Best JW Score of 2002 - (A surprising Personal Choice).

jasonblueeyes

This IS a surprising choice but I have to pick 'Minority Report' for it's complex structuring, It's ability to shift from many moods and Feelings and to Help compliment the rather complicated narrative of the film. (At least I felt).

The movie shifts between moments of Horror, action, loss, mystery and tenderness and I think JW's work in this score sweeps us up right away and takes us on the same journey as John Anderton.

My favorite cue is also a surprising one. I choose the angelic theme of Sean and Lara over all others. This Haunting cue has stayed with me throughout the year and over everything else JW has done this year, this one is always with me.

'Anderton's Great Escape' is a breathless cue (2nd best action cue of the year, I have to give 1st place to 'Chase Through Courascant' as the year's best action cue).

And of course nothing gave me chills more than the 'Visions of anne Lively' cues with that lone female voice crying out to be heard.

I truly believe this score should really be listned to again by some members who have expressed disappontment over this score, but of course everything is a matter of personal taste.

It's really something quite great.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's good to hear someone express their positive feelings about the score. i definitely agree with a lot of what you said. there's definitely a lot going on in the score, but like the movie it lacks color. and that is done deliberately. i still thin it is very complex and that the Anne Lively theme is chilling to the bone. i do, however, think that Anderton's Great Escape is the best action cue of the year. interesting thoughts though; i definitely understand where you're coming from.

Ted

I like "A New beginning"a lot.I still feel that the action cues in MR are assaulting,so i can't enjoy it all that much on it's own.One action cue that is quite frantic but manages in my mind to remain quite coherent and cool sounding would be "Dueling the Basilisk" in HP,that is my fav.action cue of the year.

Here are my overall best c.d. tracks of 2002(original material composed this year):

The Float

Learning the Ropes

Fawkes the Phoenix

Dobby the House Elf

The Chamber of Secrets

Fawke is Reborn

Dueling the Basilisk

Reunion of Friends

Sean's Theme

A New Beginning.

Yoda and the Younglings

Love Pledge and the Arena

Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale

K.M.

Minority Report is a really good score, I agree. I love Sean's Theme (album version and as presented in the other tracks), Spyders, and the Pre Crime motif. To me, Anderton's Great Escape really is great, especially the opening. I'll list my favorite JW cues of the year like KM did, and I'm interested to see what others' are.

Love Theme from Attack of the Clones

Minority Report

Spyders

Sean's Theme

Anderton's Great Escape

A New Beginning

Fawkes the Phoenix

The Flying Car

Dobby the House Elf

Fawkes is Reborn

Dueling the Basilisk

Reunion of Friends

Harry's Wondrous World (with new ending)

The Float

Catch Me if You Can

The Airport Scene

Learning the Ropes

In my opinion, John Williams has had a marvelous year. I really hope he becomes involved in film projects for '03!

Ray Barnsbury

Across the Stars

Zam the Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant

Jango's Escape

The Tusken Camp and the Homestead

Minority Report

Sean and Lara

Spyders

Everybody Runs!

Sean's Theme

A New Beginning

Fawkes the Phoenix

The Chamber of Secrets

Dobby the House Elf

Spiders

Dueling the Basilisk

Catch Me if You can

The Float

The Father's Theme

Learning the Ropes

I love the score. Love it. :) Although no one has mentioned Everybody Runs it's probably my favorite track on the whole disc. The string writting is great for the cue.

Justin

I love the score. Love it.  Although no one has mentioned Everybody Runs it's probably my favorite track on the whole disc. The string writting is great for the cue.

It's definately my favourite cue of the score, too! But nevertheless, I love the hole disc:)

Regards

Markuz

Best score of 2002?

Gotta be The Fury or Home Alone 2, although I haven't heard Fiddler yet.

Stefancos- who thinks 2002 was overall a very dissapointing Williams year.  :)

But The Fury, Home Alone 2 and Fiddler on the Roof were not composed in 2002 I think!!!

IMHO 2002 is the best John Williams' year until 1993!!!

He composed 4 great scores which are IMHO very different in style. And I agree that Minority Report is the best of them. It is very complex and it works perfectly in the film. I love it!!!

E-Wan

I would have said "it was a disappointing year by Johnny" before CMIYC came out...

To me, it's definitely his best score of the year (right in front of MR).

But the best score of the year is TTT, and even maybe one of the best score in the last decade...oops sorry !? I've mentionned it... :roll:

I love the score. Love it. :) Although no one has mentioned Everybody Runs it's probably my favorite track on the whole disc. The string writting is great for the cue.

Justin

Definitely one of the score's highlights, unlike "Anderton's Great Escape."

Justin

Definitely one of the score's highlights, unlike "Anderton's Great Escape."

nah, very much like Anderton's Great Escape.

here are my picks

Love Theme from AOTC

Chase Through Coruscant

Confrontation with Dooku

Sean and Lara

Everybody Runs!

Anderton's Great Escape

Visions of Anne Lively

Fawkes the Phoenix

The Chamber of Secrets

The Spiders

Dueling the Basilisk

Catch Me If You Can

Recollections

The "Float"

Learning the Ropes

A Broken Home

Ted

Okay, this is just your OWN point of view...

But to me, TTT is a lot better than AOTC and Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets.

That's all. :sigh:

I know you're a John Williams' fan (just like me), but i'm sure you can still appreciate other composer's works, right ? :roll:

Williams is on a role, 2002 is great.

2002 was great in quantity, but rather mediocre in quality.

Still CoS was very good, and the re-releases of The Fury and Home Alone 2 very welcome.

The Call Of The Champions CD and the Yo Yo Ma recordings were also first rate, but his filmscores were not as good as I had hoped (Still haven't heard CMIYC though)

John has had worse years, but definatly better once to.

Stefancos- :sigh: