E.T. The Isolated Extra Terrestrial

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes the laserdisc.  I've been tempted to get it on a couple of occasions but a laserdisc player for this one thing would be extravagant.  I'd love to find a pirated digital copy.

Wow, need to get my hands on this! 

On 4/27/2011 at 1:54 PM, king mark said:

This is great!

Very important this is archived in the best quality possible. I doubt we'll ever see a proper true release with the correct E.T. is Dying

And yet now KM could barely be bothered it's now getting the "proper" release he assumed would never happen!!!

He was right to be annoyed about it at the time because the expanded versions of E.T. from many. many years back replaced alternates with film versions, yet retained the alternate original version of E.T. Is Dying, which no one wanted and was clearly inferior to the heart-tugging film version. All we needed was a couple minutes of music from one of the most beloved iconic career-defining scores ever to have it complete, yet they still left it off. This is why Williams shouldn't be put in charge of his music. He should compose and conduct it, then surrender the recordings. They're for movies that aren't his property anyway, why should he have any say?

He should bloody leave someone competent in charge of his soundtracks, so they can release the complete session recordings on 17 discs, flubbed takes and all. That's the listening experience we deserve as true fans!

8 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

He was right to be annoyed about it at the time because the expanded versions of E.T. from many. many years back replaced alternates with film versions, yet retained the alternate original version of E.T. Is Dying, which no one wanted and was clearly inferior to the heart-tugging film version. All we needed was a couple minutes of music from one of the most beloved iconic career-defining scores ever to have it complete, yet they still left it off. This is why Williams shouldn't be put in charge of his music. He should compose and conduct it, then surrender the recordings. They're for movies that aren't his property anyway, why should he have any say?

I've said many times that the E.T. ost was a huge disappointment for me when I first got it, since it was missing so much music from the film.

And not just fillers!

On ‎03‎-‎09‎-‎2017 at 11:25 PM, Stefancos said:

I used to rent VHS tapes of DS9, dub them, open up the tape and swap the reels.

Those were the days!

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I've said many times that the E.T. ost was a huge disappointment for me when I first got it, since it was missing so much music from the film.

And not just fillers!

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

To release a cut-down OST is one thing, but when it doesn't actually have the recordings used in the film (or they're the minority), you're missing the point of a score release.

Neither of you understand!

Williams assembled perfect albums when the film originally came out, but he didn't seem to understand how to do expanded versions. If you're going to ditch the album and go with an entirely new presentation incorporating film versions and sort of follow the film's narrative, go all the way. Instead, they Frankensteined these weird CDs that still left off music after 20 or so years of hearing it in the film and nothing but a 40 minute album.

Unfortunately, he was still allowed to have his way with these expanded versions until after Hook was released. Among the victims were the Indiana Jones series after decades of waiting.

2 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Unfortunately, he was still allowed to have his way with these expanded versions until after Hook was released. Among the victims were the Indiana Jones series after decades of waiting.

He must have thought Laurent Bozero was a god of album production.

10 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Among the victims were the Indiana Jones series after decades of waiting.

Wither Desert Chase. :(

At least we got the complete version from DCC, albeit with inferior audio quality.

Unfortunately, the DCC CD wasn't quite complete for Raiders, from what I understand. The LP contained additional material, and I think (could be wrong) that you would then have the complete score for Raiders.

The DCC release is not as bright ad the Concorde release, but IMHO is still excellent, especially for the full Desert Chase music, and the cues being played back at the correct speed.

These scores should be redone in complete form, IMHO. However that looks unlikely any time soon.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Thanks to him we have had some solid releases!

The 20th Anniversary Edition of Close Encounters is superb.

That's true, I must admit. It's easy to overlook now how important his 90's and early 2000's releases were. I mean, thanks to him since 1996 we can put together a very nice 2CD expanded almost complete edition of E.T. by combining the 1996 CD for greater quality and alternate takes, the 1996 Laserdisc for film versions and some then unreleased tracks (both releases produced by him) and the 1982 OST CD for completeness and the concert versions.

Even with its flaws (the most obvious ones are fixable), the 2008 Indy box set was also a huge risk he took by convincing JW not to give us a "Jurassic Park 20th anniversary-like" release and, as far as I know, the last expanded JW scores released by a major label and, even back then, expanded releases were rarely (or weren't at all) been released by major labels.

I'll never forget reading the liner notes for the CE3K Collector's Edition and Williams lovingly recounting one cue where they used a car horn. It wasn't on the actual CD...

1 hour ago, Evil-Lyn said:

I'll never forget reading the liner notes for the CE3K Collector's Edition and Williams lovingly recounting one cue where they used a car horn. It wasn't on the actual CD...

What track was it/would it have been?

On 9/5/2017 at 7:56 PM, OneBuckFilms said:

Unfortunately, the DCC CD wasn't quite complete for Raiders, from what I understand. The LP contained additional material, and I think (could be wrong) that you would then have the complete score for Raiders.

That's not true.  There are 2 cues recorded for Raiders that have never been released officially (though both have leaked out).

1M3 Insert (the additional music for the rolling ball that you can hear in the film; We only have this in crummy bootleg quality or a DVD rip)

8M3 Escaping The Pit (the original version of the music for Indy breaking the wall with the statue and entering into the mummy room; The Concord CD only contains the Insert that replaces the statue riding part with music reworked from the bit where Indy whips over the pit in the beginning; We have this in perfect quality thanks to the Concord pre-release leak thingy)

http://indianajonesmusic.blogspot.com/2008/11/raiders-of-lost-ark-1981.html

I never understood Indy Rides the Statue being in that set. It seemed uncharacteristic for Williams to go with the awkward short film version rather than the leaked track. But then, how did both end up being released one way or another?