Jerry Goldsmith's First Knight (La-La Land 2CD Complete)

Jay

Ordering goes live in just about SEVEN hours from now

FIRST KNIGHT: LIMITED EDITION (2CD-SET) LLLCD 1168

Music by Jerry Goldsmith

Limited Edition of 5000 Units STARTS SHIPPING APRIL 12th

RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

ORDER "FIRST KNIGHT: LIMITED EDITION (2CD-SET)" APRIL 12th at www.lalalandrecords.com

La-La Land Records and Sony Music proudly present the expanded, 2CD presentation of legendary composer Jerry Goldsmith's (PATTON, THE OMEN, BASIC INSTINCT) powerful orchestral score to the 1995 Columbia Pictures feature film FIRST KNIGHT, starring Sean Connery, Richard Gere and Julia Ormond, directed by Jerry Zucker. Considered by many, including the maestro himself, to be one of Goldsmith's finest scores, this important work, (presented in its film version for the first time), has been expanded over the original soundtrack release by more than a full hour, including additional alternate tracks. The original 1995 soundtrack release is also presented here, remastered. Produced by Bruce Botnick, Mike Matessino and Didier C. Deutsch, and mastered by Bruce Botnick from Mr. Botnick's own 1st generation digital masters straight from the mixing board, this limited edition release is the definitive presentation of this masterful Goldsmith score. Exclusive, in-depth liner notes are by film music writer Jeff Bond, with additional comments from Bruce Botnick. This is a limited edition release of 5000 Units.

TRACK LISTING:

Disc 1

The Film Score

1 The Legend Of Camelot :58

2 Raid On Leonesse 5:12

3 True Love / The Ambush / First Sight 6:24

4 Does It Please You / Look At Me 3:25

5 Promise Me 2:20

6 Camelot 2:37

7 Gauntlet Drums 1:50

8 Meet the Queen :45

9 The Gauntlet / No Kiss 2:02

10 No Joy / Try Her / Wedding Plans / I Will Fight 2:58

11 Boat Trip 2:03

12 The Cave 2:14

13 Walls Of Air 1:33

14 Escape From The Cave 3:25

15 Prove It 2:55

16 A New Life 5:38

17 To Leonesse 3:24

18 Night Battle 5:53

19 Village Ruins 3:19

20 The Kiss 1:59

21 Open The Door /No One Move 1:58

22 Arthur's Farewell 5:25

23 Never Surrender 5:40

24 Camelot Lives 4:04

Disc 1 Time: 78:50

Disc 2

The 1995 Soundtrack Album

1 Arthur's Fanfare 0:45

2 Promise Me 4:04

3 Camelot 2:19

4 Raid On Leonesse 4:26

5 A New Life 4:54

6 To Leonesse 3:25

7 Night Battle 5:39

8 Village Ruins 3:20

9 Arthur's Farewell 5:25

10 Camelot Lives 5:40

1995 Soundtrack Time: 40:17

Additional Music

11 The Ambush / First Sight (alternate) 5:46

12 Boat Trip (alternate segment) 1:05

13 A New Life (alternate 1) 5:37

14 A New Life (alternate 2) 3:14

15 To Leonesse (alternate) 2:40

16 Village Ruins (alternate) 3:29

17 Never Surrender (alternate) 5:20

Additional Music Time: 27:29

Disc 2 Time: 67:53

hiresfirstknight.jpg

28 minutes of alternates, cool.

I have a feeling the usual suspects at FSM will start complaining about the LP being included. But it looks like a winner from LaLaLand.

Good grief, I'm turning into Thor, but I'm not going to buy it because I've heard that other than a few cues outside of the original album, the original album was fine.

Your loss, another film score member's gain. ;)

But seriously there are some nice cues that were left off the original album, such as the ones featuring Lancelot's theme.

Fantastic! Another one of my Goldsmith favourites from the 90's receives an expansion. Damn my currently thin wallet. Can I wait a while and trust that this won't sell out? What a conundrum!

Fantastic! Another one of my Goldsmith favourites from the 90's receives an expansion. Damn my currently thin wallet. Can I wait a while and trust that this won't sell out? What a conundrum!

At 5,000 copies, it should be around for a while. Star Trek 5 was also released at 5,000 copies, and that didn't sell out for 4 months. And that had the entire Star Trek fanbase to go along with it. I don't think there are a ton of fans of First Knight (the movie) scrambling to pick this one up :)

But seriously there are some nice cues that were left off the original album, such as the ones featuring Lancelot's theme.

Yes, I think that theme could have been included in the original release without it losing some of its listening flow. But at the time, I'm sure there were reasons for its exclusion (like the "block payment" in relation to reuse fees, for example).

As it is, though, the original album is more than good enough for me. I don't really listen that much to this kind of "busy" orchestral writing anymore, anyway.

I don't get why a lot of people complain that the OST is included with a complete release. Personally if the OST can be included an will most of the time have a vast superior sound and mix over the original release then I welcome it.

If LaLaLand had skipped the album version and issued a second disc of alternates only or split the 78 minute score to go with the alternates then people would have been whining about wasted space and why didn't they bother to include the album.

Actually it's usually the same select few that have to jump in over at FSM. Their posts are almost like clockwork.

Mike Matessino chimed in over there, he had hinted working on this without naming the score last month I believe, but it appears Goldsmith assigned some of his cue titles to completely different cues for the album release.

A little note about First Knight if you are familiar with the score (or not):

Jerry Goldsmith played "musical chairs" with track titles when the original album was produced, taking some of his cue titles and applying them to different music for the album. For contractual reasons, those titles had to be retained for the album presentation, but it was not possible to apply the same titles to the corresponding music on the disc 1 full score presentation because that would have created a situation where previously unreleased tracks had their titles taken away! So disc 1, the full score, has all of the original manuscript and cue sheet titles, even though some of those same titles on the original album are for different music. It's an odd "east is east and west is west" situation. Jeff Bond's notes explain the assembly of the original album and what cues the tracks on it are called on the full score.

Mike

Post # 277

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=77933&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=14&r=306#bottom

Nah, I'll just buy 10 copies for speculation purposes... ;)

... about the LP being included.

First Knight didn't have an LP release, ya old fogey. ;)

As much as I would love to get this right away, I think I'll hold off for a while.

The Medal of Honor box set will more than fill my monthly quota.

Giacchino over Goldsmith, my word... :shakehead:

A little note about First Knight if you are familiar with the score (or not):

Jerry Goldsmith played "musical chairs" with track titles when the original album was produced

That's even more annoying than Williams could ever achieve.

If LaLaLand had skipped the album version and issued a second disc of alternates only or split the 78 minute score to go with the alternates then people would have been whining about wasted space and why didn't they bother to include the album.

I guess people will always whine about cost, but what these people need to remember is that these are definitive releases, and the label will present all the material they can find. If that leaks onto a second CD, then would they rather sacrifice the additional music for a few $, or pay a bit more and get the full package.

I won't be getting this though; I'm very selective with Goldsmith, and I don't actually like the themes much, particularly what I assume to be the love theme.

Good grief, I'm turning into Thor, but I'm not going to buy it because I've heard that other than a few cues outside of the original album, the original album was fine.

The original album was missing some major worthwhile material, even if some of it was lifted from Mahler.

Can't wait to hear what the sound quality is like, either. What Botnick recently got out of Trek V is amazing.

At 5,000 copies, it should be around for a while. Star Trek 5 was also released at 5,000 copies, and that didn't sell out for 4 months. And that had the entire Star Trek fanbase to go along with it. I don't think there are a ton of fans of First Knight (the movie) scrambling to pick this one up :)

I'm also very much counting on all this. I just bought the plane tickets to NYC so I better not even think about the condition my wallet is at this moment. :(:P

Currently trying to make up my mind about this score. I should probably give it a little time, since I'm sure it'll be around for long enough for me to make the right choice. Based on the samples, it sounds like a pretty great Goldsmith score, but the $30 pricetag is a little formidable for me right now. I've bought a lot of music (by my standards) in the last year or so, and I'm going to be needing to make some big (non-music-related) purchases in the not-too-distant future, so I'm trying not to spend excessively.

Maybe I'll just try to increase my appreciation of the scores I already have and hope that this one sticks around long enough for me to be able to justify the expense...

In any case, bravo to La-La Land for what appears to be yet another excellent release. :D

I'm hoping this lasts until LLL sets up their space at Comic-Con, where they will likely have something new for the event.

If not, I have the OST on this one.

LLL has proven time and again, with Star Trek V, The Edge, Home Alone, Batman, Batman Returns and others, that they know how to produce excellent soundtracks.

LLL has proven time and again, with Star Trek V, The Edge, Home Alone, Batman, Batman Returns and others, that they know how to produce excellent soundtracks.

You said it. I admit that when I first heard of them, the goofy name kind of put me off, but then I realized that they were putting out amazing releases for film score fans by film score fans. Can't wait to see what they come out with in the future. (And I really should pick up Batman someday, too...crap, there goes another $30...)

I'll probably pick this up next month. Never get enough of Goldsmith's music. Hopefully it won't sell out by then. I still have to check out the movie. Never saw the movie or heard the score before.

Only one question, why the End Title did not included? Anyway, ordered.

It may have just been simply tracked music, or possibly it's in "Camelot Lives". However, I'm thinking it was just tracked.

Only one question, why the End Title did not included? Anyway, ordered.

The end title uses two cues: "Meet the Queen"(track 1, disc 1) or "Arthur's Fanfare" (track 1, disc 2) and "Camelot Lives" (track 24, disc 1) or "Promise Me" (track 2, disc 2).

Well there's a perfect sounding bootleg of this, so maybe it won't sell out so fast

the wedding cue is basically the one I wanted that wasn't on the OST

Hmmm, I created a thread about this 2 days ago and it was promplty closed even though I accidentally put Intrada on it. Now the admin decided to make his own thread. Oh well, you can have the glory. ;)

I'm still on the fence about this one. I wonder if the mastering is much better than the boot.

Yea, as I mentioned at the time, we were already talking about it in the LLL thread when it was announced on April 5th

I'm still on the fence about this one. I wonder if the mastering is much better than the boot.

You can be assured it will sound better than the boot, considering it's coming from Bruce Botnick's first generation master tapes.

If you have the boot and like the score, support LLL buy the score and delete the boot.

Yea, as I mentioned at the time, we were already talking about it in the LLL thread when it was announced on April 5th

Just giving you a hard time. It doesn't bother me one way or the other.

I wonder if the mastering is much better than the boot.

The fact that a boot exists in good quality should never defer you from buying a legitimate release. Especially if you like the score. Purchase legally to help out the label, the artist, and the film score community in general.

You can be assured it will sound better than the boot, considering it's coming from Bruce Botnick's first generation master tapes.

If you have the boot and like the score, support LLL and buy it and delete the boot.

Yeah, I know. I'm trying to figure out how I could get this as a present to my wife on Mother's Day and get away with it.

But does owning the boot make it a moral obligation for one to buy this release?

And because one has the boot, does it automatically preclude that I buy this release many years later? What if I didn't like the music on the boot but still own it? I morally have to buy it because I already have a copy?

What if one never knew this release happened but had the boot?

But I digress, it's not that I don't want to buy it.

But does owning the boot make it a moral obligation for one to buy this release?

Does a moral compass guide your actions? If not, then you don't have to.

I will buy First Knight, but since it won't run out this week, I don't feel the pressure to get it now. That loud audible glitch in one track of my boot kinda sealed it.

Besides, in my twisted little world, if I dump a lot of money on scores one week, I can pretend it didn't happen next week, when I haven't bought anything.

One of these days, I'm going to post a photo of my backlog.

I am hoping this release will last a couple of months so I can get it. It is one of my favourite 90's scores from Goldsmith. And I had to choose between the MOH box and this and the MOH won by a meager margin.