Official JWFan mock ups and fan-made recordings thread!

Jay

Thought I'd give a new synth calliope sound a try with this one. It sounds really close to the one used in the miniseries. The piece itself was a bit of a rush job but the intent was to demo the calliope.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 4:32 PM, Trent B said:

Would anyone be willing to make top of the line mock ups for the remaining unreleased material from Revenge Of The Sith? Obviously non can be made for "Padmé's Visit" since the sheet music isn't available for that one.

I would definitely do it if only I could read sheet music well. If I at least had MIDI versions of the unreleased music I'd do all I could to make it sound more 'realistic'.

That's a pretty big ask, you know.  There was a time when I would have tried to do it but it's a very large undertaking, especially if you want it to be "top of the line."  I'm talking about many months of work.

• 2 months later...

A few months ago I made a mockup of Flight to Neverland (see here). 

Given that I now have the notes at my disposal to experiment with I thought it would be fun to remove the melody and see what we get.

So here is the "backing track" version of Flight to Neverland, so that you can hum along, whistle along, play along with your favourite instrument, or whatever...

http://picosong.com/wyVgr/

And here is the melody just by itself (i.e. the reverse of the backing track operation):

http://picosong.com/wyVmn/

What I wouldn't do to hear Setting the Traps from home alone without the drum machine overlay. Too bad the sheets are'nt out there.

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Any tips on how to push an instrument further back into the environment, making it sound like it's placed at the back of the orchestra?

I haven't tried it in an orchestral situation, but one thing that springs immediately to mind is experimenting with a transient shaper. The transient is how fast a sound takes to reach its peak volume-- a piano has a very quick transient for example (this could also be  likened to the Attack or A of an ADSR envelope). As the name implies, a transient shaper manipulates this element, even without altering the actual decibel level of a given sound. Generally speaking, the quicker the transient, the more "forward" it is in a mix, and of course you can imagine the opposite. 

So if I had a tambourine playing, and I wanted it to have less presence, without adjusting the volume of the track, I could use a transient shaper to reduce its transient and create a more "distant"  sound. 

As mentioned, I haven't tried it with a fully orchestral pallette! Reverb can also play a big role: generally less reverb=more upfront, more reverb=more distant. Here's a track I wrote last year to demonstrate:

https://soundcloud.com/mcrengech/murder-in-green-meadows-entracte

I was just learning production when writing thisn so there's a lot of boos boos in terms of aural presence. Some things are more in focus when I think they would be better more "off camera",  and vice versa. If I were to redo this track, I would probably put reverb on the piano to make it less in your face, and reduce reverb on instruments like the bass to make it "punch through" more, as an example. I hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Not 100% sold on the mix (I separated strings, brass, winds and each percussion channel when I rendered these), but these pieces are something I've wanted the original recordings of for a really long time. I think this is the closest I'll ever get without sheet music.

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:07 AM, Loert said:

A few months ago I made a mockup of Flight to Neverland (see here). 

Given that I now have the notes at my disposal to experiment with I thought it would be fun to remove the melody and see what we get.

So here is the "backing track" version of Flight to Neverland, so that you can hum along, whistle along, play along with your favourite instrument, or whatever...

http://picosong.com/wyVgr/

And here is the melody just by itself (i.e. the reverse of the backing track operation):

http://picosong.com/wyVmn/

These are really fascinating to listen to!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/5/2016 at 12:05 PM, Loert said:

Thought it would be fun to mock up the tinkly percussion bit (from 2:58) from the "Map Room" track in Raiders. Though unfortunately I don't have a cimbalon VST. :(

Here are three versions:

Percussion + High Strings:

Percussion only:

Percussion, no triangle:

All played in manually of course...you can sort of tell, right? :sarcasm:

EDIT: OK, I've actually found time to do another one: the first 5 bars of Journey to the Island.

Here's the full mockup:

Now with no swirling background (pretty hard to tell the difference really, at least in this case):

Now with no trumpet :devil::

And finally, with EPICTM choir added (because why the fahq not):

Any Chance you could re-up these, or update the links? 

1 hour ago, russds said:

Any Chance you could re-up these, or update the links? 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8hxpe6gthh9lkda/Maproom.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2oix3ba87jiymn2/jurassicpark.zip?dl=0

Dropbox won't allow me to do direct mp3 links anymore for some reason.

Hi everyone, I'd like to ask your advice about a certain MIDI problem.

Yesterday I found a complete transcription of Jedi Steps and Finale, made with/by VSL (I have no idea whether this is software, samples, or both). The file also came with a lot of extra 'tutorial' files that apparently give VSL instructions how to play the music. Now, I'd love to study this score, but for some reason, the MIDI file is full of key switches, possibly the worst invention ever made. My question is, is there any magic app or way that removes these wretched random notes? I have an app that can delete certain notes, but as certain notes are sometimes score and sometimes key switches, this is quite impossible. I'm trying to do this manually now, but had to re-start twice already after making a mistake.

Can anyone help?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Not sure who all here has the sheet music for Spider-Man 3 but would anyone be willing to do really good mockups for the following cues, pretty please?

1m4 Peter and Harry After The Play

1m7 Daughter Gives Flynt Locket

2m17 Gwen Watches Spidey Leave (Elfman)

3m22 MJ Gets Fired <---Not sure which one from the partial sessions we have of that.

3m19 Harry Remembers Daddy

3m19 Harry Remembers Daddy (revised part 1)

3m22 MJ Gets Fired <--- Not sure which one(s) is with the partial sessions.

6m52 Black Spidey / Church <---I know one of those we have but not sure which one and would be interesting to hear the alternate.

6m52a Peter In Shower

6m61 Additional Choir Part

I would greatly appreciate it if someone in this thread can make really good mockups for these cues.  That's practically all we need to make the score complete.

On 10.3.2017 at 8:10 PM, Loert said:

The past few weeks I've been working on a transcription of Williams' "Hello" as performed on the "The John Towner Touch" album. Here's my attempt at performing it:

It's not as 'slick' as Williams' playing obviously... :) Nevetheless, I hope you enjoy listening! 

Fantastic! Did you made a sheet score for it?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Loert said:

A small mockup of one of my favourite JW pieces (now you know why I have the signature that I do now!).

The brass had a tendency to misbehave on this one...I hope I've done a good enough job in taming them! :)

Very good.  Some nitpicks...the spicatto strings at around 0:40 are a little too machine-gunny.  Does your sample not have round robin?  Otherwise consider adding some very minor randomness to that section like changing the dynamics a bit (so a different sample is triggered) or quantizing it with some minor randomness to avoid the artificial repetition feel.  This is the only spot I noticed it.  The phrasing (use of legato) is really good on the melody line and I think your balance is excellent.  The wind and tuned percussion "sparkle" really blends in realistically as does the fortissimo horn phrase repeat at 1:14.  I assume this is a mix of a bunch of different libraries so you probably had to work on that balance...something I am struggling with at the moment.  I would like to hear more use of mod wheel in the tuba such as up to 0:26.  In the OST, there is a bit of crescendo in there.   The use of panning and occupying a 3D stage is advanced.  Awesome job! 

On ‎4‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 8:40 PM, Loert said:

A small mockup of one of my favourite JW pieces (now you know why I have the signature that I do now!).

The brass had a tendency to misbehave on this one...I hope I've done a good enough job in taming them! :)

Absolutely amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

For the XWVM project I have continued turning the MIDI soundtrack from the 1993 space-sim "Star Wars: X-Wing" into digital music files. While the soundtrack itself was composed by Michael Land, Clint Bajakian and Peter McConnell, they combine new themes with John Williams' classic themes. Here's a selection of some pretty much finished tracks:

I'd be especially interested in feedback on the mixing and EQing. I'm quite a rookie when it comes to audio mixing, and I honestly can't tell, if these sound good (especially after going through these over and over again).

• 1 month later...

A little mockup of an unreleased cue from Angela's Ashes, I "performed" the Piano part, the Dynamics are kind of messed up, but I tried to be as even as possible (I am no virtuoso!)

http://picosong.com/wfKaU

• 1 month later...

Decided to have a go at covering Akira Ifukube's 'Godzilla Makes Landfall' music. Based on "Godzilla Vs. Rodan" from Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla II.

• 2 weeks later...

Slight tweaks to the previous piece of mine, plus an 'insert' has been added, a quotation of Shiro Sagisu's Shin Godzilla cue "Taba Strategy" I feel would have worked as Shin Godzilla's theme.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I was searching for mockups and I found this really interesting thread,

so I thought I'd share this one I recently made.
It's my first time making a mockup, so it's not 100% accurate, I'm afraid.
But I really loved the Family Portrait excerpt from the Children Suite in HP1,

so I tried to recreate it and merge it with Harry's Wondrous World. Enjoy!

Went back to the tombs after the release of the Tomb Raider Suite. I adore most of the tracks in that, but I feel that Skidoo wasn't as good as the original, as the guitar was played at the wrong pitch and the piece was lacking some of the aggressiveness of the strings that the original had, so I decided to try my own take on it.

On 9. September 2018 at 11:37 PM, Gistech said:

Decided to have a go at adapting Akira Ifukube's 'Godzilla Makes Landfall' music. Based on "Godzilla Vs. Rodan" from Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla II.

Needs some sort of Allegro or March interlude.

9 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Needs some sort of Allegro or March interlude.

The original piece lacked an allegro or march as well. It's meant to be played slowly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:33 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

I would definitely do it if only I could read sheet music well. If I at least had MIDI versions of the unreleased music I'd do all I could to make it sound more 'realistic'.

"Sheet Music"? Really?

Whatever happened to "Big Ears?"

19 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

But how do you remake unrecorded music by ear? That doesn't make sense. That's the material I was referring to.

It's EASY! kids these days THINK it is IMPOSSIBLE! well, I have NEWS for them, it's NOT! ;)

• 1 month later...

Here is my mockup of 7m2 Insert #2 from The Last Crusade:

https://picosong.com/wSCtN

It's just a quick "engrave" and export I did, no real mixing.

Going by what little I know about sheet music and music theory, the insert seems to be intended to replace a section of Room in Flames (called Alarm! on the Concord) around 1:46-1:52.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree it's not as clear, but my "well-defined" sample is a bit too machine-gun for my liking, so I have to combine it with a more generic tremolo patch which entirely lacks definition.