Upcoming Scoring Assignments

Jay

6 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

They were wildly effusive about Silvestri on their commentaries, for what it's worth.  

How could you not. It's SIlvestri. And those score are really really great!

I imagine it's a situation similar to the Star Wars Sequels: the director(s) collaborate with an older composer in a blockbuster because producers told them the score needs to be "old fashioned", but once they're free of Marvel/Lucasfilm, they go back to the younger composer they're more familiar with. Rian Johnson went back to Nathan Johnson, and so did the Russos with Jackman.

Sure but like Johnson with Williams it doesn't necessarily mean they had anything against Silvestri. They obviously like Jackman and probably would have hired him again but they seemed happy to have the big guy around. I doubt it was an issue but I agree it was more likely a Feige thing. 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Huh, I thought you were a big fan of HGW (particularly his Narnia scores) 

Oh god no.

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

balloon.gif

I mean some say that HGW was responsible for the majority of the first score...

13 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Huh, I thought you were a big fan of HGW (particularly his Narnia scores) 

I am a great fan of Geoffrey Burgon's Narnia scores.  HGW's are lifeless trash.

8 minutes ago, Counterparts said:

Oh, can I use this as my excuse for never loving it as much as many around here do? ;) 

8 minutes ago, Counterparts said:

Ah, so that's why it's not as good!

6 hours ago, Counterparts said:

Oh god no.

Yeah, but did he write Building the Crate?

JohnPowellbanner.jpg

Didn't think so.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 29/06/2022 at 4:47 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

Disappointed not to see Henry Jackman back. His score for the first is one of his best

This may not be such a bad outcome - Jackman’s recent work has not been anywhere near as fun as his earlier work. I would’ve picked Margeson (who seems to have inherited the early Jackman charm) but Heitor is good too.

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Nope, Powell unfortunately is not scoring Strange Worlds like some fans (myself included) were hoping for.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/09/05/henry-jackman-scoring-disneys-strange-world/

Jackman said the following in an interview earlier this year. It's sounds great to me.

58:00 
> "I think people haven't quite been keeping up on IMDB, but I can't mention-there is literally something that I am right in the middle of right now (sic) that is the exact opposite of Gray Man. It's a full and luxurious use of the symphony orchestra and it's got more influence of sort of Debussy, Strauss, and Szymanowski, although I'm a poor man's version of any of those three. And a million miles away from all that six months of engineering and distorted break beats or something like that."

21 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Jackman said the following in an interview earlier this year. It's sounds great to me.

58:00 
> "I think people haven't quite been keeping up on IMDB, but I can't mention-there is literally something that I am right in the middle of right now (sic) that is the exact opposite of Gray Man. It's a full and luxurious use of the symphony orchestra and it's got more influence of sort of Debussy, Strauss, and Szymanowski, although I'm a poor man's version of any of those three. And a million miles away from all that six months of engineering and distorted break beats or something like that."

Seems interesting, but I haven't liked a Jackman animated score in years. Ralph Breaks the Internet had so much potential (I love the first Wreck-It Ralph score), but instead it was just very forgettable.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow. I really was expecting (and hoping) that Harry would be an obvious shoe-in for this.

But it's good to see a lesser known (but proven) talent take the reigns.

This might be his big break. Good on him.

• 1 month later...

I expect a lot of this in Napoleon - Phipps is brilliant with synthetic vocal manipulation and mixing them into orchestral scores (see also his War and Peace):

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/03/2023 at 4:57 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

This looks a bit like a different take on E.T  in a way. I'm really hoping for a great score by Rivera

The soundtrack's now been released: http://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/04/07/chupa-soundtrack-released/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Will it be Murphy or will he go with someone else?

RDT_20230509_1011595366672656495446098.jpg

I really hope not. 

Either they go with someone who uses JW's great theme and writes a score in the style of Williams. Or they go another way, like with MOS (great score), and let a composer do their own thing. Hiring Murphy would be a mistake though because IMO all his scores are just there and don't do much. Guardians 3 is a good example of this, the score isn't as good as the first 2 but it's not terrible either.

Superman deserves a good score so Gunn should pick a lane, either go with JW's theme and his kind of style or something completely different but if he picks the latter, then I think Murphy would be a mistake.

The fact that he isn't saying who the composer is makes me think it might not be Murphy, but who knows...

43 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Either they go with someone who uses JW's great theme and writes a score in the style of Williams. Or they go another way, like with MOS (great score), and let a composer do their own thing. Hiring Murphy would be a mistake though because IMO all his scores are just there and don't do much. Guardians 3 is a good example of this, the score isn't as good as the first 2 but it's not terrible either.

Superman deserves a good score so Gunn should pick a lane, either go with JW's theme and his kind of style or something completely different but if he picks the latter, then I think Murphy would be a mistake.

The fact that he isn't saying who the composer is makes me think it might not be Murphy, but who knows...

I'm definitely not hoping for John Powell ;-)

1 hour ago, Mr. Who said:

Powell would be great! Also HGW would be interesting.

Well he can take JW's stuff and run with it. Not sure about HGW, his stuff is so often competent but a bit bland. In fairness, they might just do a Man of Steel and go in a completely different direction which wouldn't surprise me at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Another project where Desplat doesn't make it to the end.

"Mark Ronson & Andrew Wyatt take over scoring duties on Greta Gerwig's 'Barbie' starring Margot Robbie & Ryan Gosling"

https://twitter.com/filmmusicrep/status/1661777074426880000

I'm very excited about the film music this year will offer. All of my favourite composers are busy...

John Williams has Indy, John Powell is doing another animation, Thomas Newman has THREE scores coming out [including a Pixar!], James Newton Howard has another Hunger Games.

A lot to look forward to.