Upcoming Scoring Assignments

Jay

What a shame, Silvestri's Captain America was very good.

Oh well I'm saving money but not having to buy all these crappy scores. It's hard to believe there will be only one score from all the summer blockbusters this year that I will end up buying, well I've already bought it.

There was a time when I would have grabbed a bunch of the summer flicks. Oh well, different era that had much better composers and studio heads who appreciated good music in films.

• 3 weeks later...

And the replacement composer is none other than Brian Tyler:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/06/18/brian-tyler-to-score-thor-the-dark-world/

Well, Brian Tyler is also scoring next summer's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot by Michael Bay (same source as above)

I am not sure if anyone is interested here (i had started a thread at FSM) but as it turns out, Rachel Portman will be scoring the upcoming biopic about princess Diana, called "DIANA".

Looking forward to it, escpecially if it's along the lines of "Never let me Go".

Well we complained about the lack of musical continuity with all these different composers.

Now we're getting a steady dose of one.

^The other 'next Goldsmith'

This "next Goldsmith" didn't really break through at any point. He has sort of been there since Scream. I feel that Beltrami has always been rather workman-like in his output apart from a few surprising gems like Soul Surfer and Hellboy. But I guess long term endurance in film scoring business is better than overnight 15 minutes of fame (I am looking at you Gustavo Santaolalla and Ludovic Bource).

Which of the Hollywood composers in the last 15 years is not best characterized by the term 'workmanlike'? Horner, Elfman, JNH, Zimmer, Silvestri, you name it.

This "next Goldsmith" didn't really break through at any point. He has sort of been there since Scream. I feel that Beltrami has always been rather workman-like in his output apart from a few surprising gems like Soul Surfer and Hellboy. But I guess long term endurance in film scoring business is better than overnight 15 minutes of fame (I am looking at you Gustavo Santaolalla and Ludovic Bource).

Well like his mentor, he excels in B-movies.

• 2 weeks later...

OH MY GOODNESS!

That is seriously the most shocking film-score-replacement news I have heard in a long time.

There have already been test screenings of the film with Horner's score in it - check out this FSM thread, where Horner's score is discussed.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=92203&forumID=1&archive=0

I was really looking forward to it, it sounded like an awesome score!!

Ender's Game.

I don't think Horner even started recording on Ender's Game... was it a Silvestri type situation where he did some demo cues and the producers didn't like it? I think R&J is the first Horner score where he'd composed and recorded an complete score that got scrapped.

Correct, he didn't record anything, or even write anything. It's just the closest I could think of.

I think R&J is the first Horner score where he'd composed and recorded an complete score that got scrapped.

He was thrown off STREETS OF FIRE; YOUNG GUNS and HEAVEN HELP US.

So is this the start of his decline? Will he go the same route that befell John Barry, Maurice Jarre, Elmer Bernstein, even Jerry Goldsmith?

I like his music for Both "Hellboy", and "The Omen".

• 2 weeks later...

Really? Well Hornsby isn't a film composer, older rock musician. Nyman scored Gattaca, and I think primarily sticks to concert works in recent years. I think it's an inspired choice. Marian will certainly be happy. I think Karol likes him as well.

Michael Nyman's score is rejected!

From his Facebook page:

OLDBOY UPDATE!!!! Spike Lee loves my score. Unfortunately the producers, Matt Leonetti and Audrey Something-or-Other [of WeTakethePiss Productions] don't like the soundtrack and [despite, or because of, their boast that 'we know nothing about music'] have rejected it. But at least some good comes out of it: my 11th Symphony will be called 'Spiked' [by analogy with journalists' work which is commissioned, printed in galley proof form, rejected and consigned to oblivion by being hung on a spike sticking out of the wall close to the editor's desk].