Jay

Official JWFan mock ups and fan-made recordings thread!

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

:o

Also, you covered Blade Runner Blues on a CS80. You are welcome on this forum.

Thanks, that was actually done with Deckard's Dream (self-built).

:thumbup:

Or it could also be that Williams wasn't told about Rey's lineage at first and wrote this with Vader's theme all over it. JJ did a facepalm and had to tell him the full story.

In any case, this is a piece of unknown Williams' music that very few people have heard before. Not sure if it was even recorded.

On 6/24/2020 at 6:44 AM, Pando said:

A completely different, earlier version of Rey's Theme :)

For a major Star Wars theme, this sounds bad. Like a cue from Tintin. 

But that's the point, we don't know it's a "major Star Wars theme".  It's a cue that scored a scene in the movie.  We can't assume he would have taken the material here and used it as Rey's theme in subsequent scenes.

On 6/24/2020 at 7:09 AM, Pando said:

Thanks, that was actually done with Deckard's Dream (self-built).

Did you use the Roland VP-03 for the strings? 

I also shared this on the ‘Restored Isolated Score: Star Wars Saga’ thread, but since it’s a mockup, it seems appropriate to also share it here. There was music written in the original version of the cue 5M6 Inner City for a brief deleted scene from the original 1977 Star Wars of Darth Vader and an officer walking down a Death Star hallway. This scene would have been placed exactly where the Jabba scene ended up in the special edition of the movie. However, by the time the cue was recorded the scene was out and so the cue was revised to excise this section.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Did you use the Roland VP-03 for the strings? 

No, just the Xils V+ VST (default Simple Strings patch), which is a pretty good Roland VP-330 emulation.

The Blues was recorded live with Kurzweil Midiboard (with polyphonic aftertouch) as I played it impromptu for my friend shortly after I got my Deckard's built and running. I think I was among the first 3 to finish building it successfully back in December 2017.

For better context, I’ve added a few seconds before and after the music I mocked up written for the deleted Vader scene from Star Wars Episode IV. The rest of the unrecorded early version of the cue (5M6 Inner City) is identical to the final version 5M6R Inner City.

On 6/26/2020 at 12:50 AM, Jay said:

But that's the point, we don't know it's a "major Star Wars theme".  It's a cue that scored a scene in the movie.  We can't assume he would have taken the material here and used it as Rey's theme in subsequent scenes.

The post specifically said "earlier version of Reys theme". 

5 hours ago, gkgyver said:

The post specifically said "earlier version of Reys theme". 

The poster made an assumption. He (most likely) didn't work on the production,. He's not John Williams, so he doesn't really know.

On 6/25/2020 at 1:32 PM, MikeH said:

Thanks Pando! What samples are you using for playback?

Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra (the old one, not the new BBC). It's got a wonderfully natural tone, as the samples were recorded at AIR Lyndhurst Hall.

I revisited this after the final Tomb Raider Suite came out. But I only put it online a few months ago. Mainly a few changes to choir, low instrumentation and the violins in the third part of the piece.

I also did this using the original time signatures (which are, quite frankly, a bit bananas)

Why? What are the time signatures? 

After a long wait, I've finally downloaded Berlin Strings. The last string library I had was EWQL from 10 years ago. The difference in sound is incredible, and the smaller sections very handy for divisi. 

It's also the first time (you'll probably think I'm a caveman) I have a proper MIDI Keyboard with proper MIDI controllers. 

Just improvising with the various sounds is something I could spend hours on. There's nothing synth-y about it at all. It's as if you listen to actual players. 

I can't stress enough how much of a quantum leap (no pun intended) this is from 10 years ago. 

And how liberating it is to not worry about spending an excruciating amount of time on making something sound *just about* right. 

6 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Why? What are the time signatures?

From Bear McCreary's site where he talks about the music of KOTM. 4/4, 5/4, 4/4, 5/4, 3/4.

THEME_GKOTM_GodzillaMarch.png