E.T. The Isolated Extra Terrestrial

Ok, good to get some clarity!

Comparison between the film version from the isolated score and the 2002 version.

Identical from the start of the Saying Goodbye portion (07:47) till 09:44. Then there is a slight pause in the film version that is edited from the 2002 version.

Then the 2002 version appears to use a different take (maybe because the take used in the film has some orchestra noise.).

At around 10:33 till around 11:37 the 2002 version uses a different arrangement highlighting a gentle flute statement of the E.T. theme rather than the strings.

After this is becomes a bit of a mess. It’s no longer possible to synch up the whole thing. For instance if I sync the 2 tracks up at the cymbal crash at 12:37, then will run perfectly in sync only till around 13:20 (there appears to be micro-edits in the 2002 version) At 4:19 the final brass fanfare, the 2002 version is about a second out of sync

I've made a spreadsheet with 2 tabs: The first comparing the various CD releases and the second breaking down the differences in the Adventures On Earth cues

Let me know if I missed anything

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AjiRtgP4_o4TdG12WENnUDd3U183cUZHZmtOV1otQUE&output=html

So... if I've read all of this correctly, there doesn't need to be any editing done right?

That's up to the individual to decide

-the OST can be used as the film version

In my opinion, yes. It's the exact same takes used. The only difference is the horn overlay. And it has a triangle overlay during E.T.'s take-off that is missing from any other version.

Also bear in mind that the horn overlay appeared on the only album John Williams himself produced, so he wanted them there.

-the 2002 version can be used as the alternate (original version)

Again, yes. Though bear in mind this is the version that John Williams originally recorded.

But if you want to be 100% precise:

-you'd need to edit out the horn overlay from the OST track and into the 2002 track

Well that depends on whether you prefer the film version or the version John Williams initially released.

While I can understand the horn overlay was dropped for the film, musically I find that it flows better

-and clear up the silence between Chase & Saying Goodbye on the OST track

I minor issue IMO. I personally think the few seconds of silence let the music breath a little bit

(I may do the latter, but I don't mind the former.)

Nothing else, right?

Thanks for the spreadsheet!

Steef, these microedits you're talking about, are they also in the 1996 version?

Sigh...so far I have not touched that one yet.

Yeah, the only thing I'm wondering now is whether to use the 1996 or the 2002 version. I'd use the latter because it has a clean ending (and to avoid editing that), but if it has micro-edits that the 1996 versions doesn't have...

Thanks for the detailed response, Steef!

Well that depends on whether you prefer the film version or the version John Williams initially released.

While I can understand the horn overlay was dropped for the film, musically I find that it flows better

Indeed: if you're very strict about having a "film version", you'd need to edit that out of the OST and into the 1996/2002 version, but if you leave it (which I prefer), you'd be left with strictly the original version, and a revised version with all the overlays (even if one of them didn't make it into the final film).

The 1996 and 2002 versions should be identical to each other, other than the Chase -> Saying Goodbye overlap (or lack there of) and clean ending

The could be out of sync only because they edited the takes together slightly differently, but it should be the same takes

Comparing the 2002 with the 1996 version now.

So far they begin to run out of sync after 1:04. :(

Hey it's Bouzereau we're talking about. Maybe him and correct tape speed are not best friends! ;)

There is a rather big discrepancy starting at 4:28. The bells and whistles come in just a tad to soon in the 1996 version. And when I sync them up from that point they later start to run differently again, noticeably at the 6 minute mark.

Hmm...if I sync up the 2002 and 1996 version at around 06:58 (the Flying scene) less then a minute later they are already about one tenth of a second out of sync.

The 1996 version seems to be slightly off in the Escape/Chase section. The 2002 version runs better

If I sync the 1996 and 2002 tracks at the "I'll Be Right Here" point (12:42) they go out of sync noticeably at around 13:20.

IT'S ALL A MESS!

:lol:

If its just slightly different timing going from one take to another it's no big deal. If there's a different performance of the music its worth noting

That, or a minute speed difference between the 1996 and 2002 versions. But indeed, nothing to really fuss about. If in total it's 2 tenth of a seconds off then it's a lot.

Jason. If you have time I would love to have your opinion regarding the OST version versus the version used in the actual film. I think it's the closest one. It even has the same bad edit. ;)

EDIT just saw your spreadsheet, well done!

Luke this is nothing like the Indiana Jones box.

We are talking microseconds here. It makes sense that that would happen if you edit the same takes together at 2 separate occasions 6 years apart.

They obviously were not editing it to the film (and why would they, it was for a CD release).

The 2002 release is still very good.

I've made a spreadsheet with 2 tabs: The first comparing the various CD releases and the second breaking down the differences in the Adventures On Earth cues

Let me know if I missed anything

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AjiRtgP4_o4TdG12WENnUDd3U183cUZHZmtOV1otQUE&output=html

Great work with the spreasheet.

yeah it does sound very good

KM's Observations:

I can hear the exact same background chair noise in Adventures on Earth(10.50),Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye(10.39) and the Isolated Score (10.23).

So I can draw the conclusion that at least all of them are the same take in the "saying goodbye" part

Also this noise comes 10-15 seconds later in Adventures on Earth. Could it mean that my perception that Adventures on Earth is played slower be due to tape speed? 10 seconds is a lot just to be due to editing

I always wondered... on the DVD, the extra audio track with the "live" concert, could it be ripped in good quality? Or there's too much SFX on the channels?

Too much reaction from the audience. It's unique in that Williams actually conducts film versions, like E.T. Phone Home in the toys scene. He also corrects edits, like the end of the chase where the shotgun was removed.

Now this is gonna be a fun and relatively easy edit. Thanks, Stefan! (And thanks Jason for the spreadsheets!)

What I find interesting with E.T. is how relatively unmolested the soundtrack actually is in the film. There are edits, yes, but rather small ones. Williams must've scored to a near-final cut of the film.

Nowadays its so much easier for a director to keep recutting the film. Back in the day it was a much more elaborate process

What I find interesting with E.T. is how relatively unmolested the soundtrack actually is in the film.

Not until the 20th Anniversary version was E.T. molested, including aforementioned moment where the shotgun was removed and the score was butchered at an especially pivotal point.

I've spent the past 30 minutes or so comparing the differences in the finale, thanks to Jason's spreadsheet. I feel like it's a game. Ultimately I decided that I preferred . . .

No triangle at 6:53, the overlap to be present from Chase into Saying Goodbye, the original version of the "Ouch Scene," extra horns at 12:42 and the smooth transition at 13:45. This leaves me with:

The 20th Anniversary version with a bit of editing to get the extra horns from the 1982 release.

Let the editing commence.

Pretty easily, actually. Overlap, fade one out somewhat, fade the other in somewhat then reverse. The key is making sure they are matched up on the exact beat.

Hey fellas, this was just sent to me. This is Mike Matessino's notes on assembling the score.

First of all Williams' E.T. is a masterpiece in every way and one of my favorites. Basically I think that both the 1982 and 2002 releases are essential, but to the discerning listener or completist the definitive version needs to be created from the various available sources, some of which are now hard to come by. In my opinion some mistakes were made along the way with this one, making a bit more of a mess than CE3K.

I think that in 1996 it was an ill-considered idea to make the CD they did since the Laserdisc had an isolated music track on it. The CD was included with the LD and so just about all of the music on it was redundant, while in stores the new release resulted in the disappearance of the original 1982 album. This was bad because about half of the original album consisted of tracks specifically recorded for it (album concert versions of two tracks -- "Abandoned and Pursued" and "E.T.'s Halloween" -- and three straightforward presentations of themes -- "Over the Moon," "E.T. and Me" and "Flying," -- the latter a Grammy winner. The 1982 album itself was also a Grammy winner, so to make it suddenly unavailable made no sense.

What should have happened: remaster the 1982 album and add bonus tracks to it, including anything that was "alternate" or not used in the film. Sell that version in stores and also include it with the LD, on which all the rest of the music would be available via the iso-score. This way the iso-score isn't redundant, the original album is still available, and those who purchase the expensive LD get everything. But this isn't the way it was done.

In 2002, there was an opportunity to fix all of this by releasing a 2-CD set with both the original album and all the other material, but again it didn't happen. What did happen, however, was that some of the incorrect takes on the 1996 CD were replaced with the correct ones (for the tracks "Searching for E.T." and "End Credits"). Even though these had been available on the LD iso-score the 2002 CD offered much better quality. But there was a tradeoff in that the track "E.T. Is Alive" was inexplicably shortened from the full version that had been presented in 1996 and 1982 (on which it was called "E.T. Phone Home").

There are also two other oddities on the 1996 version that could have and should have been corrected in 2002, but weren't. The first is the music for the scene where E.T. dies ("E.T. Is Dying"). Williams's original (unused) version was presented on CD instead of the revised version used in the film, and to this day the only source for it is the LD iso-score (which was not carried over to DVD). The second is the music for the "ouch" section of the goodbye scene at the end of the film. Williams's original version is presented instead of the one including a "more emotional" insert that was incorporated both into the film and the 1982 album.

The complete score can fit on one CD, but it has to be created. And here's how...

From the LD iso-score, the following are needed:

• The Main Title - eerie swelling effect (easy enough to take from DVD)

• Elliott searching the corn field - again the eerie swelling effect

• John Wayne kiss - short segment starting with a riff on the "Quiet Man" theme.

• E.T. Is Dying - revised version heard in the film

And from the 1982 album you need "Adventure on Earth" because of the above-mentioned insert during the "ouch" moment of the finale. Problem is the 2002 CD has much-improved sound quality as compared to the 1982 release (or the LD iso-score) so if you have the capability of doing so it's better to use the 1982 album for just that insert, adding a bit of EQ to make a better match.

Then you need "E.T. Is Alive" from the 1996 album rather than the 2002.

So put this all together and you end up with a complete score fitting on one disc.

What's leftover are basically all alternates:

• the original 1982 album, specifically the five tracks recorded especially for it: "Abandoned and Pursued," "E.T.'s Halloween," "Flying," "E.T. and Me" and "Over the Moon";

• "Searching for E.T." and "End Credits" from the 1996 CD;

• "E.T. Is Dying" and "Goodbye" from either the 1996 or 2002 CD.

This would have made a nice 2nd CD in itself and if they had done this in 2002 there would also have been the opportunity (and the space) to add both Walter Murphy's disco version (which MCA Records owns) and the music Williams recorded for the "E.T. Adventure" ride.

So that's everything. It's all available but it takes some work to locate, sort out and put together the way, in my opinion, it should be.

My grandfather once said, "Enjoy the meal. You don't have to lick the plate clean."

I hope you enjoy the irony.

Even CD producers would like perfect presentations.

Thanks for the info. I thought i read this article before...or big deja-vù