Eurovision Song Contest

Greg1138

Congrats to Azerbaijan, but you gotta love the fact that the winners were introduced with "Olympic Fanfare and Theme"....poor old JW - what would he think??

He, he...yeah, I had to smile at that. Switched channels back and forth yesterday, as I really have very little interest in ESC when Norway isn't in the final (and, of course, most of it is crap anyway), but caught the fanfare when the winner was announced.

That guy does indeed pop up everywhere.

Congrats to Azerbaijan, but you gotta love the fact that the winners were introduced with "Olympic Fanfare and Theme"....poor old JW - what would he think??

I am sure the permission to use this was obtained. They can't just use copyrighted music willy-nilly...

I'm sure JW was like, "Wait! Did I write that thing? Yeah, whatever."

I knew I'd heard that music before, but didn't put any thought into placing it properly.

I had the main part of the show on with no sound (turning on occasionally to hear Norton's commentary), but watched the voting in full. And surely I can't be the only one who thought our song (Blue) wasn't actually very good..

I am sure the permission to use this was obtained. They can't just use copyrighted music willy-nilly...

I'm sure JW was like, "Wait! Did I write that thing? Yeah, whatever."

I'm sure the permissions were cleared, and I'm equally sure Williams involved in any way.

Hehe, it really bugs you when people like different things to yourself, doesn't it.

Nope.

It bugs me when they can't be missionised.

I'm sure the permissions were cleared, and I'm equally sure Williams involved in any way.

I seem to have left out half a sentence there..

I'm sure the permissions were cleared, and I'm equally sure Williams was not involved in any way.

I seem to have left out half a sentence there..

I'm sure the permissions were cleared, and I'm equally sure Williams was not involved in any way.

Well, perhaps not JW himself, but his representatives (his agents) for sure.

Some people seem to think that the creator/artist has no say whatsoever on what happens to his/her work. But that's not true.

Unless the artist gives away all his rights, he has the last say (well, of course; most successful artists are very generous, but they aren't running chartity organizations, either). Now, in this case, I am not sure who the copyright holder is. Either JW or the Olympic committee...

So incomplete/refused releases are down to respect for his wishes, and not because he has any actual say?

I've never known whether Sugarland Express for example, was a case of Williams owning the rights, or Intrada just didn't want to do it without his blessing.

Well, if JW really wants to do it, he only has to find a record company willing to do it (Intrada or some other company).

If Intrada really wants to do it, it can go and ask JW. Again, I think JW has finaly say (not as regards music as heard in the movie, but as regards CD and album deals--why else does it always say "produced by JW"?).

Apparently neither wants to do Sugarland Express.

Well if John Williams does not want this released. And the owners of the music respect his wishes, then it will not be released. But I don't know if he can legally stop a release from happening. Zimmer did not want Rain Man to be released it seems, Horner did not want Battle Beyond The Stars to get a CD release.

Some people seem to think that the creator/artist has no say whatsoever on what happens to his/her work. But that's not true.

Usually, the publishers take care of this sort of thing. And considering how in demand Williams' music is, I don't believe he would have the time to get involved in requests to use his music for events like this - besides, he doesn't strike me as the type who would take a particularly active part in that stuff to begin with, once his music is published.

The piano score in The John Williams Anthology credits Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp. & Marjer Publishing Co. (BMI) as the copyright holder. "All rights administered by Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp.". But this might just refer to the piano adaptation?

Trust me, Williams will object if the Klu Klux Klan is planning to use The Emperial March for their demonstrations.

Usually, the publishers take care of this sort of thing. And considering how in demand Williams' music is, I don't believe he would have the time to get involved in requests to use his music for events like this - besides, he doesn't strike me as the type who would take a particularly active part in that stuff to begin with, once his music is published.

Every (serious) artist ist concerned about what happens to his stuff. But that's what agents are for. When I say JW has final say, that means the agents, acting on behalf of their client, have to approve and give the permission to use a certain piece of music. Of course. That's one way for the agents to make money, too.

And when it's such a big deal like the Eurovision Contest (comparatively; over 120 million viewers througout Europe), I am sure the agents do ask JW personally. If Superbowl wants to use JW music, you don't think the agents won't ask JW?

So incomplete/refused releases are down to respect for his wishes, and not because he has any actual say?

I've never known whether Sugarland Express for example, was a case of Williams owning the rights, or Intrada just didn't want to do it without his blessing.

The studio owns the rights, Williams requested that it not be released.

Universal, out of respect for what Williams has done for them over the years, probably agreed with him. That's what I got from Roger Feigelson's original post.

Trust me, Williams will object if the Klu Klux Klan is planning to use The Emperial March for their demonstrations.

Oh, he wrote that too? How's it go?

Oh, he wrote that too? How's it go?

Exactly like 'The Imperial March' but with heavy metal guitars.

Eurovision is to music as Ed Wood is to movies. I love it!

I only watched the voting. Pretty women as usual. Why are Ukraine women so beautiful?

Alex

Universal, out of respect for what Williams has done for them over the years, probably agreed with him. That's what I got from Roger Feigelson's original post.

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what has John Williams ever done for us?

• 11 years later...

I have already forgotten most songs, but I did like Sweden and Portugal

(and sorta Estonia, but thats more because thursday's singers were so much blander than tuesday's... except for Austria)

After watching the semis and watching a few acts properly, and not briefly sampling on Spotify, I found that I like well over half a dozen songs this year.

The UK entry isn't as impactful as Sam Ryder's, but it's memorable and Mae Muller is positive and chatty - voters seem to like that. I don't expect her to win for a nanosecond but I don't think she'll do badly.

Other than that, Poland's song is insanely catchy although the singer has very dodgy stage presence. Loreen's new song is ok - it doesn't have that 'thing' that made Euphoria so memorable though.

I also like Lithuania, Georgia, Estonia, Iceland, Israel and Norway. There are a couple of artists from who I've bought multiple albums based on hearing their Eurovision entry, so amongst all the fun and madness, I like it as a chance to discover some new artists.

33 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

Where have you been the last decade?

This thread had actually lain dormant for longer than that, which is quite amusing. 

@Naive Old Fart ... yeaah, in more recent years it has been labelled as a 'celebration of diversity'. Nothing wrong with a bit of camp or whatever, but 4 hours of it is frankly too much for me. 

Had to laugh at the organisers saying that President Zelensky being allowed to speak by video link would politicise the event, as if the way the participating countries vote hasn't been highly political for years or something.   

19 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Had to laugh at the organisers saying that President Zelensky being allowed to speak by video link would politicise the event, as if the way the participating countries vote hasn't been highly political for years or something.   

Voting being political isn't on the organisers though - it just happens and is completely unavoidable in any unbiased voting system.

They do have the issue of Russia being banned, which is about as political as it gets but I guess they want to focus on the music and not have any part of the show veer over into other areas - I can understand that position.

My wife watches this with the interest and zeal I watch a World Cup final, so I make an effort to watch it with her.

But it can get quite unbearable sometimes. A lot of it is a celebration of bad taste. It makes what is merely passable to really stand out

1 hour ago, Romão said:

My wife watches this with the interest and zeal I watch a World Cup final, so I make an effort to watch it with her.

But it can get quite unbearable sometimes. A lot of it is a celebration of bad taste. It makes what is merely passable to really stand out

Man, dont force her to watch the soccer finals and you will have an excuse to not have to endure this crap 😬

If you cant watch it to laugh at the ridiculous parts as well as enjoying the good songs then I understand why its suffering for you.