How well do you know film scores?

indy4

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was an absolute ball. I was fairly impressed with myself at 46, though (like so many others here) I missed one I was whistling along with. I just couldn't put it together as the seconds ticked down. 2 seconds after time ran out--literally--it finally hit me: Rain Man.

You can pause the stream. It's just one giant music suite. If I found a score on the tip of my tongue, I'd pause it so the other music wouldn't distract. Also, you could enter any title despite what music was playing and it'd still enter it in the list. If Star Wars started off and you typed American Beauty it'd fill in the appropriate space.

Also I just KNEW that the one after "Lemony Snicket" was another David Newman score, but "Finding Nemo" wasn't correct (although "American Beauty" sounds very similar).

That would be Thomas Newman.

That was an absolute ball. I was fairly impressed with myself at 46, though (like so many others here) I missed one I was whistling along with. I just couldn't put it together as the seconds ticked down. 2 seconds after time ran out--literally--it finally hit me: Rain Man.

You can pause the stream. It's just one giant music suite. If I found a score on the tip of my tongue, I'd pause it so the other music wouldn't distract. Also, you could enter any title despite what music was playing and it'd still enter it in the list. If Star Wars started off and you typed American Beauty it'd fill in the appropriate space.

Oh, I got all that. I paused through the whole thing (it's timed for two full run-throughs, but I only got one full one and about 2 minutes for some attempted review, because I was pausing through the whole thing). I listened to the Rain Man excerpt over and over at the end, just knowing I knew it.

The best part of that whole setup was the way you could enter any movie any time and it would show up. A couple of them came to me down the road a bit, and all I had to do was type them in. Nice.

- Uni

I don't think the creator knew them all too well.

"The Truman Show" cues is stock music used from Glass' score to another film, "Powaqqatsi". Nothing was suggested guesses had to be "popular" ones.

The Austin Powers one is a non score piece by Quincy Jones, not originally composed for the film -- not even from a score, or film soundtrack originally, though used on some.

And, somebody correct me if wrong, isn't that cue from "Starship Troopers" not even used in the film? How can that be fair but to fans who have a copy of the bootleg?

There was another one with a similar complaint, but I can't recall it.

I also thought it was a little strange to include West Side Story since the music wasn't written for film.

Only got 50/80.

There were a couple of the ones I missed that I really knew - BILL & TED, BLUE VELVET, ARACHNOPHOBIA, CHINATOWN. But I got brain freeze. The other missed ones were things I wasn't really that familiar with in the first place.

didn't you write a thesis on film music?

I did. Gotta blame it on the lack of soundtrack purchases over the last 6-7 years.

And, somebody correct me if wrong, isn't that cue from "Starship Troopers" not even used in the film? How can that be fair but to fans who have a copy of the bootleg?

There was another one with a similar complaint, but I can't recall it.

Hook - he used "prologue", which is music from the teaser trailer that wasn't in the film

45/80.

Not bad, considering I really stopped buying score CDs from about the late nineties on. I missed all the Zimmer cues (of course). However, I am really mad for not being able to connect with Big Trouble in Little China, one of my favourite John Carpenter scores. I played it several times, but just got brain lock. I would have had Doctor Zhivago by Maurice Jarre, but my brain just seized up after the next theme played. Got all of the Goldsmith and Williams (of course).

BKL

• 1 year later...

Better late than never, HouseholdCat.

I did the quiz again and managed 60/80 this time. Interestingly, I missed most of the ones I missed the first time around. I guess I should have done better since I already did it once! :)

I just did it for the first time and got 38/80.

Really miffed I missed Vertigo, Predator, Basic Instinct, National Treasure, and Poltergeist. I've seen those enough that I should have gotten those easily.

Went ahead and did the second quiz and got 40/80 though I went through twice to get this one.

Notable blunders include Galaxy Quest, Independence Day, Con-Air, and Scream. Have seen these so many times there's really no excuse.