Jane Eyre Expanded Score

Jarbas

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 33 minute OST is the only legal release of Jane Eyre music.

Actually, it was reissued in 1999. So there are two legal releases of Jane Eyre.

I knew about the expanded score this week... someone has more information? See the link: Jane Eyre - 75th Birthday Expanded

Is it legal??

This CD has no more music than the Silva Screen release. The additional music is taken from the re-recordings by Gerhardt and Williams himself. Also, the period music is not from the actual film. A couple of the tracks come in fact from Williams and the Pops "Pops Britannia" album.

yeah I figured that boot was padded with concert performances from Pops Brittania and not unreleased music

Is there unreleased music in this score?

Gerhardt recorded music from Jane Eyre!?

Yep, he recorded the "To Thornfield" scherzo--he even tacked it at a very fast tempo. You can find it on the Hollywood Memories album (a.k.a. The Prince and the Pauper and other classic film scores). It also includes a selection from The Reivers.

Is there unreleased music in this score?

Yes! Here's what I wrote in an old thread:

[The film recording] has several differences compared to the OST album re-recording. In fact, several pieces were expanded in a concert-like fashion as JW did many times:

. "To Thornfield" doesn't appear anywhere in the film, so I guess Williams composed it just for the album (or maybe it was written for a deleted scene).

. "Restoration" is a concert arrangement of the theme for the character of St. John Rivers.

. "Trio - The Meeting" is another concert arrangement which has no relation with any cue heard on the actual film recording.

. "String Quartet Festivity at Thornfield" doesn't appear in the film, but there's another string quartet piece playing. I don't know if it's from classical repertoire or if it's composed by Williams (I guess the former).

As for the score as heard in the film, there are some lovely cues that remain unreleased: the girls coming out of Lowood and going to the church, the actual first meeting between Jane and Rochester, the scene where Rochester's actual wife tries to kill Jane while she's sleeping and the cues for the scenes where Jane is at the Moors and is courted by St. John Rivers. While the OST album is an excellent and beautiful listening experience, I'd love to see the original film recording released. However, I suspect this is impossible, since it seems the original tracks are apparently forever lost or destroyed.

The stunning concert suite that Williams recorded on the Pops Britannia album was actually created from scratch. Apparently, all the printed scores were lost or destroyed, so Williams had to re-write the pieces taking it down while listening to the OST record! Strangely, he renamed the St. John Rivers' theme (aka "Restoration") as "At Lowood", while "To Thornfield" was furtherly expanded in a more rounded and developed symphonic scherzo. The most radical departure from the original score is that he eliminated completely the piano part. In the film, it's quite prominent (and in a couple of scenes, Jane actually performs the main theme onscreen on piano), while in the concert suite Williams preferred to emphasize woodwinds.

Apparently the Gerhardt Jane Eyre track can be downloaded as part of the Reader Digest album "Hollywood's Forgotten Gems".

I knew about the expanded score this week... someone has more information? See the link: Jane Eyre - 75th Birthday Expanded

Is it legal??

This CD has no more music than the Silva Screen release. The additional music is taken from the re-recordings by Gerhardt and Williams himself. Also, the period music is not from the actual film. A couple of the tracks come in fact from Williams and the Pops "Pops Britannia" album.

Thanks for that, Miguel. I've never seen that particular boot, but I do have the extra tracks. Do you have a complete track listing for "Pops Britannia"?

Yep, he recorded the "To Thornfield" scherzo--he even tacked it at a very fast tempo. You can find it on the Hollywood Memories album (a.k.a. The Prince and the Pauper and other classic film scores). It also includes a selection from The Reivers.

Thanks. Never heard of that.

Thanks. Never heard of that.

It's one of the lesser-known Gerhardt/NPO albums, but it's as beautiful as any other they did. It has a very broad and diverse selection, including pieces by Delerue, North, Rozsa, Michael J.Lewis and a wonderful suite from William Walton's Henry V:

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog/soundtrackdetail.php?movieid=51920