Upcoming Scoring Assignments

Jay

• 4 weeks later...

Mark Snow Scoring Josh Boone’s ‘The New Mutants’

Mark Snow (The X-Files, Millennium, Smallville) has composed the original score for the upcoming X-Men spinoff The New Mutants. The film is directed by Josh Boone (The Fault in Our Stars) and stars Maisie Williams, Anya Taylor-Joy, Charlie Heaton, Alice Braga, Blu Hunt and Henry Zaga. The horror thriller is set in an isolated hospital where a group of young mutants is being held for psychiatric monitoring. When strange occurrences begin to take place, both their new mutant abilities and their friendships will be tested as they battle to try and make it out alive. Boone also co-wrote the screenplay with Knate Lee (Kidnap). Simon Kinberg (The Martian, Cinderella), Karen Rosenfelt (The Twilight Saga) and Lauren Shuler Donner (Logan, Deadpool) are producing the project. The movie will also feature additional music by Nate Walcott & Mike Mogis who were originally announced as the film’s composers. The New Mutants is set to be released in theaters nationwide on April 3, 2020 by 20th Century Pictures.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/02/19/mark-snow-scoring-josh-boones-the-new-mutants/

I want an X Files season 12. I loved the new seasons, and it's simply annoying that they would resurrect the series because the original series didn't end in a satisfactory way, and then it ended opened ended AGAIN 

Snow did the 2008 X-Files movie about a paedophilic priest, or something. I remember it came out right when I was watching obsessively the DVD box sets of the old show, so I was as much an excer as it could be six years after the show ended.

I don't remember much about that movie, it's kind of a black sheep in amidst the X-Files history. Fans don't care, creators pretend it never happened...

Years waiting to find out what happened after the 2002 finale and they give us a weird movie about a priest in prison for child abuse...

The movie will also feature additional music by Nate Walcott & Mike Mogis who were originally announced as the film’s composers.

So what's the deal here? Did they make a whole score that was rejected, or did they only ever make a few pieces? Either way, not sure if this should intrude on my potential excitement, since Snow doing this film does peak my interest in spite of not being familiar with him.

Suppose they're rather lucky that they at least made it to the film partially, unlike Romer.

• 2 months later...

Daft Punk to Compose Music for Dario Argento’s ‘Black Glasses’ (‘Occhiali Neri’)

Director Dario Argento (Suspiria, Inferno, Opera, Trauma) revealed in a recent interview with Repubblica (via The Film Stage) that the French electronic music duo Daft Punk are set to compose the music for his upcoming feature Black Glasses (Occhiali Neri). The movie will star Asia Argento and is being described as his return to crime films . No plot details have been announced yet. Argento also co-wrote the screenplay and Luciano Tovoli will serve as the director of photography, Daft Punk have made their scoring debut on 2010’s Tron: Legacy. Black Glasses was originally set to start shooting this May and is currently targeting a production start date this fall.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/04/27/daft-punk-to-compose-music-for-dario-argentos-black-glasses-occhiali-neri/

This statement reflects Argento’s desire to work with Daft Punk, however there has been no agreement nor discussions between both parties.

So it's not exactly out of the question, but it isn't a guarantee either.

Either way, I'll be super excited if it actually comes to fruition. It's been 7 years since RAM released and 10 since TL, so I've been aching for some new pure DP material. Being that this is Argento we're talking about, it seems very likely to me that this will be closer to their regular work than TRON. It's always possible they can bring back Trapanese and others, but a project like what's being described doesn't sound like it'd need the full orchestral treatment. Especially being these are guys that never like repeating past successes 100%. Let's just see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Mark Isham Scoring HBO’s ‘The Nevers’

Mark Isham (Crash, Once Upon a Time, A River Runs Through It, Miracle, Warrior, The Accountant) is the composer of the new HBO original series The Nevers. The show is created by Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Marvel’s The Avengers) and stars Laura Donnelly, Ann Skelly, Olivia Williams, James Norton, Tom Riley, Rochelle Neil, Eleanor Tomlinson, Amy Manson, Pip Torrens, Denis O’Hare, Zackary Momoh, Elizabeth Berrington, Kiran Sonia Sawar, Anna Devlin, Viola Prettejohn, Ella Smith, Nick Frost and Ben Chaplin. The sci-fi drama is set in the late 19th Century, when Victorian London is rocked to its foundations by a supernatural event which gives certain people – mostly women – abnormal abilities, from the wondrous to the disturbing. Whedon also serves as an executive producer on the the Mutant Enemy production, alongside Bernadette Caulfield (Game of Thrones), Ilene S. Landress (The Sopranos, Girls), Doug Petrie (Daredevil, The Defenders), Jane Espenson (Caprica) and showrunner Philippa Goslett (Mary Magdalene). The Nevers will premiere on April 11 on HBO and will also be available to stream on HBO Max.

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/03/31/mark-isham-scoring-hbos-the-nevers/

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2013 at 4:44 PM, Koray Savas said:

Ridley Scott dumps Marc Streitenfeld for... Daniel Pemberton? :blink:

Yeah, who is Daniel Pemberton?

Looking back at this thread, 2013 was such a rollercoaster of rejected scores. Thor: The Dark World (Burwell), 300: Rise of an Empire (Jusid), Ender's Game (Horner), Romeo and Juliet (Horner), Zimmer taking over Spider-Man, Jackman taking over Captain America (still one of the dumbest decisions ever).

On 5/3/2013 at 8:35 PM, Ollie said:

Those films probably deserve the composers they got.

No big loss as I will never see either one.

Warner Bros is probably going to put Zimmer or one of his clones on Godzilla.

This sadly aged well.

13 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Letting go JW from HP was even dumber but yeah losing Silvestri was certainly not very clever

Well at least I like all of the Harry Potter scores. IDK if I would trade JW for Doyle's work.

I wasn't too bothered about John's departure. He wrote three great scores - I was happy to see alternative takes on it musically... in the same way that the tone changed gradually throughout the series.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea maybe Beltrami wasn't even asked, who knows

I guess the director directed some movie called Ready or Not that Tyler scored

• 4 months later...

Poor Desplat has been expelled of a lot of interesting projects lately. First Black Widow, now this... 

I really want to know what made Del Toro to think Johnson is a better choice for the movie than Desplat.

Well if the article is to be believed, it's a situation where they needed to do it in France for whatever reason and Del Toro was unable. And that Desplat is still attached to Del Toro's Pinocchio movie (I believe he's already written songs for it?) 

19 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Poor Desplat has been expelled of a lot of interesting projects lately. First Black Widow, now this... 

Don't forget Rogue One before that!

19 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Desplat is still attached to Del Toro's Pinocchio movie (I believe he's already written songs for it?) 

Yea

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33263-alexandre-desplats-pinocchio-2021

18 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I really want to know what made Del Toro to think Johnson is a better choice for the movie than Desplat.

Perhaps he listened to Knives Out which was quite good and thought that his movie would perfectly suit Johnson

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, Waititi might have gone with Giacchino for Thor 4 over using Mothersbaugh again, but at least Mothersbaugh gets to score Waititi's new HBO Max show:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/02/23/mark-mothersbaugh-scoring-hbo-maxs-our-flag-means-death/

• 2 weeks later...

Marvel’s Disney+ Series ‘Moon Knight’ to Feature Music by Hesham Nazih

Hesham Nazih has composed original music for Marvel’s upcoming Disney+ original series Moon Knight. The show marks the first major English language project of the composer who is best known for scoring numerous Egyptian features and TV shows, including The Blue Elephant, Ibrahim Labyad, Tito and Born a King. It has not been confirmed yet whether Nazih is composing the score for all six episodes, but his contribution is believed to be a major part of the show’s music. The 6-part drama is directed by Mohamed Diab (Amira, Clash, Cairo 678) and Justin Benson & Aaron Moorhead (The Endless, Synchronic) and stars Oscar Isaac, Ethan Hawke and May Calamawy. The series revolves around Steven Grant, a mild-mannered gift-shop employee who becomes plagued with blackouts and memories of another life and discovers he has dissociative identity disorder and shares a body with mercenary Marc Spector. Jeremy Slater (The Umbrella Academy, Fantastic Four) serves as the project’s head writer. Diab, Isaac & Slater are also executive producing the Marvel Studios production with Kevin Feige (Avengers: Endgame, Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy), Louis D’Esposito & Victoria Alonso (WandaVision, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier), Grant Curtis (Spider-Man 3, Drag Me to Hell) and Brad Winderbaum (Hawkeye, What If…?). Moon Knight will premiere on March 30, 2022 on Disney+.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/03/07/marvels-disney-series-moon-knight-to-feature-music-by-hesham-nazih/

• 5 weeks later...

Henry Jackman to Reteam with Joe & Anthony Russo on ‘The Gray Man’

Something tells me that, if it was up to the Russos, Infinity War and Endgame would've been scored by Jackman. Feige was the one who pushed for Silvestri, perhaps against the Russos' wishes.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Henry Jackman to Reteam with Joe & Anthony Russo on ‘The Gray Man’

Something tells me that, if it was up to the Russos, Infinity War and Endgame would've been scored by Jackman. Feige was the one who pushed for Silvestri, perhaps against the Russos' wishes.

They were wildly effusive about Silvestri on their commentaries, for what it's worth.