Official JWFan mock ups and fan-made recordings thread!

Jay

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

:o

Also, you covered Blade Runner Blues on a CS80. You are welcome on this forum.

Thanks, that was actually done with Deckard's Dream (self-built).

:thumbup:

Or it could also be that Williams wasn't told about Rey's lineage at first and wrote this with Vader's theme all over it. JJ did a facepalm and had to tell him the full story.

In any case, this is a piece of unknown Williams' music that very few people have heard before. Not sure if it was even recorded.

On 6/23/2020 at 11:44 PM, Pando said:

A completely different, earlier version of Rey's Theme :)

Thanks Pando! What samples are you using for playback?

On 6/24/2020 at 6:44 AM, Pando said:

A completely different, earlier version of Rey's Theme :)

For a major Star Wars theme, this sounds bad. Like a cue from Tintin. 

But that's the point, we don't know it's a "major Star Wars theme".  It's a cue that scored a scene in the movie.  We can't assume he would have taken the material here and used it as Rey's theme in subsequent scenes.

On 6/24/2020 at 7:09 AM, Pando said:

Thanks, that was actually done with Deckard's Dream (self-built).

Did you use the Roland VP-03 for the strings? 

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Did you use the Roland VP-03 for the strings? 

No, just the Xils V+ VST (default Simple Strings patch), which is a pretty good Roland VP-330 emulation.

The Blues was recorded live with Kurzweil Midiboard (with polyphonic aftertouch) as I played it impromptu for my friend shortly after I got my Deckard's built and running. I think I was among the first 3 to finish building it successfully back in December 2017.

On 6/26/2020 at 12:50 AM, Jay said:

But that's the point, we don't know it's a "major Star Wars theme".  It's a cue that scored a scene in the movie.  We can't assume he would have taken the material here and used it as Rey's theme in subsequent scenes.

The post specifically said "earlier version of Reys theme". 

5 hours ago, gkgyver said:

The post specifically said "earlier version of Reys theme". 

The poster made an assumption. He (most likely) didn't work on the production,. He's not John Williams, so he doesn't really know.

On 6/25/2020 at 1:32 PM, MikeH said:

Thanks Pando! What samples are you using for playback?

Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra (the old one, not the new BBC). It's got a wonderfully natural tone, as the samples were recorded at AIR Lyndhurst Hall.

• 3 weeks later...

I revisited this after the final Tomb Raider Suite came out. But I only put it online a few months ago. Mainly a few changes to choir, low instrumentation and the violins in the third part of the piece.

I also did this using the original time signatures (which are, quite frankly, a bit bananas)

Why? What are the time signatures? 

After a long wait, I've finally downloaded Berlin Strings. The last string library I had was EWQL from 10 years ago. The difference in sound is incredible, and the smaller sections very handy for divisi. 

It's also the first time (you'll probably think I'm a caveman) I have a proper MIDI Keyboard with proper MIDI controllers. 

Just improvising with the various sounds is something I could spend hours on. There's nothing synth-y about it at all. It's as if you listen to actual players. 

I can't stress enough how much of a quantum leap (no pun intended) this is from 10 years ago. 

And how liberating it is to not worry about spending an excruciating amount of time on making something sound *just about* right. 

6 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Why? What are the time signatures?

From Bear McCreary's site where he talks about the music of KOTM. 4/4, 5/4, 4/4, 5/4, 3/4.

THEME_GKOTM_GodzillaMarch.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 4:42 PM, karelm said:

That sounds excellent!  What libs?

Thanks! I'm using Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Solo Strings, Studio Orchestra, together with SampleModeling Brass.

2 hours ago, Pando said:

Thanks! I'm using Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Solo Strings, Studio Orchestra, together with SampleModeling Brass.

Is Spitfire Symphony the same as Spitfire BBC Symphony?

14 minutes ago, karelm said:

Is Spitfire Symphony the same as Spitfire BBC Symphony?

No, BBCSO is their newer library but not as extensive and not sonically as good. Unlike the BBCSO, the older SSO was actually recorded at AIR Lyndhurst Hall, the same scoring hall where JW recorded Harry Potter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Wow, almost a year since last updated! Good thing I got a couple of things to share!

I got myself a ComposerCloud Plus subscription during the Black Friday sale, so I get all mic positions for about $20 less than I was paying for the ComposerCloudX subscription (which only included close and mid mic positions). So, I did a couple of things to test this out. At the moment, I don't have access to Hollywood Strings Platinum because my External HDD is only 1TB, so I'm using the EWQLSO Strings Platinum as a placeholder.

I also got hold of a free VST called 'Spook Keys' recently, which can emulate a theremin. So I came out with these to test all this out (plus a few of the instrument patches I had not used before)

• 2 weeks later...

Another Ghostbusters cover, this time of "Stairwell" from the 1984 soundtrack.

Also progressed on the cover of "Protecting the Farm".

EDIT: Also a little something from today (Thursday 6 January):

• 2 weeks later...

An attempt at recreating the "Free Flight"/"Komit" hybrid from The Matrix Reloaded. I can't believe the orchestral part was never released (there were a few alternates used in the film that remain unreleased). The Komit part was easy enough to do though, between the two versions of the track I have.

• 3 weeks later...

A very incomplete mock-up of the Home Alone Main Titles that I would loved to have completed but never got round to. Still the best thing I ever did with samples, by far.

https://soundcloud.com/lee-hayward-643793768/home-alone-main-titles/s-NkxnHRYvds5 

That, and my attempt at The Mummy, which I did to picture:

Lockdown drunken boredom.

3 hours ago, ChrisAfonso said:

That sounds great! But the horn line seems to be a fifth too high?

Yeah, they definitely don't sound quite right - maybe written at concert pitch in error? I think that would explain the difference. Otherwise, that sounds terrific... Jerry would be proud! Or he'd be resurrected and pursue @LSH relentlessly ;-)

• 1 month later...

Attempted to do the Henry Jackman arrangement of Junichi Masuda's Pokemon Red & Blue theme.

This came before I was aware that the actual recording is 40 seconds longer (thanks to finding the cue list I posted here yesterday) and so the source piece (a rip of the blu-ray) I used to create this is missing something.

44 minutes ago, ChrisAfonso said:

I finally got to watch 1917 recently, and this cue/scene left a lasting impression... Mainly did it as a (notation) transcription exercise, but I also tried to create a passable mockup.

Wow, great job transcribing and mocking up a great scene from a great film with a great score!

On 30/01/2022 at 3:35 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

Yeah, they definitely don't sound quite right - maybe written at concert pitch in error? I think that would explain the difference. Otherwise, that sounds terrific... Jerry would be proud! Or he'd be resurrected and pursue @LSH relentlessly ;-)

Yeah, you're definitely correct on that. Strange, when you're so into making stuff like this, little errors like that go unnoticed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 6:49 AM, Giftheck said:

An attempt at recreating the "Free Flight"/"Komit" hybrid from The Matrix Reloaded. I can't believe the orchestral part was never released (there were a few alternates used in the film that remain unreleased). The Komit part was easy enough to do though, between the two versions of the track I have.

WHOA! That’s bad ass dude. Can you PM me with a link for that so I don’t have to record it from youtube?

I really want to update my edit with this so I don’t have to have a rear channel rip. 

I too am surprised the Don Davis material for the film version wasn’t released with the LLL set. 

On 09/04/2022 at 3:39 AM, Giftheck said:

Cover of the Borg theme from First Contact in honour of its use in Star Trek Picard

Great job.

Hey have you done a bit better mockup for the film version segment for "Moribund Mifune" from The Matrix Revolutions?

Nope, I have not touched that one in years. Right now, I don't have the hard drive space to get the Hollywood Strings either, so I have to invest in a better hard drive.

4 hours ago, Giftheck said:

Nope, I have not touched that one in years. Right now, I don't have the hard drive space to get the Hollywood Strings either, so I have to invest in a better hard drive.

Alright fair enough.

• 2 weeks later...

While we're on the subject of Star Trek, I started working on a Mock-Up of the "big battle" cue (aka 'Opened A Hole In Their Lines') from DS9's Sacrifice of Angels literally the day before the new LLL set was released. Since the set was not yet released I based it completely off of the version as heard in the episode, which is slightly different from the earlier take on the LLL set. Once I got the set I did make a couple adjustments here and there in sections that were too bogged up with SFX, but suprisingly I was about 98% accurate.

While I was at it I also decided to mock-up another cue from Sacrifice of Angels, this time a fully-unreleased cue, the opening "Teaser" directly after the recap.

EDIT: As a bonus I also mocked-up the cue directly proceeding the opening titles: