Official JWFan mock ups and fan-made recordings thread!

Jay

I put together a sine wave soundfont with a makeshift ondes martenot preset, so I thought I'd give it a test while covering something from Ghostbusters Afterlife.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Started with sheet music for the original film (11M4 Meeting AKA "GateKeeper" and 12M2 "Gatekeeper" as listed in the Omni Publishing release of the film's sheet music) and adjusted where I knew it was different.

While I was at it, I also updated this old cover.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Loert said:

Had some fun putting this together...though took a lot longer than I was expecting.:kaboom:

This is very good! Must have taken a long time and you must have had a blast making it! 

The orchestration in this score is sublime. Nicholas nailed it! 

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Question: do we have leaked sheet music for HOme Alone 2? If so, could anyone possibly make a mock-up of the string section of Arrival in New York 2, the unused cue?

Yes, I have it. I don't know if that cue is in there but I'll check when I get home.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, LSH said:

Programming sounds pretty good. What samples are you using?

* Cinematic Studio Strings 1.7, which added an updated legato mode (I think I used it right?)

* Randy's Celeste, the only legit Harry Potter celeste sample

* Tom Holkenborg's Brass - 6 horn patch

There was next to no programming here. Just out of the box MIDI playback with pre-delay adjustments.

12 minutes ago, Drew said:

* Cinematic Studio Strings 1.7, which added an updated legato mode (I think I used it right?)

* Randy's Celeste, the only legit Harry Potter celeste sample

* Tom Holkenborg's Brass - 6 horn patch

There was next to no programming here. Just out of the box MIDI playback with pre-delay adjustments.

By 'programming' I meant all the notes sound like they are in the right place. :)

In terms of tone, I think the French Horn line needs a lot more 'umph'. You've got the right dynamic, but the tone is a bit limp. I don't use that brass library so I don't know how to improve. If I have time tomorrow, I'll try and do it myself with Cinesamples.

Randy's Celeste is good, I don't have it myself... I use the one in Spitfire's Percussion library.

56 minutes ago, LSH said:

In terms of tone, I think the French Horn line needs a lot more 'umph'. You've got the right dynamic, but the tone is a bit limp. I don't use that brass library so I don't know how to improve. If I have time tomorrow, I'll try and do it myself with Cinesamples.

The horn patch's legato that I used is a bit sluggish. Not much can be done other than space out more notes. I thought the tone was very similar to the recording.

• 2 months later...

I just found the beginnings (50secs) of a mock up I was supposed to finish many years ago....

The finale cue from Atlantis: The Lost Empire...

I'd like to finish it too!

• 1 month later...

I've always wanted to try covering this

I had to make a trade off in orchestrating since I can't make a synth choir, even the EW Hollywood Choir, sing in Swahili/Zulu. I think having the strings and brass cover that portion of the melody worked well, personally.

On 14/02/2023 at 8:07 PM, MrJosh said:

My attempt at a mockup for the Fox Fanfare. 

I did 3 subtly different versions, just based on some different recordings I've heard over the years like one for example where percussion doesn't play on some bars.

Those strings are gorgeous! What library did you use?

Just playing with Wordbuilder

@Jay @Ricard The JWfan "motif"? ;)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JsUImODjmwHqC9h57QZ07pujSj28Uhyy/view

10 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

Thanks! It's mostly spitfire symphonic strings, but I had recently purchased only Violin I longs (a la carte) from orchestral tools Berlin strings as a way to test them out, so the first violins are from that. 

14 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

Just playing with Wordbuilder

@Jay @Ricard The JWfan "motif"? ;)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JsUImODjmwHqC9h57QZ07pujSj28Uhyy/view

well-there-it-is.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Figured while I was delving into the Primeval soundtrack, I'd merge it with something I always wanted to at least try out: a trailer-style piece. This is short, but I think i hit the 'trailer music' points well with it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I actually tracked down a few of the original samples and loops used in the original version. Peter Siedlaczek's Orchestra was where the orchestra hits come from, and the drum loops and samples come from Zero-G.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Drew said:

Mockup of the beginning of The Imperial March

Wow, good work!!! 

Just a few things I noticed;

maybe take the percussion close mics a bit up and increase the overall loudness of the section by 2 or 3 db.

the horns at 00:16 could sound a bit harsher/tighter.

the trumpets at 00:30 could hold the note a bit longer.

a little intonation mistake at 00:26?

overall the strings and woodwinds could be a bit louder in comparison to the brass.

there is some unnatural loudness misbalance around the instrumentation change at 00:37.

And, this is just my taste, I would turn the Piccolo up (especially at 00:21)!

Overall, it sounds great! Is this Aaron Venture Brass? Do you plan on doing the whole thing?

It’s a combination of 3-4 brass libraries depending on the section. The horns cannot sound any tighter than they do thanks to library limitations. The percussion is a little back in the mix to compensate for most mock-ups putting it in your face and making it sound fake lol

Very nice! One overall, musical comment I would make: in the main trumpet line (from 0:12 onwards), the short notes preceding the long notes often sound as loud, if not louder, than the long notes. Sometimes I also feel that said short notes come in a bit too early. Both of these obscure the beat, and in a march, well...the beat is very important. Sound wise it's excellent, though!

I kept everything on the grid as a proof of concept that I think tone and mixing are more important than fancy programming.

Quickly messing around with the Gran Cassa and Taiko patches in the new Hollywood Fantasy Percussion set. These feel more They're Coming Around than Boys Into Battle to me though :lol: Turning down the Far/Stage mics could get the desired effect.

On 23/07/2023 at 3:12 PM, Michael G. said:

the trumpets at 00:30 could hold the note a bit longer.

There's not much I can do about this. The foundation of the trumpet sound is Berlin Brass Trumpet 3 mixed with the CineBrass trumpet section (hint hint, that is THE secret to getting JW-like sampled trumpets!). CineBrass is extremely limited with articulations and the half-note articulation doesn't play out for very long. The sustain articulation has a slightly different timbre than the other ones, so it's hard to use it in phrases. I also added a staccatissimo overlay using Spitfire Studio Brass Pro Trumpet 2 to give it some punch. Combine that with Berlin Brass Trumpet 3 and CineBrass trumpet section and it's magic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I revisited an older cover of mine, reloaded the instruments in OPUS instead of PLAY, and added in a new ending, based on "Impossible" from season 3 of Star Trek: Picard.

EDIT:

Bleh, I didn't realise the image had been shrunk in the video. Ah, well, never mind.

• 4 weeks later...