E.T. The Isolated Extra Terrestrial

I didn't know about the "errie swelling effect" in the main titles

That's a gong (or tam tam/chau gong to be technically correct) being rubbed ad lib with a superball mallet.

Here's a video example:

Just imagine that being played slower on a larger instrument.

It's a John Williams staple, that he used time and time again - especially in the 70s.

Perhaps there was originally meant to be no music during the Main Titles, but Spielberg changed his mind during the recording sessions/editing? Williams solved it with this tried-and-true effect.

So wait... what's the difference between the two Main Titles? They don't sound particularly different.

ok for E.T. is Alive they just cut that long sustained note around 2.25?

Ok I just decided to edit the "Searching for E.T. " 1996 Intro into the 2002 track making it a bit longer. It doesn't sound too terrible

The 1996 and 2002 releases were handled by Bouzerou, not Williams. With the 1996 version he left out a few cues and included the original versions of any cue that had a later insert written.

The 1996 and 2002 album says "Album Produced by John Williams". Where did you get that info? I remember an interview of Bouzerou, who he says that Williams arranged the expanded releases (examples: Indiana Jones expanded releases, Jaws 25th Anniversary, Close Encounters of the Third Kind Collector's Edition).

What is probably closer to the truth is that Bouzerou does the actual producing, but follows suggestions/instructions given by Williams, regarding placement of cues etc....

John Williams probably signs off on those releases though. But I don't see him sifting though the mastertapes, looking for the correct takes.

I think that Bouzereau has succeeded and failed as a producer. It's great we've gotten what we have, but there's always something holding it back. I was led to believe he's been involved with the E.T.'s, Close Encounters, Jaws and the Indy trilogy and that he's also a big JW fan himself. Every CD he's been involved with is like a blessing and a curse. They deserved a BIGGER fan and less to no JW influence. Jaws Main Title segueing immediately into Chrissie's Death? Who amongst us would have edited the cues in that fashion? No one. Raiders would have been complete and sounded better, Crystal Skull would be expanded as opposed to the original album with that mediocre track selection, E.T. would be complete with no need for the second re-issue, Close Encounters would be more complete and near-definitive. Many of these fixes for Bouzereau and Williams' album releases have been made available by heroes on the internet and abroad. They are better producers in my eyes.

Crystal Skull would not be expanded this quickly.

It would probably raised the price of the box set quite significantly if it had been expanded.

It may be a case of catering to Williams or no album release.

I don't mind the Jaws Main Titles segueing into The First Victim because there is enough of a pause in between where it doesn't sound awkward.

I have no real issues with the man, he's brought us some awesome stuff, and while it isn't usually perfect we don't generally know exactly what issues might have shaped the sets, i.e. JW involvement.

I have no real issues with the man, he's brought us some awesome stuff, and while it isn't usually perfect we don't generally know exactly what issues might have shaped the sets, i.e. JW involvement.

Agreed, some of us have tried pointing that out but it gets lost amongst the panicking masses. Even Lukas Kendall mentioned some of the issues faced when working with Lucas / Williams & Spielberg.

Other than the flimsy packaging there is really nothing wrong with the Jaws album. I'm not going to fault Bouzereau with the conditions of the sources used.

Other than the flimsy packaging there is really nothing wrong with the Jaws album. I'm not going to fault Bouzereau with the conditions of the sources used.

I wished the sound was a little better, but otherwise it's a fine album.

The only thing I feel comfortable really moaning about is stuff like the speed issues in the Indy Concord set. Fixing that sort of thing is easy enough for us to do it ourselves, but difficult enough for us to wish it'd been done by the people who made the album. I can't imagine any sort of legal or artistic reasons for letting some tracks be a quarter-tone out of tune. Not that everyone will notice it, but still.

And CE3K is damn good to. The music never sounded better and outside of some of the album cues, I don't know what else is truly missing without going back and watching the film.

Packaging is bad though.

And CE3K is damn good to. The music never sounded better and outside of some of the album cues, I don't know what else is truly missing without going back and watching the film.

Packaging is bad though.

One of Williams' favorite cues is missing. I love the CE3K overall though...not to mention it might be my favorite film too. :)

Hey fellas, this was just sent to me. This is Mike Matessino's notes on assembling the score.

This was already in the post in the chrono score thread - which is where some of you might have read it perhaps. :)

One of Williams' favorite cues is missing.

Which one's that?

I'm assuming Zack is referring to 15m1 The Approach, which is the cue heard when the three UFOs (plus the little red straggler) engage in a conversation w/ the humans at Devil's Tower

Also missing from the expanded CD are:

-2m2 Eleven Commandments

-4m4, an untitled cue heard when Ronnie makes out w/ Roy

-5m1 The Shaving Cream Mountain (unused)

-5m2 The Pillow

-9m2/10m1 Lava Flow (unused)

-11m2 Across The Fields (alternate)

-13m2 Climbing The Mountain (missing insert)

-13m3 Outstretched Hands (missing insert)

-15m1a Sweetener (unused)

-15m1b Doppler Effect revised sweetener

-16m2 The Conversation (alternate)

-16m3 The Conversation, Part II (alternate)

-17m2 The Visitors (alternate)

Plus, one random unused cue that sporadically pops up on the footwarmer and sounds like an alternate intro to "TV Reveals"

(...) E.T. would be complete with no need for the second re-issue (...)

The original album with the concert pieces is perfect for me. I do not need a complete score in this case. But if I do: 20th Anniversary is more than enough.

(...) Close Encounters would be more complete and near-definitive. (...)

The Collector's Edition is enough for me, a little bit shorter would be perfect. The original OST is OK, but I do not like the editing sequence. That does not mean that I want the chronological order. It sounds like the CD skip at some times. The same problem for the edited Desert Chase from Raiders. The edited one is better (musical logic!!!), the expanded Desert Chase seems tone down to my ears, but it sounds that the track skips also, so I prefer the unedited version. Without the "skipping" problem, I would prefer the edited version.

I think Bouzereau might have been more our "friend" in the Indy Box than we think

I really think Williams didn't want the 5th disk, but Bouzerau probably insisted until he got a "semi-permission" from Williams for a last minute addition.The interview was probably just an excuse to get those extra cues in

At least that's how I might have tried to squeeze in extra music if Williams was my boss and didn't want to issue complete scores

Maybe the speed issues was "OMG I gotta finish this fast before Williams changes his mind"

I really think Williams didn't want the 5th disk, but Bouzerau probably insisted until he got a "semi-permission" from Williams for a last minute addition.The interview was probably just an excuse to get those extra cues in

At least that's how I might have tried to squeeze in extra music if Williams was my boss and didn't want to issue complete scores

Maybe the speed issues was "OMG I gotta finish this fast before Williams changes his mind"

Are you really sure that the man really has room in his mind about such minutiae that matter only to a few thousands of people around the world?

Sorry, but this is really wild speculation that goes a bit too far. The situation is more likely that Bouzereau wanted Williams' approval as a sign of respect toward the composer, but he wanted also to have a satisfying product for film music fans and collectors.

I don't really get why many people here are so adamantly convinced that Williams is such a pain in the a** when it comes to expanded releases. In my book he never did nothing to prevent something to be released--yes, there's oft-mentioned The Sugarland Express story, but that's really the exception to the rule. When people ask for his direct involvement or approval, Williams gives his own input and ideas on how's better to present the music on disc, but I guess it's totally up to the producer to decide what to do.

We got expanded Williams scores much earlier than the explosion of the soundtrack niche market. We got the Star Wars Anthology back in 1993, Raiders in 1995, E.T. in 1996, the fully complete Star Wars Special Editions in 1997, CE3K in 1998, Superman in 2000...

And in subsequent years, all the specialty lables like Varèse, FSM and Intrada gave us dozens of Williams releases in complete form.

I guess we really are a tad too spoiled about all this.

I guess when a lavishly served complete score has become a norm, people expect it every time despite the individual circumstances of any given release.

I guess we really are a tad too spoiled about all this.

Maurizio, I think most people would prefer that the composer not be involved and have one of the labels handle it and present the music as most fans want it. If there is an exceptional album version, then include as a second or third disc.

Personally I don't mind if an album is sequenced out of order as long as all the music is there.

Maurizio, I think most people would prefer that the composer not be involved and have one of the labels handle it and present the music as most fans want it. If there is an exceptional album version, then include as a second or third disc.

Personally I don't mind if an album is sequenced out of order as long as all the music is there.

I agree with you Mark. I too like to have releases as much complete as it's possible. The thing sometimes I don't get is why some people are so quick to lambast Williams himself for some editing/sequencing choices they don't like, especially if we're talking about expanded releases like Indy, Jaws or E.T.

I guess Williams is always too much busy writing music for new projects to get worried about expanded editions of his older works. If he gets involved in some way, I guess he simply points out how he'd like to see the music presented, but I don't think he goes too far in that. I'm sure he leaves the final decisions to the album producers and supervisors.

How about microedits that leave our outstanding passages( end of Anakin's Dark Deeds)?

I hate them as much as you, but my guess is that music editor Ramiro Belgardt is the one to blame on this specific case.

He is a big SOB if he does them without Williams imput.

Bu im sure those microedits are there to warrant the double dipping when they release the complete scores.

I agree with you Mark. I too like to have releases as much complete as it's possible. The thing sometimes I don't get is why some people are so quick to lambast Williams himself for some editing/sequencing choices they don't like, especially if we're talking about expanded releases like Indy, Jaws or E.T.

I guess Williams is always too much busy writing music for new projects to get worried about expanded editions of his older works. If he gets involved in some way, I guess he simply points out how he'd like to see the music presented, but I don't think he goes too far in that. I'm sure he leaves the final decisions to the album producers and supervisors.

I think stems from people being perplexed as to how the Original Trilogy can receive complete versions, based on surviving and found elements, and yet every other Lucas, Williams & Spielberg production seems to suffer in comparison.

How about microedits that leave our outstanding passages( end of Anakin's Dark Deeds)?

I hate them as much as you, but my guess is that music editor Ramiro Belgardt is the one to blame on this specific case.

In listening to the music, I can understand how that piece might be trimmed in order to present a more cohesive listening presentation.

I can't keep up with all these threads on assembling the cues and the actual cue sheets, but are we certain this wasn't something Williams re-wrote or added after the album was assembled and sent off for release?

That should have been in capitals.

Mark, "anakin's dark deeds" is not missing some low-key undersore repetitive passage, it missing the best part of the final fanfare.

Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye

At 10:00 the 2002 version uses a different take of the same music then was used on the OST. Maybe because the OST recording has some very noticable orchestra noise at around 10:50

Interesting. while the 1982 and 2002 release use the same take of the "I'll Be Right Here" fanfare, for the final fanfare were E.T.'s ship flies off they seem to use a different take. It is impossible to sync up the final 20 seconds. The 1982 release has the take used in the film.

In listening to the music, I can understand how that piece might be trimmed in order to present a more cohesive listening presentation.

I'm not sure you know what part were talking about. To bring it back to E.T. perspective, imagine Adventures on Earth with the loud fanfare after E.T. says "I'll be right here" edited out entirely from the album track.

To me it's that an utterly inexcusable edit. As Luke mentioned it could have been done on purpose (IF we eventually release complete scores you'll want this), or a big fuck you to Williams fans from editor Ramiro Belgart.