celestial Toymaker and also as Councillor Hedin in Arc of Infinity. He also played the automation-obsessed, wheelchair-using Dr. Armstrong in "The Cybernauts", one of the most famous episodes of The Avengers, in 1985's Out of Africa as Lord Delamere, and frequently appeared in 1960s British horror films.

Gough is one of only two actors to appear in the four Batman films (the other actor was Pat Hingle as Commissioner Gordon). He worked for Burton again in 1999's Sleepy Hollow and 2005's Corpse Bride. He also briefly reprised his Alfred role in six 2001 television commercials for the OnStar automobile tracking system, informing Batman of the system's installation in the Batmobile. In 2010, he came out of retirement once again to appear in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

His other fanboy-friendly credits include playing Leo Tolstoy in an episode of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, and for the voice of Deckard Cain in Blizzard's games Diablo and Diablo II.

Sorry for the Wikipedia cut and paste.

Rest in peace, Alfred.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bless him - a classic Brit actor gone....RIP indeed, and I still forgive you for that King Kong rip-off!

Incidentally - his role as Alfred did not stop with the movies - he also played the role twice on the Radio - once in the play "Batman: The Lazarus Syndrome" and once in the serial "Batman: Knightfall". Just FYI.

Bless him - a classic Brit actor gone....RIP indeed, and I still forgive you for that King Kong rip-off!

Incidentally - his role as Alfred did not stop with the movies - he also played the role twice on the Radio - once in the play "Batman: The Lazarus Syndrome" and once in the serial "Batman: Knightfall". Just FYI.

God bless R.I.P

He is great in Horror of Dracula with Christopher Lee. (Or just plain Dracula in the UK). Always seemed like a nice chap. Rest in Peace.

I'm familiar with him from his countless appearances in some of the old British films up through Batman.

Konga, Dracula (1958), Trog and countless other films.

RIP.

He was also the irate landlord that got killed by the Nazi, in "The Boys From Brazil", and he was in a very good early 1970s BBC science fiction show called "Moonbase 3".

RIP, Mr. Gough, my favourite Alfred. Although we never got to see it, I'm sure that "The Nightmare Fair" would have rocked. :(

For a brief second there, I thought the thread title read "Rest in peace Michael Giacchino." :eek:

We'd never be that lucky.

RIP Michael Gough. Another British legend gone.

:music: OUT OF AFRICA - John Barry