Jerry Goldsmith's First Knight (La-La Land 2CD Complete)

Jay

15 hours ago, DangerMotif said:

@Yavar MoradiAny other Goldsmith recommendations for someone who thinks Arthur’s Farewell is one of the best pieces of music ever?

My copy is coming this week.

Vaughan Williams (RVW) Symphony 6, 1st movement... sorry, couldn't resist. Although (and sorry to not really answer the question), I had RVW's 6th lined up on my phone while travelling immediately after First Knight, totally coincidentally so went from Jerry doing his version of a very similar motif. In fairness, both composers do very different things with it, as you might imagine, but RVW never really seems the kind of composer that someone like Jerry would have been influenced by (see also Klingon theme and RVW Symphony 4).

I genuinely can't think of anything similar in Jerry's output though... I'll be interested to hear @Yavar Moradi's thoughts too!

I get that folks may think that First Knight is not top tier JG, and I largely agree. When I got the CD in 1995, it sounded like a rushed version of Lionheart (which it was, replacing Jarre). The love theme pales in comparison to The Lake from Lionheart - the depth of sound is shallow.

I don't know if JG at this point just was not that interested in composing pure orchestral work, but it sounds much less inspired than the other synth-infested work done at the time, including Congo and The Shadow.

Watching the film was a different thing. Not only Lancelot's theme but many key action sequences with inventive JG klockenspiel etc dynamics totally missing from the 40 minutes long album.

At the same time, it has this powerhouse (which goes into that category of massively rushed JG scores with a massive set-piece - see Air Force One and Hijacking):

• 9 months later...

Taste is a funny thing. I know some folks who like other 90s Goldsmith but this isn’t their cup of tea. Maybe it’s the central romance (or lack of synths)? Dunno, but I find a lot to love in this score even though Lionheart is way better 😉.

Yavar