Williams' Music concert in Madrid 10/04/11

Luke Skywalker

I just returned home from the concert. What an awesome repertoire, and almost neat performance by the spanish national orchestra and choir. COnducted by George Pehlivanian

The program was like this:

The Raiders March

HP & Philosoper's Stone suite:

Hedwig's theme

Sorcerer's Stone

Nimbus 2000

Harry's Wondrous word

Jurassic Park

The Lost World

Intermission

Star Wars Suite

Main title

Princess leia's theme

The Cantina Band

The Imperial March

Yoda's theme

The Flag Parade

Anakin's theme

The adventures of Jar jar

Duel of the Fates

Across the stars

Battle of the Heroes

Encores

Duel of the Fates

Hymn to the Fallen

Listening to Jurassic park live was amazing. It was the williams prefered concert version (fast paced, no choir, island theme and t-rex rescue ending attached.

The lost world was the reworked concert version. Very cool and powerful and it was impressive to watch the musicians play one of these strong and fast modern williams pieces.

Listening hedwigs theme, harry's wondrous world and across the stars live does make you truly see this pieces as the pure classic williams pieces they are.

Many of the performances were very close to the film version sound. great.

Hymn of the fallen was a goosebumping piece to finish the concert.

I couldnt record anything because i was in the first row, just in front of the 2nd violins. I reccomend being so close to the orchestra at least once in life, you cant see the whole group but the power of the music hits you and you can see things like breaking strings (the ones in the arc not in the instruments) which was curious.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a great programme indeed! I would love to hear Jurassic Park live, not to mention the Lost World. And Hymn to the Fallen as an encore must have been so brilliant. I have heard it live and I remember being just in awe of the piece. :)

It's the best film music concert I've attended, and with one really striking encore. I don't think I'll see again such a repertoire performed by a choir as good as the Spanish National Choir. My personal highlights were The Lost World and, of course, Hymn to the Fallen.

I didn't see Rubén in the concert, but Manuel was there and we even had lunch together.

Hi everyone! After years reading this forum I'm finally joining in.

I attended the Madrid Concert as well. It was an incredible performance, in my opinion, even better than the September one by the same orchestra. For me the real highlight was the incredible performance of the violins in Hedwig's theme. I was in second row and could testify what a difficult task was for them to perform that piece.

By the way, the concert was broadcasted live by RNE. --Link remove, by the way I did not paste it correctly...

I wasn't sure about the link. But it is out there... The broadcasting also includes an interview with the conductor, although in spanish of course.

I was there too.

These concerts give me goosebumps in a way the headphones just can't. Pure adrenaline.

I couldnt record anything because i was in the first row, just in front of the 2nd violins. I reccomend being so close to the orchestra at least once in life, you cant see the whole group but the power of the music hits you and you can see things like breaking strings (the ones in the arc not in the instruments) which was curious.

I was just a few rows behind! It sounded great indeed.

I think I can obtain the recording....

Wow, an amazing program and I can imagine the concert was just as, if not even more, amazing! :) What I find fascinating is that George Pehlivanian conducted this concert. He was the principal conductor of Slovenian Philharmonic for 3 or 4 years not long ago (2004-2009 or something like that) and did a lot of great concerts with them, but always strictly classical stuff, he never expressed even the faintest interest in film music. How I wish he'd have done such a concert during his tenure here in Slovenia!

wow ,I heard some of it and it's one kick ass performance of Battle of the Heroes

Theme from Lost World also has the cool revised opening/ending

I was listening to the concert yesterday and to my ambarrassment I realized that in the recording you can clearly hear my three years old son talking during the first bars of Hedwig's theme. He loves the Raiders March and when it was over he went on saying "Oh , it's over". We were in 2nd row and hence near the microphones.

Theme from Lost World also has the cool revised opening/ending

Kunzel recorded that arrangement for his THE GREAT MOVIE SCORE OF STEVEN SPIELBERG album back in 1999.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Movie-Scores-Steven-Spielberg/dp/B00000I6PU

-Erik-

but it was super sped up

Kuznel's version? I loved it! I haven't listened to this Madrid concert but I think the Cincinnati Pops gave a virtuoso performance.

-Erik-

Concerning the Duel of the Fates piece, which is like the one in the videogame files slightly alternate from the OST version: I was wondering what version is rerecorded on the Towering Inferno Varèse compilation: the OST one or the alternate?

Concerning the Duel of the Fates piece, which is like the one in the videogame files slightly alternate from the OST version: I was wondering what version is rerecorded on the Towering Inferno Varèse compilation: the OST one or the alternate?

Duel of the Fates wasn't on The Towering Inferno album. It was on the "THE PHANTOM MENACE AND OTHER FILM HITS" album. Every re-recording that I know off uses the alternate arrangement which is really only has a few noticable changes in orchestration.

-Erik-

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

I reuse this old thread because I'm looking for this concert. Iknow I pass the link to download it to some of you. For some casual if it's possible that some of you still has the audio file. It was the first concert I attended with my son, then 3 years old, and would like to revisit it. Thanks in advance!