Upcoming Scoring Assignments

Jay

Harry Gregson Williams on Michael Mann, and his score to Blackhat:

Dear all,
I would like it to be known for what it’s worth that the ‘score’ for Blackhat maybe credited to me, but contains almost none of my compositions. I attended the premiere of the movie at the end of last week and discovered, to my horror, music that shocked and surprised me…quasi emotional (synth) string pieces that I’d never heard in my life before. I knew of at least one other composer, a good one at that(!), that had put in months of work on this movie just as I had, but this appeared to me to be in addition to both our contributions. To be honest, I’m not sure, as I’m having a hard time understanding what I heard and why it was there and I can say nothing for certain except that I was not the author of most of what is now in the movie. I feel like I want to point this out for anyone who like me cares about these things, as my name is right there listed as the lead composer and one would expect that credit to mean something, but it doesn’t. And I do care about that.
I therefore reluctantly join the long list of composers who have had their scores either sliced and diced mercilessly or ignored completely by Michael Mann. This is his film and these are his decisions and I do respect that, but see no reason to have people mistake this score for one that I composed, or in any way approved of musically. The 90 minutes of score that I did write and deliver is, as I’ve said, mostly unused.
I would still encourage you to check out his movie, as you may enjoy it.
Harry

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152673303024021&id=13725844020

Beck is the new Djawadi!

I liked dwads work for the Strain. I have elevated hopes for Brian Tyler's score for ultron.

Just noticed that Mason Bates is scoring Gus van Sant's Sea of Trees. I was already anticipating that film but that's an interesting and commendable choice, to bring someone from the "concert" world into the fold. Bates does some very interesting stuff, and he was a Corigliano student. :beerchug:

I wonder what this means for Trank's approach to the score for his 2018 Star Wars spinoff. Might he go for an odd choice/combination there, too?

Much stranger!

Those were in the days of the old studio system. It was much more common to pit big names together like that, especially due to contractual obligations. Besides, they divided duties, and it was time due a time crunch.

Glass and Beltrami are in a different situation, and have more contrasting styles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can somebody clear a doubt for me? Menken is listed on IMDb as doing the upcoming Disney film Moana, but the last time I checked Mark Mancina was doing that. Doing a little research, at the Annie Awards the directors apparently announced Menken was working on the score. But not much links point to that, the bit itself around the net says:

During the 2015 Annie Awards Ron Clements en John Musker, directors of Disney’s Moana, revealed that Alan Menken will write the music for Moana!

http://disney-moana-waialiki.tumblr.com/post/109827841998/moana-news-alan-menken-is-writing-the-music

But there aren't any sources confirming this, so I'm getting more and more confused. Mancina got rejected? Are they co-writing? My most likely guess is nothing was actually announced at the Annie's and this is just a false internet rumour, but hey, Menken collaborating with Mancina doesn't sound bad at all. The Lion King finally together with Beauty and the Beast.

The movie opens in November of 2016. It's possible no final decisions have been made yet. Certainly nothing's been recorded. Between now and then, a lot can change.

Perhaps Menken will be doing the songs and Mancina the score?

Could be, though it seems strange that Menken isn't doing the score himself.

The movie opens in November of 2016. It's possible no final decisions have been made yet. Certainly nothing's been recorded. Between now and then, a lot can change.

Yeah, it's just strange that they announced Mancina so early.

• 3 weeks later...

Zimmer and Balfe have replaced Christophe Beck for Terminator Genisys

http://www.theterminatorfans.com/exclusive-terminator-genisys-composer-replaced-with-lorne-balfe-executive-produced-by-hans-zimmer/

No idea if Beck had written or recorded anything yet

• 4 weeks later...

Glass co-scored Watchmen!

;)

I thought Glass was originally planned to score watchmen but it ended up being just one queue. I wonder if that's the same thing here.

What?

Didn't early watchmen posters only list glass and later ones didn't mention him at all (but one track was licensed)? Different than co composed.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed that Mason Bates is scoring Gus van Sant's Sea of Trees. I was already anticipating that film but that's an interesting and commendable choice, to bring someone from the "concert" world into the fold. Bates does some very interesting stuff, and he was a Corigliano student. :beerchug:

First clip of the film, featuring a bit of (presumably) Bates' score:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Marco Beltrami has been hired to score the upcoming epic historical drama Ben-Hur.

Marco Beltrami has been hired to score the upcoming epic historical drama Ben-Hur. The film is directed by Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted, Night Watch, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter) and stars Jack Huston as Judah Ben-Hur, Morgan Freeman as Ilderim, Toby Kebbell as Messala, Nazanin Boniadi as Esther and Rodrigo Santoro and as Jesus Christ. Sofia Black D’Elia, Ayelet Zurer, Moises Arias and Pilou Asbæk are co-starring. The movie is based on Lew Wallace’s epic novel Ben-Hur: A Tale of The Christ and follows a falsely accused nobleman who survives years of slavery to take vengeance on his best friend who betrayed him. Keith Clarke (The Way Back) and John Ridley (12 Years a Slave) have written the screenplay. Sean Daniel (The Mummy franchise, Dazed and Confused), Mark Burnett (Son of God, The Bible), Joni Levin (The Way Back) and Duncan Henderson (Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, Oblivion) are producing the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures and Paramount Pictures production. Ben-Hur is set to be released on Februrary 26, 2016.
Beltrami’s latest project, Fantastic Four, is opening nationwide this coming weekend. The composer has also recently been recording his score for Alex Proyas’ Gods of Egypt in Australia. His other upcoming projects include Hitman: Agent 47, which is set to open on August 21, 2015 and No Escape (previously entitled The Coup), which will be released on August 26, 2016.
Source: http://filmmusicrepo...betovs-ben-hur/