It's a "Holy Grail"

Kevin

I personally do not use the term, I know some people do (it's a word in the dictionary over at FSM). The reason I don't use it is that I think it's a silly term. It's for people who may take film score collecting/listening too seriously/personally/emotionally.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh.. It's a term used by all collectors, no matter what they collect. I think far too much is read into the use of this word. If someone finally gets a score they've been pining for, is it so wrong for them to feel like a quest has been fulfilled?

I've sometimes used the term but the only thing that I really consider my true only "holy grail" is the score for Back To The Future. I was beyond excited when Intrada had released the full score for that. I had been waiting a VERY long time for a complete release to happen.

The quest for the grail is not film score collecting. It's a race against evil.

It can also take life away...

Or fast cars, rough sex, heavy drinking, over eating, smoking at the gas pumps, and using a cell phone without a tin foil helmet.

I'll take my chances with binge soundtrack collecting.

All joking aside, I have no problem with using the term "Holy Grail".

I still have a few Grails out there that I want in complete form:

The High And The Mighty

King Kong 76

Gremlins

Robin Hood, Prince Of Thieves

The Ten Commandments

Fall Of The Roman Empire

Hook

If I got these I could walk away very happy.

Aside from the usual JW grails, I'd love to see released:

- Masada complete

- The Bible, by Thosiro Mayuzumi, complete

- A Place in the Sun - rerecording

- More volumes from Batman TAS

- Obsession

And it probably is.

But anyway, I?m sure sooner or later a expanded edition will be released, containing both the complete score and the original soundtrack album, which has become riduclously scarce. As it is probably my favorite Goldsmith score, I'd love to own a legitimate release of it.

There are few more Goldsmith titles, such as Masada, I would like to add but I could do without them if I had a choice.

The List Of Adrian Messenger and The Salamander are the two other titles. Of course a complete ST:TMP with all the music, remastered to fix some of the sound problems, would be welcome.

I could come up with a list of 50 semi-grails I would like but I imagine all of those will see a release somewhere down the line, if the material has survived and the rights are available without hassle.

Based on comments from Doug Fake at Intrada, I have a feeling we may be getting some of those Universal / UMG grails.

He's mentioned working on Universal / UMG and Disney titles.

The High And The Mighty

King Kong 76

Gremlins

The Ten Commandments

Fall Of The Roman Empire

Hook

Yes. Yes. And Yes.

Mine:

Gremlins

Six Million Dollar Man music scores (those by Oliver Nelson)

King Kong 1976 complete

and the usual Williams ones:

JP

TLW

CoS

POA

AotC

RotS

KotCS

Hook

I have no problem with the term (it gets its meaning across), but it's not something I use myself. There are things I want released, of course, but I've never really been that obsessed about it to label it a "holy grail".

I personally do not use the term, I know some people do (it's a word in the dictionary over at FSM). The reason I don't use it is that I think it's a silly term. It's for people who may take film score collecting/listening too seriously/personally/emotionally.

But music is personal, emotional and can be a very serious item to collect - I definitely don't think it's a silly term.

However, I do use it sparingly, and don't apply it to scores that I would just really like to have. Breakdown, The Flintstones, Ghostbusters 2, Jurassic Park are a sample of scores I really want to see, but I can live without them.

I only have two titles currently that I'd apply the term 'grail'. My definition is pretty much that if I'm willing to take the time to rip unavailable parts from DVD (even with massive sfx) and put up with them, then it's a grail release. I currently have one score and one TV show for which I've done that.

Mine:

Gremlins

King Kong 1976 complete

Wait a gosh darn minute....Generic TV music is on your holy grail list?

I think I just had a small heart attack.

I don't mind the term. Everyone knows what's meant by it, so why not?

My only true "grail" was Last Crusade (and in particular, Father's Study and Wrong Choice, Right Choice), and even though we didn't get a complete release, I'm mostly satisfied with what we got. There are other scores I'd be very happy about, like Revenge of the Sith, Young Sherlock Holmes, or Land before Time (when is that one finally re-released???), and we already got some I was waiting for (Goonies, ID4, ...), but it's not quite the same level.

Mine:

Gremlins

King Kong 1976 complete

Wait a gosh darn minute....Generic TV music is on your holy grail list?

generic TV music ? you have no idea what I'm talking about then

Here listen to this. I can't find a good episode clip on youtube anymore, but this theme version is similar to the orchestrations used in the score episodes

also someone made a mockup of a score cue which is pretty close

I remember the days when the world was full of grails and lost arks that hadn't yet been discovered. When we'd get the OST of a major motion picture score from a film that had something like 112 minutes of music but only eleven pieces were released on the album--four of which were concert versions and one other that was a song nobody cared about. (Anyone care to venture a guess as to which score I'm talking about?) Those were the days when some of us would sit with a cassette recorder in front of the T.V. speaker so we could have the music to listen to when we wanted, even if it was laced with dialogue and sound effects.

I also remember the early days when we first started getting those grails we'd waited so long for, like the one ETandElliott4Ever is holding in his avatar pic. Those were magical and thrilling times. We never dreamed we'd get to hear most of those pieces in their clean, original, unimpeded form. To finally hold them in our hands gave us a strange sense of completion. It was great.

Nowadays . . . well, there aren't too many more scores left to round off, and because we've gotten so many in full form we've built an expectation that we're entitled to them all. It's kinda like real archaeology in that sense: most of the great finds have already been discovered, though there are still folks out there digging in the jungles and deserts of the world for every last piece of the past. That doesn't make it a bad thing. It's just what they do. I have to confess I don't feel quite as much interest in complete scores as I used to. I've gotten most of my wish list already. And yet . . . for my birthday this year, I got The Dark Crystal, Poltergeist, and Star Trek II and III complete--and it made for quite a birthday.

It's all about passion in the end. We pursue what we're passionate about. Others may not understand it, may even find it worthless or contemptible (remember Marion's resentment toward her father for his "little bits of junk?"). But when you're passionate about something, you don't feel the need to apologize for it. Nor should you.

- Uni

I remember the day I opened the SW Anthology Box Set ( after driving 2 hours across the border to the USA to buy it) . Put disk 3 in and played the track Final Duel/ Into the Death Star. Fantastic moment

I had the same sort of "where-were-you" moment with the "Through the Flames" piece. I couldn't listen to it sitting down, I was so pumped.

- Uni

Some of my top grails right now are Hook, Chamber of Secrets, Temple of Doom, Catch Me If You Can and the E.T. Adventure score. I feel like those last two may never get released.

I remember the day I opened the SW Anthology Box Set ( after driving 2 hours across the border to the USA to buy it) . Put disk 3 in and played the track Final Duel/ Into the Death Star. Fantastic moment

I played that cue in the CD store, since I did not enough money to buy it.

Goosebumps!

I played that cue in the CD store, since I did not enough money to buy it.

Goosebumps!

I went straight to Disc 4 and listened to Drawing the Battle Lines/Leia's Instructions & Attack Position from Empire.

I went straight to disc 4 and listed to Cantina Band / Lapti Nek / Cantina Band #2 :P

It was my first soundtrack/score purchase ever, and I was a 14 year old Star Wars nerd

Yes I use the term and think it is a very descriptive one at that.

The High And The Mighty

King Kong 76

Gremlins

The Ten Commandments

Fall Of The Roman Empire

Hook

...but I bet you wouldn't... :)

When it comes to Holy Grails, I have only a couple.

These are scores I would get immediately upon release, finances be damned. These should be out there complete and chronological, just the way Thor hates it :P (I keed, I keed.)

- Star Trek: The Motion Picture

- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

I would like ANY release of this score:

D.A.R.Y.L. - Marvin Hamlisch

And speaking of Holy Grails, seems like one of mine is getting released :)

At the Intermezzo Media home page, you can read:

"Coming soon John Huston's "THE BIBLE" Complete Edition - Music by Toshiro Mayuzumi - 123 Minutes of Music"

http://www.intermezzomedia.com/index.php3?sid=IuxkeTs5KVPiyL4B

This is one of my all time favorite scores and some incredible music was left off the cd. This is a dream release for me

These are scores I would get immediately upon release.

- Star Trek: The Motion Picture

- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

I would like ANY release of this score:

I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up seeing those released in complete form in the next few years. Sony owns Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Jeff Bond did post sometime last year that it was rights issues holding up the release. Hopefully La-La Land has cleared up those rights issues and can get that to us this year.

Star Trek IV and VI are both owned by MCA and the company I think has long since died out. Now whether or not they hold the rights for those two in perpetuity guess we'll have to wait and see.