Passion Of The Christ 2CD [John Debney]

anakinbetrayal

Hi everybody !

On my website, somebody posted a message, telling me it exists a complete score 2 CD from The Passion Of The Christ. This person gave me a tracks list :

http://mysoundtracks.kazeo.com/Debney-john-1-score/The-Passion-of-The-Christ-2003,a495864.html#liste_coms

You just have to see the message on the bottom. There is a tracks list with 17 tracks for the first CD, and 17 tracks for the second one.

Does anybody here who knows what is it exactly ?

Yes (although i know of 22 tracks in each disc.). they are the recording sessions..

edit: oh, ignore the above. i just saw somehwere they say it's fake.

It's the passion of christ score along with the stoning of soraya score. they're similar..

there must be a 3rd score too in there..

There has been no additional CDs, or unreleased cues (at least not on his current site) released.

There was about 26 minutes if Jack Lenz rejected score on his old site, but that's gone now (thankfully I saved that), and there has been nothing from Lisa Gerrard's rejected score, either.

I recall reading somewhere that Lisa Gerrard and Patrick Cassidy were supposed to score. After that, all the Zimmer-ness of the score made sense to me. It doesn't sound like anything Debney has ever done.

The film had a The Last Temptation of Christ in the temp track (which was still in there in the early showings) and you can hear a lot of influences there. And, of course, he did the trailer first as a demo, which he thought should sound like then-fresh Gladiator music. And then we went from there.

Karol

No, Gerrard recorded the score.

Lenz has some kind of credit (I don't have the booklet handy) on Debney's release. I'm not sure if that's because some pieces of his are mixed in, or if Debney used any of the exotic instruments recorded by Lenz.

If you're going to count re-recordings, then there's also the suite he performed -- believe it or not -- on Jay Leno. No, it wasn't Puff Diddy, Spears, or some other musical garbage, it was John Debney one night.

If you're going to count re-recordings, then there's also the suite he performed -- believe it or not -- on Jay Leno. No, it wasn't Puff Diddy, Spears, or some other musical garbage, it was John Debney one night.

I think I saw that! Very cool.

So a different kind of musical garbage.

So a different kind of musical garbage.

I don't know, the PASSION symphony strikes me as engrossing musical poem for JC Superstar's last hours. It's not far behind Rózsa, theme-wise.

Lenz has some kind of credit (I don't have the booklet handy) on Debney's release. I'm not sure if that's because some pieces of his are mixed in, or if Debney used any of the exotic instruments recorded by Lenz.

Lenz has a composing credit for tracks 1, 8, 10, and 13.

I don't see Gerrard credited anywhere.

I listened to the symphony today and it is not bad, probably better than the actual film score. Of course, as a oratorio it is probably a bit too cheesy but then again that was probably the point. After this the product of pop culture. Debney clearly cared for this work. We could use a proper recording of this.

Karol

Lenz has a composing credit for tracks 1, 8, 10, and 13.

I don't see Gerrard credited anywhere.

'cause none of her's was used.

I'll have to compare the tracks against the ones I ripped from Lenz's old site -- see if it is. I'm thinking it might not be, but rather a fancy credit and it is like I assumed earlier -- use of the pre-recorded foreign instruments.

I still have to solve whether Portman did any score.

I listened to the symphony today and it is not bad, probably better than the actual film score. Of course, as a oratorio it is probably a bit too cheesy but then again that was probably the point. After this the product of pop culture. Debney clearly cared for this work. We could use a proper recording of this.

Karol

I had the luck to attend rehearsals and to see the world premiere of this piece--Debney premiered it in Rome in 2005.

I personally liked it much more than the actual film score, which is unfortunately ridden with faux-world music clichés. While the Oratorio isn't a stellar piece, Debney put some serious musicianship into it. It's probably a bit too Hollywood-esque in places, but overall it's a very nice piece.

What was a bit strange to witness during rehearsals was that orchestrator Kevin Kaska was very much the key man on the podium when talking with the orchestra about intonation, expressivity and phrasing, even though Debney was the conductor.

Hollywood-esque is a good way to describe it indeed. But there is some lovely choral writing in a style of a "classical mass" which makes up for the more melodramatic orchestra. But, surprisingly, it has more in common with the biblical films of old than with the new approach (Rozsa, Newman, Bernstein and such). Even Lisbeth Scott sounds a bit less new agey here. And, of course, the contribution of the ethnic woodwinds is tastefully kept to minimum. Which ultimately makes it a better recommendation for those people who liked a more choral and orchestral passages from this score and wanted to hear more of that.

It reminds me more of what Danna brothers did with The Gospel of John and The Nativity Story.

Karol

• 2 years later...

Hi there, any one can help me to get The Passion of the Christ rejected score by JACK LENZ as( a 26 mins, that was posted on his site).... i know it's a long time ago''years'', but you know it's not available to get them since lenz's site is down now...... sorry for asking for that here....thanks.

Sorry for that( i know it's the big mastero JW fan forum), but nothing-nothing out there, i am only asking for that cause i didn't get the chance to get those tracks years years ago, it's only if anyone can help me about that please message me.