La-La Land releasing Elliot Goldenthal's Batman Forever January 3rd 2012 (3500 units)

Jay

No big surprise, I figured we would see this from LaLaLand somewhere down the road.

However I do wish that composers and their assistants would keep it under wraps. It's nice to be surprised. Hopefully Batman & Robin won't be too far behind.

No big surprise, I figured we would see this from LaLaLand somewhere down the road.

However I do wish that composers and their assistants would keep it under wraps. It's nice to be surprised. Hopefully Batman & Robin won't be too far behind.

Agreed about wishing composers and their assistants keep quiet about such things. Ah well can't have everything we wish for, all though for us film score fans so far we've gotten everything. We've been spoiled rotten the last few years. Not that I'm complaining. :)

I'm not complaining about them talking, just don't expect it next week ;)

I'll definitely be getting this one.

As I said I wouldn't be surprised if they release it at Comic Con in July. It'll be a big seller there.

Goldenthal probably got the okay from LLL and WB to reveal it anyway...

I have my fingers crossed for an official Batman & Robin release. That's my Goldenthal Holy Grail.

As I said I wouldn't be surprised if they release it at Comic Con in July. It'll be a big seller there.

MV said on the FSM board:

I knew there was something I forgot to do for Comic Con!

It's been years since I heard any of this score. Other than the ridiculously bombastic (and good) main theme, what's the rest of it like?

I'll have to rewatch the movie for a refresher.

Excellent news! :) I most likely will pick this up.

This one's gonna be good, folks! :)

Ah has the esteemed writer of liner notes some inside information perhaps? ;)

Just to be clear...the facebook page is run by his promotional team, not by the man himself!

It's no less true, of course, but still worth pointing out.

Personally, I have very little interest in this, as I think the existing CD is a perfect representation of the score, but I really wish to see the 50-minute program he once prepared for BATMAN & ROBIN, should that ever happen.

Sorry, but aren't you contradicting yourself? It's nice to be surprised, so you wish they wouldn't have surprised you? Weren't you just surprised?

Not meaning to be harsh, but it just struck me as sounding awkward. I think I know what you meant, you wish it'd been closer to the actual pre-order/release time with track details etc., I'm guessing. It just sounded goofy. :)

I'm not too familiar with this, but I liked the tracks from this on a Kunzel compilation. Back then I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't Elfman, but this is almost as good. And had I known who'd be the next composer in the franchise, I'd been a bit more enthusiastic, probably.

The album used a lot of different takes and different mixes and had cues assembled into unique suites. I love that album, it's one of my favorites. There is plenty of good material not on the original album though.

Neil

DAMNIT, NEIL! You were supposed to remind me of such things!

I knew there was something I forgot to do for Comic Con!

I'll be back in a few months. . .

wink.gif

MV

Any chance we could see the following cues:

1m2 pt I Arkham Asylum (not sure if that one even was ever recorded)

4m6 Circus (all versions)

7m6 pt I - alt.

11m3 Happy Halloween alt.

14m4/14m4R

9m5/9m5R Batman Entrance

9m6/9m6R Batman Phoenix

6m1/6m1R Obligatory Car Chase

It'd awesome if you could include different sections like strings and the rest of the orchestra separately for 9m6 Batman Phoenix kinda like in the original album (Fledermausmarschmusik with that wagnerian fortissimo strings section introduction).

It'd also be awesome if Monica Bellucci hand-delivered my copy, then dropped her overnight bag on my floor and said "Where's the kitchen so I can make you dinner?"

Let me just clarify a few things:

1. We never said we are doing Premiere releases of anything at Comic Con. We may have said we will premiere 3 or 4 releases, but they will not necessarily be never before released. . .although, you never know.

2. I cannot confirm nor deny LLL will be releasing a 2 disc set to Batman Forever, nor can I confirm or deny that we are working in conjunction with Mr. Golldenthal on this project. Nor can I confirm or deny that Mr. Schumacher was interviewed by the great John Takis for the liner notes. Nor can I confirm or deny that John Takis is writing the liner notes. Hell, I don't even know what a John Takis is!

3. Monica Bellucci -- seriously, dude -- you want HER to make YOU dinner?

No, No, No -- you have it all wrong. She is a Goddess -- a creature of such Beauty that us mere mortals do not even deserve to look upon her. She does not make you dinner -- YOU make her dinner!

Better yet, you make her breakfast. You get up at the crack of dawn, and whilst she slumbers, you sneak off into the kitchen and bake her up some home made Croissants (and none of that Dough boy instant crap). I mean home made flaky buttery deliciousness. When she awakes you present her with said Croissants, along with a small plate of fruit (possibly a choice of cheeses) and her morning Cappuccino.

This will ensure that she stays and does not rush off.

However, if this does not work go to Plan B -- chains and padlocks.

Either way she is not leaving. Once she enters she can never leave.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go feed Kristy Swanson.

MV

http://filmscoremont...?threadID=78940

I'm sorry to hear that.

But seriously, it'll be good to have this one. I really enjoy the B&R footwarmer, so it's only logical to get this one (and that one, when it becomes legit). I may even get Batman Returns, as I only have the OST so far.

Batman Returns is a must, if only for greatly improved sound quality. And also there are quite a few great previously unreleased cues. I can't imagine listening to it any other way than in its complete form.

Ironically, the OST version seemed too long and the complete version is just about the right length. Probably because you get the thematic development in all its glory and it is better balanced listening experience that way. Still, the OST is worth keeping, for it contains unique edits of some cues.

Karol

+1 on the Batman Returns recommendation.

- Sound quality is top notch

- Presents the score complete, chronological, with a ton of alternates (some are album versions, BTW).

- Liner notes are awesome

I was overwhelmed when I first got it, which is interesting for me. But I find the OST is pretty much a frizbee now.

The OST is infamous for having the worst presentation (strange cue breaks, even stranger, non-descript track names etc.) I've ever seen.

It plays okay as an album, but even with the constraints of the time, could (and should) have been far better.

The LLL release is one of the best on my CD shelf.

BATMAN RETURNS is a good score, but it's too long. There's too much busy, bombastic music to keep the interest going. But the themes for the Penguin and Catwoman are gorgeous. And yes, I only have the original release, which is literally MORE than enough for me. Ideally, I'd had a professionally produced album that was about 20-25 minutes shorter.

I'd say hold off on the other Batmans because they're sure to be on sale when Forever comes out.

Good point. Hopefully there's some copies of the expanded Batman set left by the time LLL releases Batman & Robin.

I'm so happy to hear that we will be getting BATMAN FOREVER 2 CD someday soon! I really hope both this and GREMLINS (from FSM) really do come out this year...

Speaking of Goldenthal, I wonder if there will ever be hope for a complete version of his score to SPHERE? The album presentation for that score was very short and poor compared to all that is in the film.

Sphere's Varese, so unfortunately the chances of seeing an expansion aren't good any time soon. (MV posted some time ago that Varese has perpetuity on a lot of stuff).

Batman is just another 'big' franchise I don't have much interest in unfortunately.

Sorry, but aren't you contradicting yourself? It's nice to be surprised, so you wish they wouldn't have surprised you? Weren't you just surprised?

Not meaning to be harsh, but it just struck me as sounding awkward. I think I know what you meant, you wish it'd been closer to the actual pre-order/release time with track details etc., I'm guessing. It just sounded goofy. :)

No, most film score fan knew at some point this was going to be released by LaLaLand, if there were no hassles involved. However we didn't know when, and technically still don't.

However this is the the 5th or 6th major title to be leaked by a composer / assistant / SAE. It would have been nice to keep hoping and then have MV announce it as a title without any leaks.

Much like Spartacus, most people "knew" it was going to come from Varese but it was a pleasant surprise when it was finally announced. After LaLaLand released Godzilla I figured it would only be a matter of time before ID4 came from them. I would have preferred to have been "surprised" when it was posted on their website and not 2 months or so before hand when it was leaked by Arnold.

There's a difference between knowing something may be coming compared to when it actually arrives.There are quite a few titles I have a good feeling about that will probably be coming from certain labels but I want the announcement to be a surprise.

Don't forget too, thanks to Giacchino we knew that Varèse was working on a 2-CD set for Star Trek but we had no idea when it would be out. I think most of us were practically surprised it was released as early as it was.

It's been years since I heard any of this score. Other than the ridiculously bombastic (and good) main theme, what's the rest of it like?

It's big and loud. Perfectly befitting a blockbuster popcorn superhero movie.

It's big and loud. Perfectly befitting a blockbuster popcorn superhero movie.

It's ridiculously big and loud. I think Goldenthal just wrote the loudest, non-balancest score he could, throwing in every available cliché.

It's brilliant.

Not that it was anything new for this series at that point. Neither Batman nor Batman Returns (or even Mask of the Phantasm) are known for their subtlety. ;)

Two Goldenthal scores are like Daugherty's Metropolis on over-drive. If that's even possible.

And I love 'em all!

Karol

Well, nice release, but not the Goldenthal's score I want most. Were is the Final Fantasy The Spirit Within? Any chance?

I brought the DVD and rip some isolated score from it. But it is not enough. He talk too much over music.

Not that it was anything new for this series at that point. Neither Batman nor Batman Returns (or even Mask of the Phantasm) are known for their subtlety. ;)

Of those, I only know Elfman's first. But compared to Goldenthal's, it's chamber music. ;)

Of those, I only know Elfman's first. But compared to Goldenthal's, it's chamber music. ;)

It has been too long since I have seen the movie, but with quotes like that I need to watch it just for the score.

We knew it was only a matter of time before this came out from LLL. Not sure if any of you remember but MV had posted a while back stating that he wanted to get all the Batman (film) scores out from the LLL label since Batman is practically his baby.