Jerry Goldsmith's First Knight (La-La Land 2CD Complete)

Jay

I am hoping this release will last a couple of months so I can get it. It is one of my favourite 90's scores from Goldsmith. And I had to choose between the MOH box and this and the MOH won by a meager margin.

If there's any indication it's possible it will. MV stated Star Trek V was selling like hot-cakes when that was released but it took 4 months to sell out. At 5,000 copies it should be around for possibly as long as Star Trek V was.

Yea, this could take a year to sell out

They probably will have sold the first 3000 copies by the end of the week. But the last 2000 copies, those will last a while.

Heck, Independence Day was at 5000 copies and is still in print a year later,

This thread was there before yours, honey!

blah!

Perhaps you feel you are being treated unfairly?

We cool. We cool.

Good. It would be unfortunate if I had to leave a garrison here.

Yea, this could take a year to sell out

They probably will have sold the first 3000 copies by the end of the week. But the last 2000 copies, those will last a while.

Heck, Independence Day was at 5000 copies and is still in print a year later,

This (and the fact I have no money) is why I'm waiting. I've done this with many of the bigger edition scores lately.

yea, I still don't have Poltergeist, Patton, Great Escape, of First Blood for the same reason

First Knight will have to wait for a while for me.

I've spent a great deal more than I should last month and this one (Poltergeist (FSM), ID4 (LLL), BSG vol. 1 (Intrada), Testament (FSM, on it's way)), and I need to watch my funding for the weekend.

Not to mention that Uncle Sam wants to tax me to death. :(

yea, I still don't have Poltergeist, Patton, Great Escape, of First Blood for the same reason

LOL! That sounds just like my list, except for Great Escape. The limited edition game really twists buying habits. Poltergeist, Patton, and First Blood are all (basically) unlimited, and yet I will purchase lesser scores first because they may sell out. It's really unfair, in a way, to the labels who go through extra effort to make unlimited editions of important titles. I wonder if they're discouraged that those big name unlimited scores don't sell (presumably) as well as the limited edition scores of lesser reknown.

I know exactly what you mean!

And I betcha in the long run, those unlimited releases sell well... they continually push copies year after year after year and new fans come into the market...... but they must recoup their costs a LOT sooner for the limited edition releases.

This thread was there before yours, honey!

blah!

Perhaps you feel you are being treated unfairly?

We cool. We cool.

Good. It would be unfortunate if I had to leave a garrison here.

"If?" Sheriff, you *are* the garrison!

Poltergeist's not unlimited per se, but at 10,000 copies, you can afford to wait.

I just ordered it, but the other three remain...oh you know the rest.

My wish list only has stuff that's not available to buy digitally, and generally OOP or expensive on CD.

Occasionally I find an album in my collection is available digitally and I buy it, but there's a remarkable amount of scores that are just completely unobtainable legally.

I'm at the moment thinking about getting this score, but is it worth it? What are the highlights?

Can someone post times/moments of tracks which show how good this score is (that i can check it out on youtube).

I also want to pick up another one of Williams older scores, but have no clue what may be the best choice.

What do you think, which of these scores would you recommend to get first?

None but the Brave

Accidental Tourist

How to steal a Million/ Bachelor Flat

Cinderella Liberty

Also is Goldsmith's Alien worth it? I fear too much uncomfortable disharmonies...

Alien is an amazing score and the Intrada release is completely flawless, preserving everything recorded for the film and presenting it in the absolutely best way possible. Top notch Intrada release!

Out of the 4 Williams you listed, Accidental Tourist is (like Intrada's Alien actually) an unlimited release, so you can get it at any time.

None But The Brave is an FSM release limited to 3,000 copies, but FSM doesn't update their quantities so its unknown how long it'll be in print.

However, Intrada's Cinderella Liberty has less than 220 copies in stock and How To Steal A Million / Bachelor Flat had less than 540, both at last check. See here:

http://www.jwfan.com...showtopic=18835

Alien is an amazing score and the Intrada release is completely flawless, preserving everything recorded for the film and presenting it in the absolutely best way possible. Top notch Intrada release!

You said it, man. It's an absolute gem, a must-have. SF1_freeze, ORDER IT! :D

P. S.: Wow, my 3000th post! ^_^

• 1 month later...

You said it, man. It's an absolute gem, a must-have. SF1_freeze, ORDER IT! :D

P. S.: Wow, my 3000th post! ^_^

I probably will order Alien soon. Would then be my second Goldmith right next to the fabulous complete Star Trek V.

I would be interested in opinions on the First Knight album. Is it worth it? What are the best tracks?

I would be interested in opinions on the First Knight album. Is it worth it? What are the best tracks?

I did this suite once. It should give you enough to decide.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb75dy_jerry-goldsmith-fk-suite_music

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have this one yet? Any thoughts?

I know I'm late on this but I do have it and it honestly this is well worth every penny. It blows the bootleg out of the water (literally). It's one of Jerry's rarest scores where he uses absolutely non of his signature synths.

If you love JG in action/adventure mode with a rousing main theme, a lyrical love theme and a string of excellent action set pieces then The First Knight is right up your alley. LLL set truly blows any boot out of the water and is a comprehensive presentation of the score with a relatively cheap price at that. Definitely one of the most rousing scores of the 90's from the maestro Goldsmith.

I'd say the entire album is worth the blast of fanfare in "The Cave"

Easily the most rousing set of notes put to paper in the 90s.

A New Life alone was always reason enough to have the original album. And all the Lancelot stuff makes the expansion a must.

I own the OST and it's quite good, but there's something something about it that that prevents it from really taking-off. The same thing happened with ST V, which was then completely resolved by La-La Land's album. So I kind of expect a similar kind of reaction to it.

Karol

I used to have the OST way back when, and ended up eventually getting rid of it, since it really didn't do anything for me, and felt really repetitive, IMHO.

However... the LLL release is just fantastic. It really changed my opinion of the score, maybe because it's expanded it has more variety, I don't know, but I'm a much bigger fan of the score than I used to be. And that's thanks to LLL.

Your mileage may vary. :)

I own the OST and it's quite good, but there's something something about it that that prevents it from really taking-off. The same thing happened with ST V, which was then completely resolved by La-La Land's album. So I kind of expect a similar kind of reaction to it.

That's quite possible, actually, as all the Lancelot material was excised from the original album.

• 9 months later...

So I heard a bit of this score today and really liked what I heard. It seems like some people were on the fence with this one, and even the LLL release. Has anyone since gotten this score? What are your thoughts on it as a whole? Is it really one of Goldsmith's better scores?

It's a very solid score. Not my favourite Goldsmith, but you can't go far wrong with it. If you have any affinity for his adventure scores, it's a safe buy.

Karol

Oh, it works well as an album. Goldsmith in general was a good album producer (much better than Williams, in my opinion). But in this case, the complete soundtrack is like another full score in addition to the one that already was on the OST.

• 7 years later...

Long before the expanded release, I had an expanded bootleg of this, believe it or not. There were a couple of highlights there that could have easily been inserted into the OST without losing too much of the listening flow, had it been possible, but other than that -- not worth my time.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

One of my favorite late career Goldsmiths. Arthur's Farewell, Never Surrender and Camelot Lives are perfection.

I dislike all this stuff (except for the Brucknerian finale). It's Goldsmith at his most cumbersome. The athletic and regal material is aces, though.

• 1 year later...

It is a hard toss-up between Lionheart and First Knight. First Knight obviously has better action material but Lionheart has a more rousing main theme and more haunting love theme. It also has more themes and interplay in general. First Knight has a much more mature sound though and its finale is truly heartbreaking so it might be the more accomplished composition overall. Tough. Tough tough tough tough tough.