Happy Birthday to Elmer Bernstein

airmanjerm

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Big fan of his scores to Stripes, Airplane!, and The Great Escape, as well as Ghostbusters and Slipstream.

What other scores by him are most important for me to check out next?

The Ten Commandments, Man With the Golden Arm, Heavy Metal, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, Birdman of Alcatraz, the list could go on.

One of my absolute favorite composers, happy birthday!

Big fan of his scores to The Great Escape and Stripes, and to a lesser extent Ghostbusters and Slipstream.

What other scores by him are most important for me to check out next?

Maybe not among his 'most important' scores, but The Age Of Innocence is gorgeous.

I'd recommend:

The Magnificent Seven, Airplane!, The World Of Henry Orient, The Buccaneer, Marie Ward, The Hallelujah Trail, Hawaii (OOP), Gangs Of New York / The Journey Of Natty Gann / The Scarlet Letter Box Set and The Commancheros.

Oh yes, I have Airplane! as well, I forgot. Love that one too!

The rejected Varese box set is that good, eh?

Agree with Joey... "To Kill a Mockingbird" is easily one of my all-time favorite scores. It doesn't have the giant brass and fluttering woodwinds of an Indiana Jones score, but that would be terribly out of place in that film. The original recording is nice but a little grainy sometimes; Bernstein himself conducted a re-recording with the Scottish National Orchestra later. MUCH better sound quality, although I know some folks prefer the best available recording of the actual film score, no matter the quality. Either way, it is heart-wrenchingly "simple," which makes it so nice.

Agree with Joey... "To Kill a Mockingbird" is easily one of my all-time favorite scores. It doesn't have the giant brass and fluttering woodwinds of an Indiana Jones score, but that would be terribly out of place in that film. The original recording is nice but a little grainy sometimes; Bernstein himself conducted a re-recording with the Scottish National Orchestra later. MUCH better sound quality, although I know some folks prefer the best available recording of the actual film score, no matter the quality. Either way, it is heart-wrenchingly "simple," which makes it so nice.

Agree too. One of my all-time favourites, absolutely gorgeous, lovely, moving score!

FYI, JW played the piano on the original recording of To Kill a Mockingbird.

No one mentioned Zulu Dawn yet; a superior sequel adventure score to John Barry's overpraised original.

How appropriate that my copy of Slipstream just arrived today.

Love Elmer Bernstein. Hey, no mention of Heavy Metal! Another great score.