Don't you think this a litte too much praise?

Romão

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Ah, so you're taking the easy way out and blaming it on me? Except you joined the forum long before I even started that thread! Ha!

Look I either blame you or Conrad Pope, and it seemed unfair to put this one on the latter.

Looks like another one of those Trekker nerds. I'll not get on with him. 

On 01/12/2016 at 7:58 PM, Jay said:

I listened to the FOTR OST in the car this morning and was as moved by the finale cue as ever before.  It might just be the best film score of all time.

Not for me it isn't. It's stunning for sure, but played out like that pop song the radio wouldn't give up all through summer. It's the Uptown Funk of movie cues... 

Shore's Fellowship of the Ring is an utter masterpiece regardless of course. 

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Not for me it isn't. It's stunning for sure, but played out like that pop song the radio wouldn't give up all through summer. It's the Uptown Funk of movie cues... 

Shore's Fellowship of the Ring is an utter masterpiece regardless of course. 

I think you read my post wrong.  I did not say that cue was the best cue of all time, I said the score as a whole might be the best score of all time.

• 1 month later...
On 20/12/2002 at 2:14 AM, Romão said:

I was reading musicfromthemovies' review of TTT score, and I stumbled upon this sentence:

" What Howard Shore is currently conceiving with his music for the Lord Of The Rings trilogy is simply the most remarkable film music composed since John Williams wrote his groundbreaking scores for the initial Star Wars trilogy.

I have to say, Romão, that, after listening to all three scores on the DVD-As of the box-sets, that the statement is 100% accurate, and not hyperbole. These scores are a stunning achievement.

It is more complex, and it is ccertainly more challenging.

That post was 14 years ago, but apart from bits and pieces here and there, I still don't get a kick out of those scores that many of you do. And that saddens me. And I've really tried

I feel the same as you about Gia, but somehow I don't feel like I'm missing much. Whereas with the LOTR scores, there's definitely stuff to sink your teeth into

10 hours ago, Romão said:

That post was 14 years ago, but apart from bits and pieces here and there, I still don't get a kick out of those scores that many of you do. And that saddens me. And I've really tried

Don't worry, Romão, it's possible to appreciate a score, without ever liking it.

• 4 weeks later...

I laugh at the idea of the Silmarillion as a trilogy. 

It's made up of a bunch of tales which don't really tell a unified story. 

1 hour ago, JohnSolo said:

So the Hobbit can be adapted into a film trilogy, but the Silmarillion can't?

Because that worked out so great, didn't it?...

Besides, the Silmarillion is on a whole other playing field. The Hobbit tells a largely straightforward narrative, while the Silmarillion is a far grander epic that spans many generations and covers many individual stories. If anything, it's better suited for a mini-series.

The Silmarillion is better suited for a television series or miniseries. It's episodic in nature. Little stories that jump ahead by centuries or around a now-sunken continent, starring many characters that would not get a lot of screen time. 

I think the most compelling way to turn it into a film and/or TV series would be to make Sauron the central character. Was he always evil? Why did he turn to evil? Did he do it for love? Shit, I got this confused with another prequel.

After all, much of The Hobbit's padding was spent discussing this dark cloud and how it was amassing an army. Sauron's adventures on Numenor would predate his Ring and his Nazgul. 

Trying to turn The Silmarillion into a movie is like someone saying, well, Ben-Hur made a great movie, The Passion was a success, Jesus Christ Superstar was good, so let's turn the whole Bible into a movie. The Silmarillion is basically Tolkien's Bible. A bunch of small stories with a centuries long arc that's too ambitious to film. 

If you really want your Silmarillion trilogy, you spend the first two movies discussing the creation of the world, Valinor, Melkor, the Silmarils, Gondolin, and you end with Melkor's exile. The third movie would be tacked on to show Al-Pharazon and the fall of Numenor, to connect to the events mentioned in TLOTR. 

The Hobbit is almost the antithesis to the Silmarillion. Don't understand why one would draw conclusions from the Hobbit about a potential Silmarillion film series.

Christopher Tolkien's been adament about not selling the film rights, but he won't live forever, and heck, the works will be in the public domain eventually

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Christopher Tolkien's been adament about not selling the film rights, but he won't live forever, and heck, the works will be in the public domain eventually

I think it's 70 years after the author's death (starting from the 1st January the following year) in the U.K. so that would be 2044 for Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

Silmarillion and UT etc. Could be 70 years from Christopher Tolkien's death if it was copyrighted with him as a co-author. 

Yeah but who cares what happens after our lifetime? We've ensure that the planet won't last long beyond it anyway!