Michael Giacchino - Cars 2

Jay

No doubt I enjoyed this more than Up. That score had the emotion going for it but I found the incidental and action music curiously lacking.

This score seems more musically consistent to me and I'd like to listen again, but it just had no truly standout tracks that make me play them 10 times in a row.

But this is all from a context of not being a Giacchino fan. I like some of his stuff, not all.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a case of Giacchino not really knowing how to handle this film or finding something to draw from. The reviews have been very unkind and the plot sounded muddled to begin with. The music is fun, not great, but then every composer has a score that feels like it lacks something.

I sound like a broken record but I'll take Cars 2 over a bunch of stuff being composed now.

- Blume who's heard from his Pixar contacts Cars 2 has been an extremely difficult production.

That's someone at Pixar's diplomatic way of saying "we dropped the ball." ;)

they should have never made part 2. I dont think Cars one was that popular in cinemas (i think it was popular in merchandise...)

Talking cars look is rather odd IMO.

Animals is another matter.

I sound like a broken record but I'll take Cars 2 over a bunch of stuff being composed now.

Come on, Mark, i cannot hear this old warhorse, how even the most mundane score by composer X is better than whatever else is written at the moment. The moment i saw this comment attached to scores like GREEN LANTERN or ALONG CAME A SPIDER, i knew it's BS. ;)

Serves them well for next time...

If the merchandise from this film is as successful as the first one, we'll be seeing Cars 3.

Come on, Mark, i cannot hear this old warhorse, how even the most mundane score by composer X is better than whatever else is written at the moment. The moment i saw this comment attached to scores like GREEN LANTERN or ALONG CAME A SPIDER, i knew it's BS. ;)

I'll take Along Came A Spider as well, although that score has some meaning to me, believe it or not. It was the first date my wife and I went on and that was the film we saw.

If the merchandise from this film is as successful as the first one, we'll be seeing Cars 3.

i hope Giacchino is not attached to it then...

This is probably a score that will work really well in the movie, but outside it doesn't hold on it's own. I mean I can really see the action scenes working perfectly (they did for Speed Racer, can't see how it wouldn't for Cars 2). The slow scenes/underscoring has the Giacchino touch, so it's good too.

It's the case for most Pixar scores actually...

The film is not doing well with critics so far. It has a rating of 44% fresh on RT, which is pathetic when compared to the high 90s commanded by most Pixar films, or even the respectable 74% given to the original film (which I, like critics, found to be Pixar's worst film to date). This is really saddening...based on the bits and pieces I've seen in some trailers and whatnot, my gut feeling was not a good one, but I wasn't expecting such a comparatively negative critical reaction to the film. I guess it had to happen sooner or later. And the film will certainly help the merch continue to sell spectacularly, which will at least make Disney (if not Pixar) happy.

The good news is that Cars Land is continuing to take shape at Disney California Adventure, and that one isn't going to be a dud by a long shot.

I dunno about that. Pixar has never made a movie that was critically disliked. Anything could happen at this point, I suppose, even if the merchandise is successful. I think Disney would just force Pixar to make a sequel to another one of their films that would be similarly lucrative, rather than a Cars 3.

Disney can't force Pixar to do that.

Those don't come out this year.

I know. I'm just saying that Cars 2 is not the end of the world. That will happen when they close Studio Ghibli.

I thought that was why Disney bought Pixar. They were going to make their own Toy Story sequel as Pixar didn't want to, but then they just acquired Pixar to do it anyways. I recall reading years ago from somebody at Pixar that they didn't really want to do any sequels. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I thought that was why Disney bought Pixar. They were going to make their own Toy Story sequel as Pixar didn't want to, but then they just acquired Pixar to do it anyways. I recall reading years ago from somebody at Pixar that they didn't really want to do any sequels. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

As far as I know, the Toy Story situation went like this: Disney, that then was only the distributor, had rights to do more Toy Story, but Pixar intervened and they said that if there was ever going to be more Toy Story they would do it, with their own scripts.

Then at some point Disney was no longer going to be the distributor and that scared the shit outta them so they paid a lot to buy Pixar, which also meant some Pixars would take over some jobs at Disney. So I believe it is Pixar now the one that decides what they do.

But then again this is kind of confusing.

If my memory is correct:

At the time Disney's distribution deal with Pixar was expiring, however Disney held the rights to the Toy Story Characters and other characters created by Pixar under the current deal. The dist. deal at the time did not favor Pixar and was loaded in Disney's favor. so Pixar was going to seek a new dist partner. Disney was going to make Toy Story 3 without Pixar, however they lacked both the artists and software to do so. It probably would have looked like crap.

So basically they came up with a deal to keep distributing Pixar films, part of that deal included John Lasseter also assuming head of Disney's animation dept in order to get it back on track where it was during the 90's when it it's peak with traditional animated films.

Part of that meant Disney would stop with the sequels to their animated films, not Pixar's. So no more Lion King 3 or Cinderella 3 etc etc.

I had a feeling that it would only be a matter of time before money somehow overtook creative inspiration with Pixar. Especially when a money-sucking corporation like Disney is hovering over your shoulder.

Hopefully it's not a 'bad' film. I mean the first one wasn't bad; it just wasn't up to their usual standards.

Pixar was sold to Disney basically on implied autonomy through Steve Jobs and John Lasseter. John would head Disney Animation and report directly to Bob Iger (the Disney CEO).

Steve Jobs would be the single biggest shareholder of Disney and sit on the board and the steering committees. But now that he is running into health troubles, god knows what will become of the Pixar-Disney dynamic.

From what I understand though, this was just a bad production, and it wasn't purely a cash-cow related failure.

That's what happens when you base making a film on a 3 billion dollar "global merchandising for boys" decision, rather than following their passion. I'm sure it will be fun, though.

Cars 2 is officially Pixar's first "rotten" movie

http://www.rottentom...s.com/m/cars_2/

The previously lowest rated Pixar movie was Cars, which is the only Pixar movie under 90% (It's at 74%)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cars

This must also be the lowest rated movie that has a Giacchino score; He generally has selected pretty good projects over the years

Ebert gave it 3-1/2 stars.

;)

I actually liked the first Cars film, I've always felt A Bug's Life was Pixar's worst film.

However it appears one of the main gripes about Cars 2 is

the story focusing more on Mater and pushing McQueen to a secondary character. Larry The Cable Guy is best in small doses, like the first film.

Of course! How could I forget about Land of the Lost!

I still haven't even picked up the OST on physical CD

The good news is that Cars Land is continuing to take shape at Disney California Adventure, and that one isn't going to be a dud by a long shot.

Cars Land will easily best its own source material. That E-Ticket built with the Test Track technology has me drooling.

Cars Land will easily best its own source material. That E-Ticket built with the Test Track technology has me drooling.

I agree completely. Radiator Springs Racers is going to be an instant classic, I think, and an incredibly fun ride to boot.

Saw the movie. Was lots of fun. Unlike the last two, didn't make me tear up. I think the critics have been unfair to this. Enjoy the score a bit more as well.

Hahaha. I didn't expect one about toys to, either. However, it took every inch of my energy to to start bawling at the end of Toy Story 3.

I saw this with the kids today. It was better than it is getting reviewed. Pixar's weakest? I'd say so...but it was fun. The kids enjoyed it.

The score works much better in the film than as a standalone listening experience.

If this is Pixar's first disappointment, it's better than a lot of successes out there by others. I didn't love it by any means, but it was much better than expected based on the bad buzz.

I may wait to rent it just for budgetary reasons, but I will see this. The first Cars has some funny bits, but its strength is really in its nostalgia and Americana elements. The scene when they

light up the town like it was in its heyday

is rather wonderful, I think.

Only $68 million opening weekend. ;)

Not bad but it did under perform as far as the amount of tickets sold.

I've got quite a few albums ahead of this one in my new score pile, it may be a month before I hear it. I'm honestly scared my opinion will be swayed by all this negative word it's been getting.

I don't worry about the film.

I will say the songs are dreadful or of little consequence. I didn't add them to itunes.