Official JWFan mock ups and fan-made recordings thread!

Jay

You could finish Get 'Em R2 as well if you wanted

+2

I'd love to see AOTC Finale with these sound samples too.

EDIT: And Duel of the Fates without the choral too (since a complete recording of that is currently unavailable)

• 1 month later...

FYI, I'm working on an all-new "Get 'Em R-2!" mockup that I'll be happy to share, once I finish it. I know Jack's incomplete mockup was VERY well received (and for good reason), so I'm hoping mine won't disappoint, but I think it's turning out quite well. And heck, if you end up preferring Jack's, you can at least use his and then edit mine in to fill in the blanks. =P

Anyway, I'm hoping to have this finished sometime in the next few days, so stay tuned. The brass, strings, and percussion are basically finished - their balance just needs a little fine-tuning in a few spots. Then I've just got to do the woodwinds and keyboards, neither of which will dramatically impact the way the mockup sounds.

FYI, I'm working on an all-new "Get 'Em R-2!" mockup that I'll be happy to share, once I finish it. I know Jack's incomplete mockup was VERY well received (and for good reason), so I'm hoping mine won't disappoint, but I think it's turning out quite well. And heck, if you end up preferring Jack's, you can at least use his and then edit mine in to fill in the blanks. =P

Anyway, I'm hoping to have this finished sometime in the next few days, so stay tuned. The brass, strings, and percussion are basically finished - their balance just needs a little fine-tuning in a few spots. Then I've just got to do the woodwinds and keyboards, neither of which will dramatically impact the way the mockup sounds.

Nice looking forward to it! :)

Aaaaaaaaaaand there it is. The woodwinds ended up being pretty easy, especially since they're (intentionally) nearly impossible to hear. :P

http://www.multiupload.com/QDJ04YCJAR

Again, I hope it's not a disappointment after Jack's mockup. But at least it covers all the missing material, and it's a million times better than the mockup I did in Finale a while back!

Wow, thanks! :D

EDIT: Oh, just so you know, the very last snare drum note of my mockup should overlap perfectly with the first big orchestral blast we have from the video game files (whichever one that was). And of course, the mockup starts exactly one beat after the last timpani hit heard in the DVD rip, as Jack's mockup illustrates nicely. (Unlike Jack, I didn't attempt to re-create the passage that we have from the DVD rip but not in the video game files.)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently working on the original unused ending to "Quidditch 2004" and the unused majority of "Up in a Basket (Part 1)." The former is really proving to be a great challenge tempo-wise, and the latter is just really tedious to do because of all the fast, scurrying notes in the strings, but hopefully both will be finished at some point relatively soon.

So if i understand it well, Datameister, you first engrave the sheet music with Finale, export it as a .midi file and then import that in Reaper and appoint EWQLSO instruments to it?

Your mockup of ROTS 1m4a is very good! I like EWQLSO, but i prefer the more classical sound of the Vienna library. But then of course, Vienna is very expensive.

Sorry, I didn't have time to respond to your email cause I spent the rest of the night trying to get Reaper and EWQLSO to be friends

ROTFLMAO

No, these days, I play everything on my MIDI keyboard and record it directly into REAPER, measure by measure, instrument by instrument, choosing sounds from EWQLSO, LA Scoring Strings, Orchestral Brass Classic, Symphobia, and/or TrueStrike, as needed. Then I extensively tweak and clean up the MIDI data to my satisfaction and make sure all the parts are mixed correctly. Along the way, there's a lot of fiddling with reverb, EQ, automation, and so forth. And I usually do each instrument group (woodwinds, brass, percussion, and strings) in a separate file, since my computer has trouble loading too many patches. These days, I only use Finale if I come to a passage that's just way too hard for me to play on my keyboard.

Engraving the sheet music is a whole 'nother hobby, one that I'm not doing much of at the moment. For that, I just use Finale and don't pay too much attention to how it sounds. In the beginning, my engravings led to my first mockups, but then I started doing separate Finale documents for mockups, and then I pretty much stopped using Finale for mockups altogether once I got real sample libraries. That's just not what Finale is for.

BTW, if I can build up the energy and motivation and time, I'm hoping to do the unreleased, unused first part of "Enter Winter" from POA. (The version heard in the film is revised up until that playful flute solo after Double Trouble plays on the horns.) My other mockup projects seem to be stalling, mostly because of issues related to tempo.

• 2 weeks later...

Toom matters into my own hands.

I present to you, the original Finale from AOTC, or at least, my mockup of it.

I had to go by ear with Jason's mockup, because I don't have the sheet for it, but I think it turned out well. Feel free to point out errors I have made (and I have undoubtedly made them).

http://www.multiupload.com/1T0WZTOEGU

Here's the missing string bit from earlier in the cue, the one that got shifted to Yoda Strikes Back:

http://www.multiupload.com/ZR1SGFXGTH

Here's, well, it's not really a mockup, i just combined some elements of the track to replicate what's in the sheet music:

http://www.multiupload.com/9MMK0S7XV9

These are 3 bars that should go at 1:07:20 of "Twin Pines Mall" (Back to the Future). After that the cue continues with 1:07:20.

These bars were discarded before the cue was recorded.

BTW, if I can build up the energy and motivation and time, I'm hoping to do the unreleased, unused first part of "Enter Winter" from POA. (The version heard in the film is revised up until that playful flute solo after Double Trouble plays on the horns.) My other mockup projects seem to be stalling, mostly because of issues related to tempo.

How's it going with that? :)

How's it going with that? :)

I swear, I've been totally unable to finish mockups these days. :( I keep starting projects but not finishing them for various reasons. That one's no different. Someday, it'll be finished...

Cool, someone's been sharing my edit around without my permission, as I suspected.

Somebody not here on this site sent me the sheet music for that specific cue. I have no idea what your edit sounds like, but if it's anything like your old "Get 'em, R-2!" you shared, it's with MIDI-styled instruments, whereas mine's with EWQLSO instruments, with a soundfont I made sourcing a track from the AOTC OST.

I don't do mockups in Finale anymore - I use a combination of EWQLSO, Orchestral Brass Classic, Symphobia, TrueStrike, LA Scoring Strings, and bits I've sampled from other recordings. I'll PM you about the issue, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty good at mockups. Does anyone have the sheet music/sketch/score for AOTC 2m2 "Palpatine's Plotting"? It's one of the biggest gaps in the score now that TOR has filled in so many holes and I'd love to take a stab at mocking it up. PM me - I have some stuff I can trade...

• 1 month later...

Those of you who have really good mock-up sources IE: Schookbaer and such, can you mock-up the cue "Board Meeting" from the sheet music? The cue that wasn't found. I'd love to have it in my edit for Batman. Thanks in advance.

thanks:) I'm not sure I'd call it amazing, but I think I got a pretty good sound out of it.

most of the libraries I use are getting a little old actually;

Brass: Project SAM layered with Sonic Implants (called Sonivox now)

Woodwinds: VSL with Hollywoodwinds for runs

Strings: Cinematic Strings

Percussion: Sonic Implants

And then just added som Quantum Leap spaces for reverb. Not much EQ or anything else.

Maybe you ought to reconsider holding on to the "old stuff" awhile longer-it seems to suit you.

What is your host DAW on this?

A VERY NICE JOB!!!

Thanks. My DAW is just my comp I use for everything else - It's an i7 920 @2.67 ghz, with 16gb ram. All samples streamed from a single SSD.

for programs I use an old sequencer called "voyetra record producer" - I think it's abandonware now - with kontakt 4 and Adobe Audition.

Can't really recommend making music the way I do - There are better programs like Cubase, that I really should start using. I'm just very comfortable in Record Producer.

• 1 month later...

All right, I don't think anyone else has done a mockup of this, so I gave it a shot! There are four bars (52-55) that are cut out of "Through Chinatown" in both the film AND the albums. As you can hear, they're quite similar to the four bars that come before them, which ARE in the film and albums. Note that the rather quiet staccato trumpet note at the very end is intentional - that's a sixteenth note that comes right before the downbeat. It sounds weird on its own like this, but if you get the timing right with the music that comes next, it sounds totally natural. Just don't try to line up that note with the downbeat, haha.

http://www.multiupload.com/WSYUNGYB5O

This is my first time using a DAW (Reaper) and a real sample library (EWQLSO) to make a mockup of unreleased music (as opposed to the sounds that come packaged with Finale), so while I'm quite happy with how it turned out, I'd definitely appreciate critiques. :D

I know this is old but, where would you put this into the full track with DVD rips?

• 4 weeks later...

OK guys well we had our concert on Friday, which included me getting to conduct "Anything Goes" (including the Playoff). I was (and still am) fighting off what can only be described as Martian Death Flu, but as they say, the show must go on. In the end, the band played fairly well without too many split brass notes or similar mistakes, which is nice. It's funny how different the balance is in this music when played live versus being able to bring each instrumentalist up or down in a recorded mix. If anyone is interested, I can upload just the recording as a download link.

Wow, that's awesome!

Just wondering, is there a new place/forum/page for these mock ups and fan-made recordings? Obviously the ones on megaupload don't work any more, i'm also not able to access http://www.multiupload.com/ (possibly blocked at my work though, not sure). What would be great is a google doc maybe that's organized by score, and timing (9m1) and then the various fan made mockups. Although I did read in the Policies of this forum that discussion is only about music, and not where to find it, but since this thread is already here, i would love to be able to listen to these. Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Does anyone of you own a good choral library?

If so, would you mind adding the chorus to a recording I made (or that I'm about to make) when I give you a MIDI? It's not very long, just around a minute.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Apologies in advance for bumping this thread. I just happened to find through this thread (thank you, Jay):

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25024

I hope the others don't mind, but I think I'm going to be taking over the requests for this thread for the foreseeable future. I've been having a good run so far with my prototype miniature render project and the constructive feedback I've been getting with it. Plus, it'll be an excellent set of exercises in increasing my efficiency to create realistic mockups. The only catch is that I'm going to need the either the handwritten or "engraved" score for the cue in question (it'll make my producing these digitally-rendered mockups much faster), so if anyone has the scores (I'm looking at you, Sharky), send them my way through a PM.

So... based on the list from the beginning, are there any requests at this current time?

Start with these three short Temple of Doom cues

2m3b Snowbank Sweetener
5m1 Entrance Of The Boy King
5m2b Exchange Of Glances

Use of non-publicly available resources, such as conductor scores from films, is immoral, and I'm offended that such a thing would even be mentioned here.

To quote Doc Brown: I figured... what the hell?

Start with these three short Temple of Doom cues

2m3b Snowbank Sweetener
5m1 Entrance Of The Boy King
5m2b Exchange Of Glances

Without the score for these cues, this is going to take much, much longer.

I don't suppose you know someone who has it who can make it available to me.